Playback Problems

I am in the process of backing up my DVDs and have successfully burned on 3 different formats. (DVD+RW, DVD+R Printable & DVD+R DL). All 3 will play in my portable DVD player, my regular TV DVD player but the only one that works in my truck’s DVD player is the DVD+R DL. Below is what software I used:

DVD+RW - DVD Shrink to ISO then ISO to disk using DVD Decrypter

DVD+R - DVD Shrink to ISO then ISO to disk using DVD Decrypter (One time I had to use DVD Fab Decrypter using the full disk option to hard drive then DVD Shrink to ISO then ISO to disk using DVD Decrypter)

DVD+R DL - DVD Fab Decrypter to hard drive in full disk mode then full disk to DVD+R DL using DVD Fab Decrypter (this worked one time, Memorex disks, but the one that worked plays in the truck DVD player)

Could the problem be that the player in the truck is just too old? It is 2004 Yukon XL. My husband was wonder if a DVD-R may work. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

~Jennifer

In case of DL media only use Verbatim DL.

Compatibility can very and yes that might work. In general, dvd+r that has been bitset is the most compatible, so you may want to check and see if your burner can and or is bitsetting. dvd-r is the next most compatible and dvd+r (not bitset) is the least compatible. Bit setting basically just makes the disk lie and say that it is a dvd rom to the player, even though it is a dvd+r. It makes players more likely to even try and read the disk rather than just considering it an incompatible disk. Some pickier players might also not like certain brands of media, so sometimes it is just a matter of finding a brand and format of disk that the player likes.

Use quality media, and as ripit said, Booktyping ( Bitsetting ) + media to DvD-Rom will usually slove the compatibility issue.

:cool: :cool:

Can anyone suggest a good/compatiple DVD burner. I currently have 4 burners and I cannot change the booktype on any of them. I currently have a Sony DVD+RW DW-D56A in a Dell laptop, a HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N, a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112 (the box says it is a X122 DL) and a Plextor DVDR PX-750A. The Pioneer is new so it can be returned if needed.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer you sound like a genuine CD Freak with all those burners, so welcome on board! :flower:

Someone will be along soon to suggest how you may bitset +Rs to DVD-ROM with at least one of those burners; possibly with flashing to some other firmware.

Regardless of the success with the +R DL discs, no-one has yet suggested trying DVD -Rs, which can be more compatible with older DVD players.

Thank you! I was successful burning a DVD-R I was just hoping to find another way around since I have quite a few DVD+RWs.

~Jennifer

OK great - there are many members more expert than me with these drive firmwares, and of course +RWs can be bitset too…

*** UPDATE ***

I got it to work!!! On the Plextor of all things. I used DVD Decrypter to change the booktype. I now have a disk that will play in my portable, my setup and my truck. Thanks to everyone and their suggestions. I’m so glad I didn’t give up and just go buy DVD-Rs.

~Jennifer

Excellent! Glad you got it sorted out. :flower:

Good to hear that you figured it out. I was going to tell that you that I knew the Plextor,Pioneer and the LG for sure would allow you to change the booktype. I was going to suggest to you that you use Imgburn, It’s an updated burn engine of DvD Decrypter’s.

I just tried ImgBurn with my Pioneer and it did not let me change the booktype. Everything failed for the DVD+R Media. Is there a trick I am missing? It is a Pioneer X122 external drive. I would like to get the Pioneer working so I am not tied to one machine. Thanks!

~Jennifer

What is it really, is that an external version of an 112 burner?? :confused:

Pioneer DVR-X122?

Link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310070061_426554187,00.html

[U]FEATURES[/U]

Interface: USB 2.0

[B]Write Speed (*:CAV, **CLV)[/B]

DVD-R 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X**, 12X**, 16X*, 18X*

DVD-R (DL) 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X**, 10X**

DVD-RW 1X, 2X, 4X, 6X

DVD+R 2.4X, 4X, 6X, 8X**, 12X**, 16X*, 18X*

DVD+R (DL) 2.4X, 4X, 6X, 8X**, 10X**

DVD+RW 2.4X, 3.3X, 4X, 6X, 8X**

DVD-RAM 2X, 3X, 5X, 6X, 8X, 12X

CD-R 4X, 10X, 16X, 24X**, 32X**, 40X*

CD-RW 4X, 10X, 16X, 20X**, 24X**, 32X**

[B]Maximum Read Speed[/B]

DVD-ROM (single) 16X

DVD-ROM (DL) 12X

DVD-R, DVD+R 12X

DVD-R (DL) 8X

DVD-RW, DVD+RW 8X

DVD+R (DL) 8X

CD-ROM, CD-R 40X

CD-RW 32X

DVD-RAM 12X

[B]Disc Format (Read/Write)[/B]

DVD single layer/dual layer / 120mm / 80mm disc

DVD-R (when writing, use only 650nm – for General use – media)

DVD-R (4X, 8X, 16X, 18X write speed)

Dual Layer DVD-R and Double Layer DVD+R

DVD-RW (1X, 2X, 4X, 6X write speed)

DVD+R (2.4X, 4X, 8X, 16X, 18X write speed)

DVD+RW (2.4X, 4X, 8X write speed)

DVD-RAM (non-cartridge, Version 2.0, Version 2.1)

CD-ROM Mode 1

CD-R XA Mode 2 (form 1, form 2)

Photo CD (single and multiple sessions)

CD-DA

CD-Extra (CD PLUS)

Video-CD

CD Text

CD-R

CD-RW / High Speed CD-RW / Ultra Speed CD-RW

I was under the impression that this drive should automatically booktype the + media to DvD-Rom. Earlier Pioneer burners did not officially have any BitSetting/BookType capabilities prior to the PIONEER 111L without using Unofficial/Hacked DVD Burner firmwares

This drive uses a Nec chipset, you might get away with using the Nec profile in Imgburn.

Try using DvD+RW and see if it will booktype to DvD-Rom

Or try using Nero CD/DVD speed and the booktyping option ( Bitsetting) can be found under the extra.

Nero CD/DVD speed: http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Remember that you are using a RW so you can erase it if it does not work.

Aha, thanks.

If this drive has 1.xx firmware, it [I]automatically[/I] bitsets all DVD+R DL media to DVD-ROM, [B]not changeable[/B].
With 8.xx firmware it will [B]also[/B] do this for DVD+R media too. Not for DVD+RW media, which would create more trouble anyway.

How do I go about checking and/or changing the firmware of the drive?

~Jennifer

You can use Nero InfoTool and it will tell you what your firmware is as well as some other info.

Nero InfoTool found here: http://www.nero.com/nero7/enu/Info_Tool.html