Platinum and XBOX Native resolution

Hi guys, I’ve just bought the Platinum version because I have an old archive of my DVDs I want to stream via MCE to my Xbox 360 as an extender.

Well…I’ve got a 3 step solution which takes ages and saw this product thought yes! One step…but then to my horror after buying when I try and create an XBOX single file WMV it only gives me some wierd set of resolutions? I basically want the standard I don’t want any compression so I’ve whacked the quality up to max.

But I Don’t want to mess with the resolution! I want 720x576 which is the PAL standard…can anyone help here?

Regards,
T

[QUOTE=Ballistix999;1964855]But I Don’t want to mess with the resolution! I want 720x576 which is the PAL standard…can anyone help here?

Regards,
T[/QUOTE]

352x288 is also “PAL standard”, even for DVD. So what??

www.videohelp.com/dvd

DVD PAL

Video:
Up to 9.8 Mbps* (9800 kbps*) MPEG2 video
Up to 1.856 Mbps (1856 kbps) MPEG1 video
720 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Full-D1)
704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Called Half-D1, same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
25 fps*
16:9 Anamorphic (only supported by 720x576)

The “So What?” is that I don’t want to compromise the resolution? Is there a reason that this isn’t available? Pretty much useless to me unless I can make this work. I’ve just done a VOB passthrough and I’m copying that single file to my MCE machine but my guess is that the 360 will spew when I try and play it…

T

Ballistix
I don’t have a 360:( or use MCE:) but it seems from looking at the 360 profile that it is set up for 480p (NTSC DVD) output. Here is an experimental profile for the 360 set up for PAL. I have no idea how your 360 will react to this. The output plays fine in WMP for me, but the conversion for some reason is very slow. To try this, download the attached .txt file and change the file suffix to .xml. Copy into the DVDFab Profiles folder. You will have to install this as a new “device” using CustomizeUI->DVD to Mobile->New; select it (“Xbox360_PAL”) from the new device drop down and click “OK”, then highlight it in the left window and use the >> button to move it to the right. When you re-start DVDFab it will appear as “Xbox360_PAL” with the other choices under DVD to Mobile. Hope this works, but no warranties!:slight_smile: Please post results so others will know whether to try it.

xbox360.wmv.wma.PAL.txt (794 Bytes)

Hi thanks for this. I appear to be having multiple problems with this software, it LOOKS like just what I am looking for. I’ve put your profile in, thanks for that! But now I get through 2 mins of backing up one of my DVDs and it just reboots the PC. I’ve got 3 different optical drives and all of them are rebooting at exactly the same point when it gets to copying the data across.

I’m going to give up. I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with the fact that there are deliberate errors on the DVD and it’s crashing DVDFab. Not sure where to go next :frowning: It looked like it was just what I wanted but it’s now crashing my PC. Any ideas? I want to explore everything before I ask for a refund.

The profile was perfect in principal thought!! Cheers.

T

Does the rebooting happen when using the new profile only? Does it read the disc if you try a DVD to DVD backup?

Hi fellas, my bad, it was my CPU running a little too overclocked. I leave it like that for games but forgot that video compressing and video editing (Canopus also crashes!) I have to put my Q6600 back to stock values…trying it again now…so far so good.

Sorry for the rogue post! If I can get this to work I’ll be chuffed :slight_smile:

T

Hi Signals, it works, well on the PC it does so far. However, a big but, It’s compressed it from 3GB to 1GB and the compressions is nasty. That’s the problem with WMV I think.

Any other ideas?

How did you have the video bitrate set? Would need to be pretty high to draw all those pixels, even at 25fps. I set the one I tested for a “bits/pixel” reading of about 0.18, which I think was about 2000 kb/s. If you are going to run some more tests, use the “Advanced Title Settings” to convert only a chapter or two for faster results. I can’t really test it well with no PAL source material and no 360.:frowning: Glad it seems to work at least partially now with your CPU throttled back, LOL. Maybe Ting can tweak the profile for better performance. Hopefully he will see this thread in the next day or so; check back often.

Hi, I slide the bitrate all the way over to the right…about 5000 I think it is…but it still only created a wmv file 1/3 the size of the original VOB that I created…you can also see lots of compression so it’s definately lost quality…look forward to more advice! Thanks for the help so far.

T