Pixellation in Super Video CD

vbimport

Hmm . . . I am not happy about this. I just burned a Super Video CD (SVCD) using Nero from an AVI file from my miniDV camcorder. I noticed that bright highlights in the resulting SVCD movie have some pixellation.

Can someone explain why this is happening? I am using the latest upgrades to NERO.

I wish that the good folks at Ahead would be aware of this and either correct the problem or suggest a work-around.

BTW, I recorded this SVCD at the highest quality level.

Thanks for anyone’s insight.

Bob Shem

ps Note the pixel blocks near the bright television image.

Almost looks 3D

By the way, the pixellation occurs during panned scenes where the entire image is moving.

Hi Bob. Please check your private message.

Hi Bob,

I don’t know whether anyone else has addressed this already, if so please ignore the following. If your SVCD is in the NTSC format, the simplest explanation could be the video is not NTSC safe OR “am I wrong about this”. Nero,I think does not come with an NTSC Safety filter. I realised this the hard way when I tried the same thing you did and landed up with tremendous sync problems which usually happened when the picture was either too bright or too dark( TOO KNOW ABOUT NTSC SAFE COLORS AND WHY THEY EXIST PLEASE GOOGLE FOR IT). Same is not true for Pal. This could “possibly” explain your predicament. I ALSO COULD BE WRONG.

PS: Why would you use Nero to recode when It is known that it is BEST for burning alone(Sorry about that, just my experience). It is far better at recoding audio then video. You should instead try Tmpgenc Plus and VCDEasy for formatting the final SVCD. NERO is the best in the world for burning BY FAR.

Thanks Unicorn,

I will give your suggestions a try!

Bob Shem

Unicorn,

I checked out the Tmpgenc web site and found a variety of versions available. It is a bit confusing. I am not sure whether I should be using the Tmpgenc Plus 2.5 or the Tmpgenc 3.0 Xpress.

http://www.tmpg-inc.com/product/index.html

Which version do you suggest for making SVCDs?

Changing the subject a bit, would you use Tmpgenc for encoding DVDs or would you use a different encoder?

Thanks,

Bob Shem

I was doing a little reading and I think that the defect in my SVCD is referred to as “motion blocking”. Apparently it must be a common problem when compressing a scene with a lot of fast movement, seeing that it is a problem with a specific name that is written up in digital video books.

Perhaps some of you with a better background on encoding can explain it further.

Hi Bob Shem,

Sorry for the late reply but what I would suggest is use Tmpgenc for encoding to the SVCD/DVD format only if you cannot afford CCE(Cinema Craft Encoder), Dont get me wrong Tmpgenc is the best at encoding VCD quality Mpeg Files but when it comes to SVCD/DVD mpeg2’s Everyone usually prefers CCE, but price wise Tmpgenc is by far the better choice on Value for Money(if CCE is out). As far as your question to what you should choose, I’d say that Tmpgenc Plus 2.5 is what you should go for(no bells and whistles, just encoding). So without forcing a choice on you, you should take the choice which is more comfortable for you.

Hope this helps.

PS. Always use Nero for burning the output(after formatting it in the encoder).

Thanks Unicorn 23`

I decided to take Unicorn23`s advice and I purchased CCE Basic. At about $58 it is reasonably priced.

I gave the CCE software a tryout last night. It did a marvelous job with a lousy looking video clip that I recorded with my All in Wonder card from my cable TV.

A month or so ago I used Nero to make DVDs and SVCDs of the same video clip with so-so results.

The SVCD that I burned last night using CCE Basic, VCDEasy, and Nero looks as nice as the original broadcast (albeit somewhat lousy to start with) on my standard definition television set.

Watching the CCE encoded SVCD on my television it is not apparent that you are watching a recording, rather than live television. This is in contrast to SVCDs that I have made using both Roxio and Nero. In those SVCDs it is apparent that you are watching digital recordings as the videos show occasional compression artifacts, which are a dead giveaway.

I really like the “deinterlace” feature of CCE Basic. The CCE Basic did a great job cleaning up the video. In contrast, my Roxio and Nero encoded DVDs and SVCDs did not do a very good job getting rid of the “combing” effect of the interlacing.

NVE is fast, but it doesn’t have the quality options of something like TMPEnc Xpress. I find you get much better results by encoding in TMPenc with any of the deblock/deghost/etc filters that you want, and then dropping that into NVE to get the automatic chapters generated. It takes longer but the results are so much better when viewed on a large TV.

I also find that NVE when left to it’s own devices often gets options like PAL/NTSC, screen aspect ratio in relation to the screen size wrong. You have to set everything manually in NVE, whereas TMPenc gets it right when you select the format.

Hey Unicorn23`

I find that the combination of Cinema Craft Encoder Basic and VCD Easy is great for making SVCDs. The CCE encodes and it is an easy couple of clicks and just a few moments for VCD Easy to construct an image of my SVCD for Nero to burn.

Now here’s my new question. I noticed that I can use CCE to encode DVD video. What I can’t do is plug the CCE-encoded video into VCD Easy to construct a DVD.

Is there a product similar to VCD Easy that can make DVDs as easily as VCD Easy? I would like to take the encoded DVD video and simply plop it into a DVD building program (rather than have the DVD program re-encode the video).

Thanks,

Bob Shem