Playback stutters

vbimport

Great Guide. I am trying to put .m2ts files from my camcorder on dvd-r disks as I only shoot 10-20 minutes at a time. I followed the instructions and the disks worked fine. I used Sony dvd-r 48x blanks. I played them on my sony S350 BD player. I used the clips that were given. The Planet Earth worked perfectly. Cars (m2ts) stutterd every few seconds. Cars (ISO) worked almost perfectly. I noticed that Planet Earth was approx 17Mbps and Cars was around 25 Mbps. I don’t know the bps for CARS (ISO). Is there a fundemental limit the the bps the sony can read off the dvd? How do you creae an ISO file - is this a better way to go? The video I shot in a canon at 24 Mbps also stuttered. Do I need new software or am I up against a hard limit? Thanks for all the help so far.
Steve

[QUOTE=srlevine;2501198]Great Guide. I am trying to put .m2ts files from my camcorder on dvd-r disks as I only shoot 10-20 minutes at a time. I followed the instructions and the disks worked fine. I used Sony dvd-r 48x blanks. I played them on my sony S350 BD player. I used the clips that were given. The Planet Earth worked perfectly. Cars (m2ts) stutterd every few seconds. [B]Cars (ISO) worked almost perfectly.[/B] I noticed that Planet Earth was approx 17Mbps and Cars was around 25 Mbps. I don’t know the bps for CARS (ISO). Is there a fundemental limit the the bps the sony can read off the dvd? [B]How do you creae an ISO file[/B] - is this a better way to go? The video I shot in a canon at 24 Mbps also stuttered. Do I need new software or am I up against a hard limit? Thanks for all the help so far.
Steve[/QUOTE]

How can those 2 sentences fit together.
It is a contradiction in terms.
How did you create that CARS ISO?

Thank you for the quuick reply. I used the Cars.iso file provided at the beginning of this thread - I was asking how do you crreate an .iso file if all you have to start is an .m2ts file. I noticed that the 37 sec cars.iso file played almost perfectly. I burned the cars .m2ts file and the cars.iso file using imgburn. Could the sony dvd-r media be inferior? Thanks, Steve

What mediacode/ATIP does that discs have and what burner did you use?

I don’t know how to get the DVD mediacode - the disks are Sony dvd-r 48x. The burner is a PHILIPS DVD±RW DVD8801. The computer is a Dell workstation running XP.

The Media ID is ID: SONY16D1

I have tried many different brands of dvd-r disks at many different speeds. In every case, the stuttering starts at the same point. I am clearly missing something. Attached are two files giving all the statistics on the file I tried. It is the music video fromo Quantum of Solace. Any idea what I need to do?

Steve

QOS.txt (3.95 KB)

[QUOTE=srlevine;2501393]I have tried many different brands of dvd-r disks at many different speeds. In every case, the stuttering starts at the same point. I am clearly missing something. Attached are two files giving all the statistics on the file I tried. It is the music video fromo Quantum of Solace. Any idea what I need to do?

Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve,

Here is your problem:

Your video bitrate (from the Cars Blu-Ray) is simply too high for conventional red-laser DVD+/-R to handle. The Blu-Ray Association limits the maximum supported HD video bitrate on red-laser DVD to 18 Mbps.

Thank you VERY much - I was beginning to suspect something like that. Could you suggest how I could limit the bit rate to 18Mbps given I will be starting with an .m2ts file.

Steve

P.S. Could you use some coasters???

[QUOTE=srlevine;2501409]Thank you VERY much - I was beginning to suspect something like that. Could you suggest how I could limit the bit rate to 18Mbps given I will be starting with an .m2ts file.

Steve[/QUOTE]

You will have to recompress the video. The quality varies by encoder.

And Blu-Ray .m2ts files are MPEG-2 transport streams which may contain MPEG-2, VC-1 or AVC encoded video. You will have to determine the video type if you want to get the best downconverted quality.

Barring that, you might have to ask the others as to which encoder/transcoder they use for this purpose.

Your wrote

I used Sony [B]dvd-r 48x[/B] blanks.
and I thought you mean CD-R…
Good its solved.

Thannk you all for your help - problem solved!!!

Steve