Platinum v3.0.3.5 and DL Issue

Hi,

I apologize in advance for how “wordy” this is going to be, but it won’t mean anything without the whole “story.” I did a Split without issue this evening of MI3 (R1) (Disc 1 of the Collector’s Edition) with Platinum v3.0.3.5 installed, and then I wanted to make a DL copy, so I put a DL +R Disc in the Burner when the Split completed.

The Burner wouldn’t Mount the DL Disc, so I put another one in, then another, and so on (I have a boat load of them, and they can’t all be bad!). Yes, they are Verbatim (MKM 001 000 (00)), so, I Exited out of DVDFab and on the next close of the Drive Door, the Burner Mounted the DL Disc.

Interesting, so I re-started DVDFab, it Analyzed the Disc and Defaulted to “Full Disc.” I Clicked on Clone and then Start, and all was well until Task 1 reached 100% completed, and then “Task_1 Failed! Error=102.” That’s a Read Error, so, I’m poking around like maybe that ISO’s good and I noticed that no .ini file was written to the Directory with the Layer Break information.

Shorting the Steps, I opened UltraISO which was able to Read and Burn the ISO to the DL Disc without issue. I ran a CRC32 Check against both the ISO File and the DL Disc below:

D:>crc D:\MI3_DOMESTIC_D1_WS.iso
CRC Verification Utility, Version 3.05
Copyright © Microsoft, 1992-1997

99% complete
ERROR: Failed reading file D:\MI3_DOMESTIC_D1_WS.iso at offset 0xF8570000

(24) The program issued a command but the command length is incorrect.

D:>crc f:
CRC Verification Utility, Version 3.05
Copyright © Microsoft, 1992-1997

100% complete

CRC of media in F: (-128477184 bytes) is 0x38B84075

OK…So now I no longer know if I “really” have a good Disc or not, so this “job” gets pushed to the back of the line, so to speak…For when I have more time.

After Burning a couple more DVD-R Discs, I pop another DL Disc into the Burner, and, again it will not mount. Instead of Exiting DVDFab, this time I Click on “Full Disc” and Select DVD9, Open and Close the Drive Door…And the DL Disc Mounts! Then, I Click on Clone and then Start, and a flawless Copy and Burn follows.

So, the two problems I had are:

  1. If you Burn DVD-R Discs, DVDFab Platinum v3.0.3.5 “blocks” the Mounting of DL Discs in the Burner, and

  2. Clone Mode didn’t recognize that a DL Disc was Mounted in the first run through…And barfed, even though the ISO File was actually burnable!

Though to date, I haven’t done a lot of DL burning, I haven’t experienced either of these problems, or, any DL problems with any previous version of DVDFab.

I did CRC32 Checks below on the second ISO File and Burn, and they illustrate two things I would have said could not happen…Except that I did it!:

D:>crc D:\MI3_DOMESTIC_D1_WS.iso
CRC Verification Utility, Version 3.05
Copyright © Microsoft, 1992-1997

100% complete

CRC of file D:\MI3_DOMESTIC_D1_WS.iso (-128475136 bytes) is 0xB7EEB6D5

D:>crc f:
CRC Verification Utility, Version 3.05
Copyright © Microsoft, 1992-1997

100% complete

CRC of media in F: (-128477184 bytes) is 0x38B84075

Those two things are that the CRC’s of both Burned Discs are the same even though the Layer Break is in a slightly different spot and one of the ISO’s through a CRC Check error, and, the CRC Check of the “good” ISO is different from the Burned Disc!

Well, any way, I suppose that I could have condensed this to the “Statement” of the Problem, but I was afraid that it wouldn’t get looked at…That is, if anyone is still awake! And, it wouldn’t have been as much fun!

Thanks…