Playing burned CDs on Older CD Players

Help,

Up until recently, my CD player had had no trouble playing the CDs I burn.

However, last week, my old CD burner died and I had to replace it. Ever since the replacement, I have not been able to play CD burned on the new burner.

All of my previously burned CDs (old burner) still work fine.

I can play the new CDs in my car or in my computer, no problem.

I’ve spoken with LG, the manufacturer of the new CD Burner, and with Nero, but neither have been any help at all.

It is very important that the CDs I burn play on as many CD Players as possible because I write my own music, burn my own CDs and sell them around the word. In the past four years I have only had 4 returns. I cannot afford to have my new CDs rejected by CD players that had no difficulty playing my old CDs.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Max

Hi and Welcome!

Old CD players were not designed to deal with something else than factory-pressed discs.

If a burned CD-R will play on such a unit depends on several factors:

[ul]
[li] The blank media that is used[/li][li] The burning drive[/li][li] The burning parameters[/ul][/li]I personally own a very picky JVC UX-T1.
What did work for me, was the combination of Ritek* or CMC* made discs burned on a Pioneer DVR-112 at 16x speed.

So you may experiment with several types of blank media and several burn speeds in order to get your discs working. If you are not successful, you need another burner then.

Michael

• Ritek and CMC made discs aren’t very high rated, but my old player could deal with them better than with high-quality TY discs.

I forgot to add some drive recommendations for this case.
Hoping that CD audio quality didn’t get worse with newer models, Pioneer drives are a good choice. Another excellent option would be Optiarc AD-520x or 720x series drives.

Michael

[QUOTE=Max Tell;2245527]Help,

Up until recently, my CD player had had no trouble playing the CDs I burn.

However, last week, my old CD burner died and I had to replace it. Ever since the replacement, I have not been able to play CD burned on the new burner.

All of my previously burned CDs (old burner) still work fine.

I can play the new CDs in my car or in my computer, no problem.

I’ve spoken with LG, the manufacturer of the new CD Burner, and with Nero, but neither have been any help at all.

It is very important that the CDs I burn play on as many CD Players as possible because I write my own music, burn my own CDs and sell them around the word. In the past four years I have only had 4 returns. I cannot afford to have my new CDs rejected by CD players that had no difficulty playing my old CDs.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Max[/QUOTE]

It’s true that older CD players sometimes have trouble with burnt CD’s, however given that the player in question previously played burnt discs ok then that situation should not have changed just becuase you got a new burner.

I’d say the most likely problem is simply that you are using new CD authoring software with your new burner and some settings have changed. (Is that correct, are you using a new version of nero?)

I’m using Nero-6 (classic). The following are the settings I recommend for best audio CD compatibility with this version. (If your version is different then try to find similar options ok).

1. When you select a new compilation in Nero make sure the compilation type is “Audio CD”.

2. Under the “Audio CD” tab of the new comilation untick the “Write Text on CD” checkbox.

3. Under the “Burn” tab of the new compilation make sure that both the checkboxes “write” and “Finalize CD” are ticked. Finalize CD is very important ok!

4. Select write method “Disc at once” from the “write method” drop-down box.

5. Select “write speed” 16x from the write speed drop-down box, then click burn.

BTW. One other question, have you recently changed your brand of CD-R media. If so then obviously that could also have an impact.

Forgot to ask, what model burner is it?

Hi,[QUOTE=uart;2245916]It’s true that older CD players sometimes have trouble with burnt CD’s, however given that the player in question previously played burnt discs ok then that situation should not have changed just becuase you got a new burner.[/quote]Hm. his old discs do work, but those which were made with the new burner don’t.

I’d say the most likely problem is simply that you are using new CD authoring software with your new burner and some settings have changed.
I guess, this is an issue directly related to the burner.

[QUOTE=uart;2245919]Forgot to ask, what model burner is it?[/QUOTE]Indeed, that`s the most important information missing. Some LG, as noted in the initial post. Since even the discs made with my trusty 4163 8and I get really nice scans with TY and this drive) fail with my picky player, things can only get worse with the newer models. No idea about the Panasonic based drives, but I doubt they will be better than Pioneers or 20x Optiarcs.

Michael