Playback of The Abyss hangs (DVD to DVD)

I have a problem with the Theatrical Version of The Abyss R1 on the 2 disc Special edition.
When using DVD to DVD, just selecting the movie title (I’ve been using the customize option), the resulting movie will hang during playback. The playback will hang in chapter 40. Playing in WMP, the time stops at 2:07:39, but it will continue playback for a few seconds before hanging. It hangs at the same position when playing in VLC Player.

I guess this problem can be related to seamless branching applied on this DVD?

I’ve tested the following with the same result:

• Disable Pathplayer
  • Disable removal of layer break
  • Disable all protection removal
  • Full disc copy

Using DVD Shrink to copy the disc to HDD does not create this problem, but I really like the extra options in DVDFab.

That strange I didn’t have this problem on the 2 disc Special edition
Full Disc mode
PathPlayer [B]–>[/B] Always enabled
Remove Layer Break [B]–>[/B] Checked
Read [B]–>[/B] Ignore all read errors
Media used [B]–>[/B] Verbatim D/L (MID) MKM-001
Write Speed [B]–>[/B] 4x
Burn Engine [B]–>[/B] ImgBurn
Layer Break selected in ImgBurn [B]–>[/B] 2nd in the list given
NO problems during playback :bigsmile:

Strange. It’s reproduced every time here. It’s the playback that’s the problem (no error during copy), and it looks like only a small portion of the movie is “corrupted”. The special edition version seems to work fine, but not the theatrical version. I’m using the latest version of DVDFab Platinum, and am only coping the disc to HDD (not burning to DVD), as I run the backup movie through a TVIX 6500 box from my media server.

Any more info I can support? DVDFab reports “Invalid CELLs protection is removed!”
I don’t know much about this, but was this something that was used back in 2000 (the time I got this disc)?

I’m not sure all I know is I had no trouble with my backup during playback, if you have nero installed try doing a scan of the orignal DVD to see if there may be something wrong with it… use the utility on the Scan Disc tab

Tried that (using Nero CD-DVD speed), but it showed 99.9% bad disk. Not sure this tool works on a protected disc?

Anyway, I’m pretty sure this is a problem in DVDFab. Taking the output from DVD Shrink (playback OK, and located on my HDD) and use this as input for DVDFab produces the same problem. StormJumper, did you use the oldest version of DVDFab, or was this done earlier? Changes in software might fix something but break something else…

For me, the problem with this disc in no loss, but from experience (I’m a software developer), no “software bugs” are isolated to one case.

A practical question:
Is posting on this forum the correct way to report bugs? Always good to get them logged, and let the developer(s) decide the priority.

[quote=nonstops;2213373]Tried that (using Nero CD-DVD speed), but it showed 99.9% bad disk. Not sure this tool works on a protected disc?

Anyway, I’m pretty sure this is a problem in DVDFab. Taking the output from DVD Shrink (playback OK, and located on my HDD) and use this as input for DVDFab produces the same problem. StormJumper, did you use the oldest version of DVDFab, or was this done earlier? Changes in software might fix something but break something else…

For me, the problem with this disc in no loss, but from experience (I’m a software developer), no “software bugs” are isolated to one case.

A practical question:
Is posting on this forum the correct way to report bugs? Always good to get them logged, and let the developer(s) decide the priority.[/quote]
Well I did the backup back when “The Abss” first came out so naturally it was an older version that was used and not sure but believe it was before PathPlayer was added to the program, however I normally have it “Disabled” unless I’m having an issue during the analyzing process of the DVD structure.
I have a very large archive of DVDFab going back to ver 2.9 :bigsmile:
anyway if I can pin point the last version that was released before PathPlayer was added->(late v4) I can send it to you so you can do a quick test course that would be up to you and also don’t want you to post your email in the forum leads to un-wanted spam :eek:

PathPlayer was introduced in v3.2.0.0. PathPlayer and the disc structure cleaning engine have been updated many times since.
Bugs are generally posted in the release notes thread for the version of DVDFab you are using, but sometimes users start their own threads as well. What you have is probably not so much a bug as a problem disc. The best thing to do with those is to put PathPlayer in the Always Enable mode, let DVDFab analyze the disc, then open Common Settings and click on the Send IFO files button at the top of the Info page. No email client is required. Fill in the requested information and, in the box at the bottom, describe the problem briefly or just put a link to this thread. I remember making a backup of this too but I can’t find the original or the backup. Should have made two I guess.

[quote=signals;2213553]PathPlayer [B]was introduced in v3.2.0.0[/B]. PathPlayer and the disc cleaning engine have been updated many times since.
Bugs are generally posted in the release notes thread for the version of DVDFab you are using, but sometimes users start their own threads as well. [B]What you have is probably not so much a bug as a problem disc[/B]. The best thing to do with those is to put PathPlayer in the Always Enable mode, let DVDFab analyze the disc, then open Common Settings and click on the Send IFO files button at the top of the Info page. No email client is required. Fill in the requested information and, in the box at the bottom, describe the problem briefly or just put a link to this thread. I remember making a backup of this too but I can’t find the original or the backup. Should have made two I guess.[/quote]
:eek: that far back :doh:
that could be why I did not have this issue :iagree:
thanks for the input :flower:

I was surprised myself it was so long ago.

I have a copy of all the change logs of v5 but not before 5000