Pixellation & freezes: why?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Freecom DVD+/-RW16N9 Double Layer External. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello.
I am a complete newboy in the DVD field :iagree:
Here’s my question: when making a DVD-R of a downloaded .avi file, the resulting disks can have pixellation and screen freezes during playback on my DVD player.
What causes these and how can I overcome them in my future DVD copies.
Many thanks
TC

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

What’s the brand and rated speed of the discs are you using, and what speed are you burning at?

Download and run CD-DVD Speed, pop one of the discs in your drive, and go to the “Disc Info” tab - there you’ll find the MID info, please post it for us.

It sounds like a media and/or burn speed problem…but another reason could be the quality of the file you’ve downloaded.

Thanks for your reply.
The disks I’ve got are TDK 1-16x.
I don’t know what speed I’m burning at! How do I tell the speed and can I set this manually?
Is this the MID info you asked for?

MID : MBI 01RG40
Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 6 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X

I have no idea about the file quality I have downloaded. How do I tell what quality an .avi file is? What levels of quality are there?
TC

Check the avi files on the computer by playing them in a media player like Windows Media player or VLC. If you can see pixellation in the same areas of the video on the pc as you see on the dvd player, then the downloads are at fault.

Are you converting these to dvd-video or are you simply burning the files to a blank dvd as files? Many newer players will handle avi files (especially those encoded with divx or xvid) and all you have to do is burn as regular data files. If you are converting, you can sometimes introduce problems in the conversion process. So it would help to know your process and the tools you are using.

Burning speed can be controlled in any burning program. You will either have to find it yourself or tell us which one you are using.

You have found the mid code on those TDK disks. They are made by an Indian company called Moser Baer, but I don’t know much about that particular mid code. My first instinct is to tell you to cut your burning speed down to 8x. If that doesn’t work out, get some Verbatim 16x disks and burn them at 8x or 12x speed.

Many thanks for your reply.
Will be away for a couple of weeks - when I return I’ll get back to you.
Regards,
TC