Planet Of The Apes (Special Edition)

After using AnyDvd to decrypt Planet of the Apes, used DVD Shrink to try and copy it and got a cyclic redundancy check error at 71%. Wiped off disk surface and tried it about 3 times and got the same error at the same spot.

Here is what AnyDVD’s window says:

Summary for drive H: (AnyDVD 5.6.1.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)

Video DVD (or CD) label: PLANET_OF_THE_APES
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Found & removed Autorun from Video DVD!
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Anyone has some advice or work around for this one???

have you tried ripping it at a slower speed or in a different drive?

it could be that there’s some type of mastering error with the disc that doesn’t affect play, but does affect ripping. sometimes if you slow it down or try another drive it does the trick.

Ther’s no problem with AnyDVD according to the log.
You may have a defective disk. If you have both a reader and burner, try using the other one that you used to rip the files to your drive when you got the error.
If you only have a burner, activate AnyDVD and copy the files to a temporary folder on your hard drive. If Windows Explorer comes up with an error and hangs on a file you have little chance of ever copying that disk because of a production error.
I would return the disk to place of purchase and demand (not request) a replacement.

If the files copy, start CloneDVD and navigate to the folder and try to copy it from there. Let us know how you make out.

Don’t forget that AnyDVD has a “Slow & Easy” feature to slow down the ripper or the burner.

Also, is the disk scratched or dinged? Look carefully, tipping the disk at several angles, directly under a light. A fluorescent light is better than a tungsten or halogen light for spotting surface flaws.

If you see flaws or scratches, post back. I’ve got a little technique that might help.

itzbinnice,
Your gonna make 1000 posts soon!

The fluorescent light tip is a good one. Just tried it and saw a flaw on a troublesom disk I had not seen previously!

BTW - once you reach 1000 posts, is that when you become a die-hard? Is there a higher category?

[QUOTE=Oilman]BTW - once you reach 1000 posts, is that when you become a die-hard? Is there a higher category?

I do believe the 1000 mark is Die Hard, the higher category is CD Freak but I don’t know what that number requires.

Amount of posts is not important, I only wish I could have solved 1000 problems,
unfortunately I was only successful in a small fraction of that number.

I wish everybody would be so helpful and handling each delicate situation, like itzbinnice does. So, Die Hard, buddy… :wink:

[quote=“alex thyl”]

Much appreciated Alex, I still have a lot to learn, but with guys like you on board, the excellent advice you offer is there for all to learn. Keep up the good work.

Regards
itzbinnice