Placing Benq 1655 in extenal enclosure, because new PC is SATA only - need help!

vbimport

I know there are threads about this, but every one of them I have read are not definitive on what type of enclosure/ chipset is required for the Benq 1655 when running the drive via usb.

Due to a hardware failure I had to pick up an inspiron 530 pc which comes with an LG Drive hs-73n. I ordered a Samsung 203N drive which comes today, but from what I am hearing on these boards, neither of these drive are good “disc quality scanners”, like the Benq.

I need to put my Benq in an enclosure to keep the scanning capability (since there is no converter for SATA to IDE for internal drives).

My question, what is the external enclosure of choice that I can purchase ??? Also, do I need to use an external firmware for the benq, or is this allright, as is (since I am running XP SP3 on my new machine). :confused:

My BenQ DW1655 worked well with a Prolific PL-3507 based enclosure, except that it doesn’t reach 16x during reading or writing, but if 12x is good enough for you, then this setup should work.

There is no external firmware for this drive.

My 1650 manages a little over 12x with a NEC based usb enclosure.

My BenQ DW1650 is connected via a USB to IDE/SATA Adapter, but I dont know what chipset it is.

With BCDC fw it reaches 16x reading without problems, but with BCIC fw it only reaches about 15x.

[QUOTE=Womi;2070257]My BenQ DW1650 is connected via a USB to IDE/SATA Adapter, but I dont know what chipset it is.[/QUOTE]

I tried using my Benq DW1650 with a USB to IDE adapter, everything worked but I kept getting errors when trying to do scans in CD-DVD Speed.

You can also get an IDE to SATA converter, off a well known auction site, for £3 to £4 (complete with leads) which works OK. So you could use it internally with one of those.

Scanning only works well via Firewire, or a high-speed USB2 chipset.

Hi,[quote=redhilltown;2069665]
I need to put my Benq in an enclosure to keep the scanning capability (since there is no converter for SATA to IDE for internal drives).[/quote]There is: Logilink AD0005A (just as an example). But I don’t know if they work with optical drives.
You might also consider a Silicon Image A680 based IDE controller card (since most come with Raid firmware, the card has to flashed to Base firmware).

Michael

Guys, after much searching, I found an awesome SYBA Platinum (aluminum) Case on New Egg. It has the NEC Chipset, and has no issues with my 1655 (or 1640) for that matter.

The best part is that my 1655 burns (and reads) at close to 16x for dvd+r media and scans for this media and dvd+r DL show 90 and above marks in CD-Speed after burning. (I am using Verbatim MII DL and Verbatim MIT +R’s).

The SYBA case is highly recommended and has a really quiet fan and “no-screw” design. :smiley: