Playback problems start about 20 min into Feature

Hey fellas

Recently my burns are NOT working very well during playback, either locking up or very choppy.

I use DVD shrink to rip em and NERO 6 ultra to burn em
I have bought some new media, FUJIFILM DVD-R 8x and I have burned a few sucessfully, but now this problem is consistently cropping up!

Ive tried re-burning at 2x ( i was at 8x…bad i know but it was working just fine) and still the same thing. Either total lock up/screen freeze about 5 chapters in ( LOST IN TRANSLATION ) or when I re-burned at 2x it was very choppy/pixalated and such.

So im sure im leaving out a TON of info for you, but if anyone has any suggestions or wants more background info Id really appreciate your help!

Thanks, Tamon

Hey fellas

Recently my burns are NOT working very well during playback, either locking up or very choppy.

I use DVD shrink to rip em and NERO 6 ultra to burn em
I have bought some new media, FUJIFILM DVD-R 8x and I have burned a few sucessfully, but now this problem is consistently cropping up!

Ive tried re-burning at 2x ( i was at 8x…bad i know but it was working just fine) and still the same thing. Either total lock up/screen freeze about 5 chapters in ( LOST IN TRANSLATION ) or when I re-burned at 2x it was very choppy/pixalated and such.

So im sure im leaving out a TON of info for you, but if anyone has any suggestions or wants more background info Id really appreciate your help!

Thanks, Tamon

Boy it sure sounds like bad media!

Check another media!

I agree with etp but when is the last time you defragged your hard drive?

Nero cd/dvd speed can identify the media code of those coasters you are burning, Id be interested in seeing that info. :slight_smile:

Ok, here is the info from Nero CD/DVD Speed, hope its what you want…

*following is Cut/paste from the Disc Info Tab

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : unknown
MID : ProdiscF01
Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4488 MB
: 4706076672 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 88 0D 0C 88 88 90 00 - .@…R…
0010 - 03 50 72 6F 64 69 73 00 04 63 46 30 31 00 00 00 - .Prodis…cF01…
0020 - 05 B8 83 00 30 00 01 00 58 FB 61 00 04 D5 05 00 - …0…X.a…
0030 - 02 24 F8 77 40 55 F7 77 FF FF FF FF 54 12 F5 77 - .$.w@U.w…T…w
0040 - EE 17 DD 77 2B 18 DD 77 98 E7 01 13 02 00 00 80 - …w+…w…
0050 - 1C 00 00 00 0B 00 00 00 58 00 00 00 1C 00 00 00 - …X…
0060 - 3C D5 05 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 15 00 - <…@…

*Error initializing Test

When i try to run Disc Quality Test i get an error

When i did the ScanDisc all the small boxes came up RED=bad,

sooooooooooooo my DVD’s are junk?
if so I have 95 “High Tech” coasters for sale on Ebay.ca! watch for them!
Say you read it here on CDFREAKS and ill give you the special buy one get one free!

but seriously, does this info help you diagnose my problem?

Thanks for your time.
Tamon

p.s. i defrag fairly regularly, ladt time is about 10 days ago.

Maybe. These are ProdiscF01 and I don’t think all burners firmwares support this media very well. This plus it’s rather variable in quality.

BTW you don’t mention your burner brand/model/firmware?

FranckSoy is correct, please tell us a little more about your hardware. Prodisc doesn’t have a very good reputation with my hardware. I get better burns on +r cmc crap media (granted I know in 6 months they will be coasters as well). If possible, try to find a deal on TY’s, often branded as fuji or others, a trick is to look at the upc code and see if they are made in japan,not china or india, you usally get decent media that way.

You can read up here…

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

and see what the general opinion on blank media is best…:slight_smile:

Hope this helps…:slight_smile:

[Off-topic]I think you could be nicely surprised. :slight_smile: Recent CMC discs have become far more reliable than they once were, and do extremely well in accelerated aging tests (actually as well as MCC and Ricoh! :eek: ). Cheers Zag’[/Off-topic]

2x is a little too slow, how about 4x? My old Plextor could only turn out an acceptable result on Fujifilm ProdiscF01 media at that speed.

Cheers Francksoy…:slight_smile:

Off and on topic, to be honest to the OP and francksoy, to be honest, is find the media your set top player likes…:slight_smile:

When I dipped my to in this pond, TY and Ritek were said to be the cats ass -r dvd’s. After some frustration, alot of coasters or near coasters for that unit…I found my samsung really really

1. prefered +r, even though all the reviews said -r should work better.
  2. “optodisc and cmc” gave better playback than Ritek and some TY’s.
  3. a year later many were saying…'what the hell were we thinking…these new Riteks are crap!! lol

Goofs aside, learn what your really buying past the brand name label as far as your blanks go, and experiment as much as you can till you find what works…:slight_smile:

Quality media does make a difference, but only if your set top player likes it burned with the hardware/software you have.

Hope this helps, probably clear as mud…:slight_smile:

perhaps we should merge these 2 threads started identical by the same poster by an accident or the double click or cut in paste???

:slight_smile:

Prodisk doesn’t have the best rep for good media so I’m guessing that would be high on the list of suspect causes. I would run a cdspeed disk quality test (if your drive is capable/compatible, what kind of drive is it) to see if the disks are getting along with your burner/firmware.
Settop compatibility is defanatlly another issue that can be a cause. Some players (including some of the cheap ones) will play almost anything you throw at them while some others can be pretty picky with burned media. Older players tend to have more problems and believe it or not, some of the more expensive newer players seem to be a little more picky than some of the cheap ones (not in all cases of course). you can look up and see what others experiences are with your particular dvd player (what medias worked well) here.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers
Just search for your player and there should be a list of media that people have tried with it (weather your media is on the list just depends on if anyone has tried that media with that player and reported it).

I have had outstanding results with CMC lately! Very strange to say the least! Only the Staples +R brand to be exact! What can I say! You are only as good as your last cake you baked! LOL
8X should be good to go for any media and all newer drives with current FW! If you have to burn at 4X something is very wrong!

Ok here are my specs, how foolish to post a problem without them!
Thanks again
Tamon

@ Tamon,

You’ve got decent specs there. Have you tried a 5 pack or another media?

Zig Zag

You mean a 5 pack of another brand of DVD?

If so no not yet, Im thinking it must be the DVD’s but does that mean the ones I bought are notorious for bad burns?

It must be somthing in my hardware or settings, but Id gladly just buy different media to fix the issue (hard drive is filling up with ripped DVD’s)

I need to learn more about the diff types of media, ill post back with my NEW BRAND
Thanks

They are known to be lower quality and cause many people problems. I’m not sure where you are but if in the US, try and see if bestbuy has any verbatims in stock (on sale for 15$ for 50). You are pretty safe with verbatims as they are very good quality and easy to find (and often advertised for good prices though watch out cause they can really be expensive at the retail stores at full price).

Are you trying to back up an encrypted DVD?