Playing a DVD+R on a DVD Player

I have been looking at various software products for downloading photos to a DVD for playing on a TV. These are mostly TRIAL programs with the ability to add text, music, etc.

I have Photo Story 3 with my XP system, but the program only allows 300 photos and some of my photo files are larger.

I just tried PhotoVidShow Trial and downloaded to a DVD+R. The disc plays on my computer, but when I place it in my DVD Player - Cyber Home CH-DVD-300 - it does not read the disc - a question mark appears over the “read” on the TV and the player’s open and shut light blinks and turns “red”.

The player will play CDs of the photos. The photos are jpeg.

The information I have found on the DVD player - Media Type - Video CD , DVD-RW , CD , DVD+R , CD-R , CD-RW , DVD-R , SVCD , DVD+RW , DVD - indicates it should play a DVD+R.

Am I missing something on the burning of the DVD process?

The DVD+R is a GQ 4.7GB 16X.

Thanks

Well, it could be the Cyber Home CH-DVD-300 doesn’t like the GQ media, try different media…Could be the PhotoVidShow Trial app did’nt create/burn a proper DVD file that the player supports…Does this app create a copy of your files on HDD that you can then burn with a better burning app, like IMGburn?.
I find DVDSlideshowGui a very good app for creating and burning(via Imgburn) a proper DVD photoslide show…try it out…Good luck!..

http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/

Finished trying the following media - Verbatim, Philips and TDK. All failed to play in the DVD Player.

Even tried Magix Xtreme PhotoStory on CD & DVD 8 and both media GQ and Verbatim failed.

Again all of the discs will play on the DVD in the computer.

All of the media is +R. Is there something about +R vs -R?

Both PhotoVidShow and Magix Xtreme were trial software. I would think that the trail version is similiar to the full version except the number of photos were limited so as to give you an idea how it performs on the TV.

Thanks

What are the specs on the drive you are using to burn the Dvd+Rs?

Is there something about +R vs -R?

Yes, try -R. You have to jump through a few hoops to get +R to work on some players.

Search the forum for bitsetting.

+R discs need to be set to -ROM, basically, to work in some standalone players.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2299466]Search the forum for bitsetting.

+R discs need to be set to -ROM, basically, to work in some standalone players.[/QUOTE]
Many new burners, my Pioneer 115D and Optiarc 7200A included, do [B]not [/B]booktype/bitset SL +R media.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2299732]Many new burners, my Pioneer 115D and Optiarc 7200A included, do [B]not [/B]booktype/bitset SL +R media.[/QUOTE]

Your Optiarc must be defective, my 7201A happily bitsets +R media. I would not consider purchasing any optical drive that did not have that functionality.

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2299808]Your Optiarc must be defective, my 7201A happily bitsets +R media. I would not consider purchasing any optical drive that did not have that functionality.[/QUOTE]
Hardly. Bitsetting SL media is passe these days.

Some comments on the Optiarc 7200A from the CDFreaks review:

[I]* Supports automatic BitSetting (BookType DVD-ROM) on DVD[B]+DL[/B]. [/I]
[I]* [B]No BitSetting[/B] (BookType DVD-ROM) for[B] DVD+R/RW[/B] media. [/I]
[I]* DVD+R/RW BitSetting would be nice and would enhance compatibility with some older standalone DVD players. [/I]

Here’s some info on your drive, seems it must also be ‘defective’.

It is very simple to get bitsetting on a 7201a. Look here for Liggy’s firmware: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7200A/
This one specifically: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/fwinfo/en/7201a/109bt
Perhaps brokenbuga is using this firmware.

I am using Liggy’s firmware for the 7240s and am quite pleased with it so far. I also bitset all my +R disks as a matter of course, with all my drives.

Apparently not as passe as you seem to think since it still presents problems for some.

Your misguided attempt to “teach” me about my drive is appreciated. I see that your profound search skills failed to mention the firmware that allows for bitsetting +R media.

Edit: Exactly [I][B]Kerry56[/B][/I], somehow I suspect [B][I]MysticEyes[/I][/B] already knows all of this.

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2299826]Bitsetting SL media is passe these days.
[/QUOTE]

Says who?

