Plasma TVs available for great prices

I just posted the article Plasma TVs available for great prices.

If you’re in the market for a new flat-screen TV this summer, you should save yourself time and money by heading directly to the aisle with plasma TVs, according to a report published in the Wall Stre…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/16215-Plasma-TVs-available-for-great-prices.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/16215-Plasma-TVs-available-for-great-prices.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m quite pleased with my Olevia LCD TV, and don’t really plan on upgrading to a plasma any time soon.

So much nonsense in one article.
Does the writer actually understand what he is writing about?

Sometimes.

We get confused… sometimes quite often, but we’re only human. :wink:

Sorry but my Panny Plasma was under 1000.00 and has there was no other T.V. (other than the Pioneers ) that even came close with the PQ. The refresh rate the last time I looked was twice that of LCD’s. Sure there were LCD’s to be of great quality as the Panny but for double or triple the money when I purchased.

"LCD TVs offer better refresh rates, higher contrast ratios, and other features that manufacturers have been able to market towards consumers."
Oh, really?
I was of the understanding that refresh rates on Plasma were a fraction of a millisecond … LCD’s were in the low tween’s of milliseconds, which provides that wonderful ghosting effect on cheap sets.
Native Constrast ratios on plasmas are somewhere like 100,000:1 and LCD’s 2,000:1 … although with some serious number crunching (and lots of power consumption), LCD’s can get Dynamic Contrast ratios up to 20,000:1, with some manufacturers claiming upto 200,000:1 … which isn’t bad.
And that wishy-washy black on LCD’s.
If only the plasma gas didn’t lose it’s potency after 5 years, the whole world would bypass LCD and wait for OLED or Laser

I’d like to get a Pioneer Kuro plasma before theire gone next year… one of the best TVs out there.

But all the numbers are BS anyway. Its marketing…

The determining factor in a TV is the quality of the parts, specially the DSP and the panel. Not the number of pixels and the BS “contrast” ratios (sorry but that is one of the most misleading specs) .
Generally plasma technology has better color and black level reproduction and renders a more natural image, closer to CRT, but I’ll concede that LCD has come a long way…

Plasmas are far better for image

“LCD TVs offer better refresh rates, higher contrast ratios, and other features that manufacturers have been able to market towards consumers.”

Might want to review that statement because it is patently false.

Plasmas are not expensive anymore and haven’t been so for years. I bought my Samsung 50", PN50A650 series, for $1500. There were plenty of LCD’s in the store that were well over $2000. The picture on my TV is outstanding, better than all the LCD’s I have seen that were twice its price. The only draw back to plasma is burn-in. However, the plasma’s nowadays handle it better. If I see a little burn-in on mine, I just use the TV’s scrolling grey bars for a hour and it is gone, rarely have to do that though. If this is indeed true that Plasma’s are fading out, you better get one before they all do because the inferior LCD TV’s can’t compare, even the 120hz or higher models.

Even the over priced 240hz can’t compare to the 480hz Plasma’s :iagree:

Since when did Pioneer decide it was going to focus on LCD? I knew it was ceasing manufacturing of Plasma from early next year but didn’t hear anything about moving to LCD. Pioneer did say they were going to dedicate more time to their audio business. They pretty much perfected plasma with that last Kuro model anyway.

I bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma back in 2003 and it seems to work the same now as then. I don’t know what the deal is with others here, but I have never had any burn in or any problems with the display fading due to losss of the plasma gas. My set has built in protections such as screen crawl etc, and I have left the thing paused for up to an hour and never saw any burn in.

the thing that I like about plasma is everyone has a good seat. the viewing angle is superior to LCD by far, since each pixel is lit. the bad thing of course, is since every pixel is lit (not backlit) it does use morre power.

Finally, I am sad to see Panasonic drop out of plasma, because they are the only manufacturer I know of that can handle red correctly. all other plasmas are orange instead of red. Couple this with the Kuro’s ability to produce deep black- and wow - you are losing a major quality product.

I guess I better pony up for a 60" Kuro whilst there are still some around! trouble is, my nearly 7 year old set is working perfectly.

Most of my burn-in is from static TV station logo’s and from video games. You can only see the burn-in on like a grey background. I just use the TV’s built in anti-burn-in functions and it is gone in under a hour. I really wish they never went to those static station logo’s. I can’t stand those things. What ever happened to station ID commercials once in awhile?

I believe what you are talking about is “image retention” which as you know can be reversed by different methods, almost all plasmas will exhibit some degree of IR. “Burn-in” is a permanent condition where the pixel elements are damaged and used to be a problem, but nowadays you almost have to be trying to burn-in an image to get it to happen.

I have an ultra high-end Marantz 42" plasma. Its an older model (2004 at best) but still looks fantastic, better picture and color than most modern TVs today, which is to be expectd because its a Marantz professional display, not a TV technically.
It does however suffer burn-in horribly. Or “ghosting” is probably a better word because it can be “washed-out” but it takes forever now. I play alot of video games and have pretty much permanently burned-in certain ares of the screen where certain in-game items are always on. The clock in NHL '09, the ammo meters in COD4 etc…
I have heard that newer plasmas are better for this.

You may not notice the degradation over time but it probably is not as bright and vibrant as the day you 1st turned it on. It may still look amazing, but if you were to compare it to a brand new one side by side (same model) you may see that its not as bright, colorful or vibrant.

The funny thing is, the 1st thing you’re supposed to do when setting up a new plasma is to crank the brightess way down from the factory default setting. So if after 10 years its not as bright as it used to be, one could just crank up the brightness a bit, no ?

I believe you are correct. :slight_smile:

I want to use my Plasma to replace my PC monitor eventually. I just have to convince the wife, first. :confused: