Pixellation problem(?) burning to a Blue Ray disc

vbimport

Haven’t been to the forum since 2006, but I am having a problem now transfering 8 mm video to Blue Ray. Not sure this is the right forum, but I’ll give it a try.

A service has converted some of my 8 and super 8 movie film to Blue Ray and Standard DVD using a JVC Telecine setup scanning each frame individually. The Standard DVD came out nicely, but the Blue Ray showed
what I think is pixellation, kind of a snowiness and shimmering of the picture. Of course there was nothing wrong with the source movie film. I would like to stick with this service because they are reasonably priced and do the work only out of their location. I would also like to stick with the Blue Ray discs. I have purchased an LG writer,
model WH10LS30K for Blue Ray. There were a few bad reviews of this burner, so I hope I made the right purchase. Question for me is can I point the finger at the service for this bad transfer, or is it just pushing the state of the art to expect better results? They gave me both a data disc of BDAV as MPEGTS and a BDMV Blue Ray disc as AVCHD. Both media had the problem. I will be using Verbatim BD-R 6X to copy my own edited
versions.

It sounds like it was in their transfer. What resolution did they use in the blu ray video? The dvd will have 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 (PAL), but blu ray can accept 720p or 1080p.

If they have pushed it all the way to 1920 x 1080, then it may be a little over the what should probably be done with Super 8 source and frame by frame technique, and may need to be done with a motion picture film scanner. DFT Spirit, for example. But that is [B]pure speculation[/B] on my part, as I do not do this sort of thing.

Assuming 1080p, perhaps you can ask for a 720p copy on a blu ray disk on the next project?

Did they burn the video to the disks or do they have access to a facility to make pressed disks? If they were burned, what type of media, burners and burning speed was used?

Your LG drive is fine by the way. The LG blu ray burners have a very good reputation on these forums.

This topic is probably better suited for the Video Editing forum, so I’m going to move it for you.

Somehow, my Quick Reply was lost.

I think the film transfer was done with 1080 lines. The burning was supposedly done to a Blue Ray at 1080 lines. I’m thinking now this was not a problem with pixellation as the resulting image was not broken up.
However, there were snowy scenes in the beginning, not on the original
movie film. Also, I saw kind of a wavyness or ripples on flat images like the sky.

Somewhere on the web, I read of research which showed image quality
of 35 mm film to be equivalent to 4000 lines of resolution. My high quality Kodak 40 Super 8 film should at least be capable of converting to 1080 lines.

I am awaiting my LG Blue Ray burner to test the two formats the service did for me, a BDMV as AVCHD and a BDAV as MPEGTS. I will compare
these burned discs to a Standard Definition disc they made for me.

I haven’t worked with blu ray but I think the problem is the telecline.
If this applies to blu ray you might have them burn you a BD at the PAL frame rate .
Also progressive instead of interlaced.
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Telecine
If that doesn’t apply to blu ray someone can just post that.

Super 8 was generally 18 frames per second for amateurs, though 24 fps was possible with some cameras. Regular 8mm was normally 16fps, but this varied too.

Blu ray doesn’t have PAL/NTSC divisions. What you normally see on commercially made blu ray is 1080p at 23.976fps. Other resolutions and frame rates are technically allowed however.

By the way, if it was a telecine problem wouldn’t it have shown up on the dvd copy as well? And it didn’t. DVD fps rate is 25 for PAL and 29.97 for NTSC.

Thanks Kerry .
I think it would help if sherwindu checked the frame rate used on his BD discs.
If it is the 23.976fps then that would probably be as close to the Super 8 & regular 8mm as possible on BD disc.
I agree a trial disc at 720p my also show to work better.

The work flow they used might be an issue. If they got lazy and used the 480i DVD transfer to make an up-scaled BD, that would explain the issues seen. Based on the PQ issues described it seems unlikely that they did an HD transfer. But most certainly the issues are a result of the processing done to the video somewhere in the work flow.

I appreciate all the answers.

Can’t be sure what transfer rate was performed, and I may never know for sure. The 720 is an option, but I think the movie film has enough information on it to do a 1080 transfer. Yes, the Standard DVD did not have these shimmering effects, but it lacked some of the sharpness of the Blu-Ray discs. I can request two discs for my next batch, a 720 and a 1080 to do a comparison