PLATINUM CD-R's

vbimport

I found this spindle at a local shop, now it looks as Ritek (the transparent top has a broad elevated outer ring, looks just like the one on my TDK Ritek spindle, it’s different from the picture), it has a foam cushion (just like my TDK Ritek’s), it has all the small circles underneath just like my TDK’s.
They are 48x rated. In the bottom there’s a recycle-mark and it says “R21”. My TDK say “R14”.

Only difference is the fact that the bottom is grey and it’s half the price of TDK :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyone have any experience of these?

Note that these are not “MR Platinum”, they are only branded “PLATINUM”.

PS. I did use the search but the results I got was a little outdated :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Airhead

Anyone have any experience of these?

Note that these are not “MR Platinum”, they are only branded “PLATINUM”.

PS. I did use the search but the results I got was a little outdated :slight_smile:
Bad search. This is a good one :

[COLOR=purple]graph

Platinum and further…

Airhead, get Platinum instead !

Som man säger här i Sverige, du är ute o cyklar :bigsmile:

Platinum is one of the Bestmedia’s trademarks, mate.[/COLOR] :wink:

Platinum is known for switching manufacturers a lot, they are also known to be very unreliable. They come at a good price and if you’re lucky you get good ones, but chances are high you get bad ones. (at least this is the current market situation of Platinum in the Netherlands). Before we also got a lot of good quality discs over here and the more they got known the worse the discs became. (Sometimes even different manufacturers in one spindle)

I have a spindle of those platinums in front of me right now
but the recycle mark says R24

they are rated 48x
This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 15s 17f
Norminal Capacity = 702.82MB (79m 59s 70f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = RiTEK,TG
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 32X

(32x is because of my drive)

Tack så mycket BoSkin! :slight_smile:
They look exactly like this!

I will go buy these now as they are only 179 SEK (for international users, that’s DIRT CHEAP!!!) :slight_smile:

i think i paid 15 euro for 50 pieces…

That’s even cheaper but I think we have higher taxes here (Tax will know that) :slight_smile:

i think i was lucky…because it was on a computer fair…
they all had platinum to sell…at the end of the day they were very cheap

Platinum usually sells

• the worst Ritek batches they can find on earth
  • digital storage technology

I don’t know where the name “Mr Platinum” comes from; Platinum has sold their crap for 5 or more years now here, always as “platinum”, never as “mr. platinum”, and they always used the cheapest and worst discs they could find (some years ago, that was Auvistar and PostTech, non of which are readable any longer)

Considering that they are sold at 15 Euro per 50 here as well, and that TDK-Ritek are 17 Euro / 50, and Verbatim DLP / Taiyo Yuden discs 22 Euro / 50, the Platinums are 10x more expensive than what they are worth

Originally posted by DoMiN8ToR

Platinum is known for switching manufacturers a lot, they are also known to be very unreliable.

Sometimes even different manufacturers in one spindle

The Platinum media that is currently being sold in Sweden has come from one source,
which means that all the CDRs are made by Ritek.

They look exactly like this!

I will go buy these now as they are only 179 SEK :slight_smile:
Boy, I know exactly how they look like :cool:

Hey, are you still there ? Guess not…gone by the wind… :bigsmile:

Originally posted by alexnoe

Platinum usually sells

• the worst Ritek batches they can find on earth
  • digital storage technology
  • Well, they are the best Riteks I’ve ever seen, very close to TY > don’t look too far, just see my recent graphs.

• This what made me start looking for them :

I actually refered to the graph after some months, or after some hours of sun…yes, some of the Platinums can indeed be burned.

Plasmon is selling their stampers if they don’t like them anymore, so a manufacturer ID “Plasmon” doesn’t tell you much.

…or after some hours of sun…

Plasmon is selling their stampers if they don’t like them anymore, so a manufacturer ID “Plasmon” doesn’t tell you much.
I have special sunglasses for those, just in case… Don’t make me die laughing.

Plasmon/Ciba has developed and produced a highly technological dye - " Ultra Green ". That’s what I meant .

I’m :confused:, what are you trying to prove here ? I’ve heard all this before .

You can’t have heard all of this before, otherwise you would not have highlighted Plasmon as the manufacturer of some platinums. There is no reason to believe that they are made by plasmon. They might be. Might.

If you wanna die laughing, you’re welcome to…

I can’t remember having tried to prove anything, btw

There is no reason to believe that they are made by plasmon.
I didn’t say I had a reason for that.

As for Plasmon & CIBA, I prefer to rely on a much more reliable and professional source, like e.g. > AudioDev

We are professionals in quality control

If you go into a record store and buy your favourite music on CD or a good film on DVD, you expect both of them to play perfectly in your CD or DVD player at home. This is why AudioDev exists. We are a world-leading supplier of test equipment for optical media such as CD and DVD. This means that we are professionals in quality control. Our head office is situated in Malmö, Sweden, and we have subsidiaries in Los Angeles and Hong Kong as well as a service and support network of agents worldwide.

Since the start in 1987, AudioDev has successfully built up a complete range of products for the optical media market. The products test the quality of both discs and drives (the unit that reads the disc). Our product portfolio carries the brand name CATS and Go!.
The CATS-products have become the de facto industry standard for testing each format on the market. This has been achieved by ensuring very high measurement accuracy and quality. Go! is_a new brand, dedicated to process control. We also offer customized training sessions as well as independent test analyses through AudioDev’s Test Centers, which can be found in Europe, Asia and USA.

AudioDev’s clients are primarily manufacturers of optical media, but also include manufacturers of production equipment and optical drive units. Our client list includes Technicolor, Ritek Global Media, Microsoft, EMI, Samsung, Warner, Sonopress, Pioneer, Cinram, Panasonic, MBI, DAI Nippon Printing and CMC.

Where does Platinum buy also??
The ones I bought in Holland were also all Ritek

Not as low as the TDK’s…

But this one’s better…

Not as low as the TDK’s…
Not as good as mine either :bigsmile: And the reasons could be many.

Airhead, why save and afterwards display the lower chart if there are no C2 errors occured ?

Comparing the prices Platinum cd-r’s and dvd+r’s cost with quality brands imho it’s well worth the risk getting a few coasters.

It’s not that i’m writing secret pentagon medical data on them that has to be safe for 250 years anyway :slight_smile:

Originally posted by BoSkin
Airhead, why save and afterwards display the lower chart if there are no C2 errors occured ?

Scientific precision :wink:
The first scan was from a disc on top of the spindle that had a little “gunk” on it, second one from “clean” disc.

Question: Did you burn those using 6S0F?

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
It’s not that i’m writing secret pentagon medical data on them that has to be safe for 250 years anyway :slight_smile:

But admit it feels better when they will :bigsmile: