Planned to ditch crappy CPU thermal pads and put on thermal paste but er... PC has no apparent heatsink... :/

vbimport

Brother’s laptop super-slow, whipped it open to put on some Shin Etsu X-23-7783D and I came across this:

(Click thumbs to enlarge)

So I take the pads off and have this left:

With no sign of a heatsing, the pads just stick to this:

So I’m wondering, if I put paste on instead, is it even going to make contact with the palm rest? Unlike a heatsink which screws down tight to CPUs/GPUs, it just clicks in place. I don’t think it has a fan either.

What should I do? :confused:

That’s weird. What brand and model number is the laptop?

I don’t think there’s much you can do.

After glancing around the Internet, I realized that the computer is a Dell Mini, what with the whole “no fan” thing.

Those thermal pads sandwiched between the chips and the keyboard are the only things helping with heat, given the low-power specs, and you can’t really do much but leave the thermal pads on there. Trying to replace them with thermal paste would result in wasted paste that might run (more than likely) and would leave you with a big mess to clean up, never mind the fact that contact with the aluminum wouldn’t be guaranteed; it might not be as effective as the thermal pads, given that the paste is just designed to fill any imperfections between a chip and a heatsink (and kinda acts as insulation otherwise), while the pad (sometimes with its own thermal grease “inside” of it) actually does transfer some heat.

But in any case, it’s not recommended to use thermal paste for such an application, as told by folks on the Internet who own the little netbooks.

@UDR: Doh! Silly me, it’s a Dell Inspiron 910.

@Albert: What about adding grease to the parts on the mobo and popping the pads on top? Also, I’ve gotten ‘bits’ from the work environment on the pads as I thought I’d be discarding them. Rather than ordering more on the net, can anyone think of a good way to clean them? I have some 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes but also am waiting for some 99% stuff to arrive in the post so should I wait for that? It’s just that I really want my brother to be able to have a properly working laptop again ASAP, like an itch that I can’t scratch until it’s fixed

I was going to suggest putting a thin coat of thermal grease on each side of the pad. It might allow for better thermal conductivity than the pad alone.

OK, great! Gotta see if I can clean theem up first…

All done, no better. :frowning:

Who designs any kind of computer without a fan or heatsink???

Well, the issue was that it was slow, not hot, right? It’s not guaranteed that the computer is being throttled due to thermal issues.

How much RAM does it have? What kind of secondary storage (hard drive or SSD) does it have? And isn’t the processor only an early-generation Intel Atom, with an equally-weak iGPU best related to the old Intel GMA 950 from 6+ years ago?

It runs hot soon after booting AND is slow. It’s an SSD HDD but in the BIOS reads as “STEC PATA 16GB- (PM)”.

To your questions, yes and yes. It was designed for XP though and is running XP so I would gave thought that logically it should run at a reasonable speed, but it is SO. SLOW.

How are you comparing speeds? Netbooks just were inherently slow compared to pretty much everything being released at the time.

How long does it take Windows to start up?
How long does it take normal applications to launch?
Are there a lot of apps running in the background?
Can you use it to watch any sort of videos, either local files or a website (YouTube, etc)? At what resolution/quality?
Does it run out of RAM?
How much free space remains on that well-aged PATA SSD?

Sorry for late reply, help much appreciated.

1)How long does it take Windows to start up?
[B]A few minutes, often alot of hanging.
[/B]
2)How long does it take normal applications to launch?
[B]Same case as above.
[/B]
3)Are there a lot of apps running in the background?
I[B] don’t know what’s normal and what’s alot, I can make a list if you want (my brother has it at the moment, I’ll get him to tell me).
[/B]
4)Can you use it to watch any sort of videos, either local files or a website (YouTube, etc)? At what resolution/quality?
[B]No, way too much lag. Resolution is 1024x800 I think - it has the option of only that and a lower resolution but changing it to the lower one doesn’t improve performance.[/B]

5)Does it run out of RAM?
[B]Loading up a new application often results in a full RAM spike to max (2GB, not upgradable any further), although I will check again with my bro and get him to drop it off at mine.[/B]

6)How much free space remains on that well-aged PATA SSD?
[B]I’ve made sure that there is enough space; they say you should have at least 15% free and that is definitely the case.[/B]

looks like my asus eepc, paste alone as previously mentioned will leave a gap, you can go online and buy better quality thermal pads or just stick to the original ones, my suggestion is a clean install, find a copy of XP SP3 or try a distro of linux, also my eepc had two ssd’s a 4GB fast motherboard built in SSD and a much slower mSATA 16GB removable drive, when i installed the OS on the 16GB Drive it was really slow as it had very poor read and writes

Ah new thermal pads! Could I get them on ebay? Are there better brands? If so, can I ask what’s best? The XP installation was with SP3 integrated - in fact I’ve seen (obviously non-official) SP4 ISOs floating around the net… Any more efficient at all or stick with SP3?

[QUOTE=SG;2718359]Ah new thermal pads! Could I get them on ebay? Are there better brands? If so, can I ask what’s best? The XP installation was with SP3 integrated - in fact I’ve seen (obviously non-official) SP4 ISOs floating around the net… Any more efficient at all or stick with SP3?[/QUOTE]

Im not completely up on the best quality pads i think any should do the job but be careful dont use thermal tape as that is thin, i think your issue could be the write speed on that SSD is 10MB/s thats very slow although the read is around 80MB/s which should mean boot times are ok, yeah using a non official XP with all updates integrated should be ok if its from a secure source there are even stripped down versions that use less space and resources floating around

In my experience with the same atom cpu in an eepc as soon as i had XP installed with antivirus it was just slow i ended up running no AV software and no extra programs in background i also had an asus app that overclocks the cpu slightly think by around 200mhz and it made a difference, although there should be a generic program floating around that oc’s through windows as oc’ing through BIOS wont work, should be safe if you check temps i still have the eepc runs fine i replaced the fan after 4 years as it started rattling but worked, thats it

Thanks, finding a secure source is the problem - I’ve had to torrent XP as it never came with a disc although I always used an OEM image as the PC has a sticker with a key on it so I figured it was legal.