Playback Speed Problem, or Something Else?

I’m running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 on a 32-bit Athlon and an A7N8XE mobo. My sound software is ALSA and the sound card ID follows:
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Audio Processing Unit (rev a2)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)

Can anyone help me with the following Internet Archive audio show: Brahms - Tragic Overture in D Minor, Op. 81

The original FLAC file has a sample rate of 48 KHz, which file I will temporarily keep in the show till I resolve the problem: the playback speed is too fast.

As you can see, the solution I have applied is to resample the performance at 44.1 KHz.

First of all, is my diagnosis of too-fast playback correct, or is there something wrong with my hardware and/or software?

Secondly, if resampling is not the solution, what is?

This is beginning to have that “you’re on your own” feel…

I don’t think that a sampling frequency of 48khz is the problem. I have had files in the past that if the bit depth was too high (i.e. above 24 bits) and you tried to play them back on hardware that is not capable of resolving more than 24 bits, the playback speed was sped up dramatically. I’ll check the file that you mention in your post to see if this is indeed the case. If so the fix is easy, you just have to bit-reduce the file to 24 bits and you can leave the sampling rate at 48khz. If the bit depth is fine at 24 bits, I would check to see if your hardware is capable of 24 bit playback as not all hardware is. The speed problem would occur if you tried to play back a 24 bit file on hardware only capable of 16 resolution. Hope this helps.

P.S. I donwloaded the file you mentioned in your post. It is 48khz/16bit. I played it back without problem in foobar2000 on Vista. Quite a nice piece by the way. I’m not familiar with your playback software but I did check and VideoLAN does work in Unix and does play FLAC files. I would try that to see if that works.