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2299844]Apparently not as passe as you seem to think since it still presents problems for some.

Your misguided attempt to “teach” me about my drive is appreciated. I see that your profound search skills failed to mention the firmware that allows for bitsetting +R media.

Edit: Exactly [I][B]Kerry56[/B][/I], somehow I suspect [B][I]MysticEyes[/I][/B] already knows all of this.[/QUOTE]
The point was that out of the box these units [B]DO NOT BITSET[/B] SL media. And NEC/Optiarc [B]does not provide [/B]any firmware to do so. Your clever reference to me having a ‘defective’ burner was obviously wrong.

You stated:

I would not consider purchasing any optical drive that did not have that functionality.

But you did in fact purchase one. And if you had actually altered it with unapproved, warranty voiding firmware, why didn’t you mention that fact? It seems rather odd that you would think the burner was ‘defective’, doesn’t it?

There are some who might want a bitsetting burner and going by your cavalier and inaccurate statement would find themselves out of luck. This is the Newbie forum, many are reluctant to use even manufacturer firmware updates.

@camellote

Originally Posted by MysticEyes
Bitsetting SL media is passe these days.

Says who?

It would appear both Pioneer and NEC/Optiarc.

We’re getting very far off topic here gentlemen. Unless psiebold returns and tells us his model of burner, this discussion of bitsetting with Optiarcs and Pioneers should come to a halt. And yes, I’m guilty of derailing this thread too.

Bitsetting might prove to be effective for him and his particular players, but we need to know his equipment first.

Nice reading all of the info.

When I download to the DVD, this is what shows as the DVD unit - Lite-On DVDRW SHW-160P6S PGS1.

The desktop unit is an E-Machine T6534; Optical Drive - DVD +/-RW Multiformat Double Layer.

All of the media I have tried were standard DVD+R.

I will try _R media tomorrow.

I will have to look up bitsetting.

The DVD Player was bought in 2003.

Thanks

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2299892]

@camellote

It would appear both Pioneer and NEC/Optiarc.[/QUOTE]

No, NEC/Optiarc don’t say that bitsetting is passé (they are not Armani or Ferragamo or Chanel). NEC/Optiarc could be saying that they didn’t want to include bitsetting capabilities in the firmware for their burners.
Still, there is a lot of people who flashes their burners to be able to bitset their media, check the burner and media forums.

pseibold
Lite-on has a bitsetting utility for their drives that you might want to try. http://www.liteonit.com/global/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153 Remember bitsetting (also called changing booktype) only applies to +R media.

You can also bitset with this drive from within ImgBurn, which is a free burning program. Nero should be able to do this as well. Let us know if you would like instructions for doing this with one of these programs.

I don’t recognize the firmware you have in your Lite-on (PGS1). I didn’t see it listed anywhere. The latest at CodeKing’s site and at the Lite-on site is PS0B, but you may have an OEM variety firmware installed.

Agreed. PGS1 is probably eMachines OEM firmware.

Here’s to hoping that the DVD-R work, and that trying to change the +R bitsetting will ease some of the pain of trying to use +R.

Also, have you been trying to write the discs at any particular speed?

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2299892]The point was that out of the box these units [B]DO NOT BITSET[/B] SL media. And NEC/Optiarc [B]does not provide [/B]any firmware to do so. Your clever reference to me having a ‘defective’ burner was obviously wrong. [/Quote]

Clearly you cannot detect sarcasm, which is surprising given your knack for using bold text to emphasize your point.

This is the Newbie forum

Which is precisely why I gave the OP the information he needed to resolve his problem. I’m not sure why you took exception, but whatever. I stand by my claim that proper bitsetting of the media will allow the discs to play in the standalone player. Using -R discs might work just the same, what’s wrong with giving someone the knowledge to make what they already have work?

As far as the speed of recording - 16X. I tried a real slow speed 6X which did not work in the DVD player and also was jumpy when played in the desktop. One of the DVD trial software systems I used had “Max”. The media I used seems to have 16X stamped on them.

The E-Machine has not be modified, so the DVD writer is stock.

I have gotten some info on bitsetting and might give that a try after I test a few -R media.

Thanks