Plasmon Data Systems?

Bought me 100 of these, quite cheaply of course. They’re rated at 24X on the package, but my burner only lets me burn them at 16X maximum. I don’t mind buring them at 16X, but does that mean they are crap and I shouldn’t use them for longterm backup?

ATIP: 97m 27s 19f
Disc Manufacturer: Plasmon Data Systems, Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Well, that may not be media problem. It may be caused by the writer you’re using to burn them. Still, i don’t think it’s good media.
Currently i use only mitsui or tayo yuden. kodak makes reliable media too.

For long term storage I would stay with one of these three brands…

Greetings

i have a 100 of these too. got them from ebay. burned a dozen so far, and most of them are 0 error discs, a few have less then a hundred ( 0,000009% rate). so i believe they are okay for general staff, bu we’ll see in the future, i am gonna keep checking them once a month to see if the c2 errors are increasing.

ATIP: 97m 27s 19f
Disc Manufacturer: Plasmon Data Systems, Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

for backup however, definitely not the right choise, after all the kodaks are gone, we only gonna have mitsui left… hope they dont give up on us.

What about Taiyo Yuden?

Originally posted by Bloody Aztec
What about Taiyo Yuden?

I’ve used sony’s taiyo yudens… for i guess…nearly 2 years now and I did some checking recently on all of my backup cds and didn’t find a problem in any of them. In fact, the only cd that had uncorrectable errors in it was a TDK.
Taiyo yuden cds are usually referred in most of the internet reviews as very good quality cds… so you shouldn’t have any problem with them.

Plasmon=crap i say.i bought 2 of them under the name of creation
and both after half year were unreadable at a point(different from the other) though the rest of the cdr was fine.

Taiyo Yuden is excellent.i have never seen a newely burnt cdr been read faster than a newely burnt TY disk.also they have lasted for more than 2,5 years for me.

Well, Creation 12x Media (by Plasmon) with Blue & Orange logo on CD coming in spindles of 100 - I sold 200 of these a few months ago(he he … gives you a clue… I’m a reseller) and I haven’t had a single complaint from anyone yet.

[QUOTE=cocobongo772002;321213]Well, Creation 12x Media (by Plasmon) with Blue & Orange logo on CD coming in spindles of 100 - I sold 200 of these a few months ago(he he … gives you a clue… I’m a reseller) and I haven’t had a single complaint from anyone yet.[/QUOTE]

IMHO people haven’t made complaints about these discs… Because you get what you pay for, pay less expect less! My excuse is my partner bought them for me & thought she was doing me a favour… NOT… 100cd’s 50 burnt the rest failed!
I have two computers with so far reliable drives, but these CD-R’s have been less than reliable… Totally bizarre behaviour… Half burnt fine the other half I’ve had to throw out - Oh well :rolleyes: such is life… I am quite annoyed as I have a lot of audio cd’s to back-up at the moment & little money to buy cd’s, & I feel bad about telling my girlfriend that she wasted her hard earned on rubbish, but I guess it has to be done - I’m gonna stick with the TDK’s that have thus far served me well. :smiley:

EDIT: I am silly, just notice how old this post is - but perhaps it’s still pertinant since Plasmon discs are still being made (maybe the quality has declined further)???

Good call chaps - I bought some Hyundai CD-R discs for 99p from - Guess Where - The 99p Shop :stuck_out_tongue: - in a 6-pack spindle, because I needed some discs to burn audio to give away to friends - They DO have some very interesting marks on the underside of the disc, which gave me my first impression it would be a BASF disc. (Do BASF make discs guys? :confused: )

Anyway, so I booted up IMGBurn, and it told me it was Plasmon Data Systems. I was quite surprised here; and that’s why I’m posting on this thread :rolleyes:

Anyway, the markings underside (I don’t have a camera handy :frowning: ) are as follows.

CD-R 80UG (***) JKDF

(Where the stars are means there is a symbol on the disc. This symbol is a sort of like a square with a circle etched into the middle of it, and the left side (where the rest of the square SHOULD be :stuck_out_tongue: ) is a sort of small arc, as though like a sound wave?)

I searched JKDF on Google, and I don’t think it’s any of these :stuck_out_tongue:

Do those markings look like these ones?:

Oh my goodness, those markings are very similar to my Hyundai discs! :eek:

My Hyundai discs have the same sound wave mark on the underside of the disc, along with the “CDR UG 80” that’s on the underside too, along with a number that is opposite to the “CDR UG 80” mark.

Infact, the only difference between the disc is the number that is printed on the transparent hub is missing, and rather looking as though the text has been printed onto the disc (for example, the sound wave marking with the letters) these have been etched onto the disc, and they are much harder to read.

However, where the numbers are missing on the hub on the disc, next to it is some more numbers [including brackets] (09112101).

I noticed that you pulled that image from your Rare and Obscure media thread. OH MIGHTY PEPST, have I bagged myself some rare and obscure media? :bow: :bigsmile:

(Side note; Hyundai seem to have no recollection of making these discs; I can’t find them anywhere. It seems like a classic case of plethora of discs that Hyundai have snapped up for next to nothing then sold on under their name :frowning: )

Although having said that, from the small handful of Plasmon discs I’ve actually used, including Poundland-apt Signelex, EMTEC, and now Hyundai, not one of them have gave me problems :slight_smile:

I noticed that you pulled that image from your Rare and Obscure media thread. OH MIGHTY PEPST, have I bagged myself some rare and obscure media? :bow: :bigsmile:

I don’t want to disappoint you, but these media are not too rare. :bigsmile:

(Side note; Hyundai seem to have no recollection of making these discs; I can’t find them anywhere. It seems like a classic case of plethora of discs that Hyundai have snapped up for next to nothing then sold on under their name :frowning: )

Hyundai branded media are made by Infosmart, Hong Kong. The “Hyundai” brand name is only licensed.

Darn it :frowning: Still, Plasmon media IMO is still pretty scarce now; all I can back are CMC, Ritek, MBI, Verbs and TY…

I don’t understand that last bit though - Are you saying Plasmon are simply using the Hyundai brand name to sell their media? :confused:

I sense something dodgy going on…

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2576941]Darn it :frowning: Still, Plasmon media IMO is still pretty scarce now; all I can back are CMC, Ritek, MBI, Verbs and TY…

I don’t understand that last bit though - Are you saying Plasmon are simply using the Hyundai brand name to sell their media? :confused:

I sense something dodgy going on…[/QUOTE]

Plasmon does not produce any media - they supply the stampers (and the matching manufacturing process technology) to at least 20 independent, small to media size Asian CD-R and DVDR manufacturers.
One of their customers is Infosmart, that produces media under the licensed “Hyundai” brand name.

Ahhh, now that makes more sense :iagree:

So basically, they don’t produce the technology themselves, rather give out their technology to whoever is interested?

In which case, why would companies like Hyundai get involved, granted the plethora of discs already? They can’t possibly expect to be a quality brand… I know it’s to make a little money, but still, why bother?