PlayFair software pulled from SourceForge due to DMCA request

vbimport

I just posted the article PlayFair software pulled from SourceForge due to DMCA request.

A few days ago we reported about PlayFair, an utility that could decrypt the iTunes AAC files as they are distributed by Apple. Since the software decrypts the protection of the files it…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8114-PlayFair-software-pulled-from-SourceForge-due-to-DMCA-request.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8114-PlayFair-software-pulled-from-SourceForge-due-to-DMCA-request.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

F***k the DMCA! :frowning:

Nothing unexpected…

I would have expected nothing less from Apple. However they must be remarkably naive if they believe that the software has been muzzled. Naturally, it has already been disseminated far and wide. The mere existance of such software is a blow to DMCA and DRM. Those blows will continue to land. Sooner or later (and my guess is later) these companies are going to realize that developing such potectionism is simply a waste of resources. By that time however many millions will have been spent is a fuitless endeavor. Far better they had spent the time and effort searching for new ways to please their customers.

I have issues with it being pulled. People on other forums are missing the point here. A> It wasn’t a distributed binary, it was source code. B> VideoLan uses the exact same code to distribute protected AAC files around your local network. C> This thing doesn’t work to unprotect music you don’t legally own. D> You can already “circumvent” the DRM restrictions by burning your music to a CD. Hence, I disagree with their pulling it due to DMCA. If it was a distributed binary then MAYBE, but, certainly not as source code. And since it doesn’t do anything than you can’t do already without a few extra steps, I feel that calling this utility illegal and in violation of the DMCA ridiculous. I’m sure many others don’t share my opinion, but, let’s face it…do you REALLY believe this is going to open up a whole new avenue of music piracy? Please…

As far as I know (and traceroute thinks the same), Videolan is located in France and they don’t care for any f***ing DMCA :g

For those that care, it would seem they found a new home. Check out doom9.org for a new link.

F*CK apple, they can suck my port 69 untill they ping themselves to death. This really blows :r

SamuriHL, I never thought of it that way. Your points shed new light on the subject and it’s time like these that I wish I was a lawyer with spare time on his hands to initiate a lawsuit and let what’s right, survive. Not corporate paranoia/greed. If the tool ONLY works on legal copies of the songs, there’s nothing illegal about it. This is an example of pure DCMA abuse.

A lot of people are reading how the news is reporting this (I.E. a news report I saw had the headline “iTunes DRM Cracked!”) and thinking that somehow any iTunes file can be cracked by anyone. That is not the case. There are several LEGITIMATE uses for this software. One is, like I said, to use portables that don’t support protected AAC files. (Um, anything OTHER than an iPod at this point!!) The other is to play these files on non-supported operating systems like Linux. I love iTunes and would not want to see it get TRULY hacked where all of its music is available to anyone, but, these issues I just raised ARE legitimate. I realize that once you unprotect your music you can then do whatever you want with it, but, hopefully if you’re paying for your music you won’t then turn around and unprotect it and throw it on a P2P network. But, to those that argue that this will allow widespread piracy of iTunes music, um, what’s to stop someone from burning them to a CD and reripping them? Yea, ok, the quality drops slightly, but, there’s nothing stopping people from doing that and then shoving them up on a P2P network. This program doesn’t enable anything NEW, it just makes it EASIER for those that want to actually USE the music they bought legitimately. I’m no lawyer and this is all just my opinion. But to me this is an issue of fair use.

New host. http://sarovar.org/ :wink: