Pixelation

vbimport

I have never experienced pixelation with a conversion, from the very first release. Why now?

It seems that with versions later than 3.0.0.1, I am occasionally getting pixelation after converting xxxxxxx.mxv file to NTSC DVD. This is from a Blu-Ray source made into MKV file. Nothing wrong with original file.

I experimented with a 3 minute clip and got pixelation but I was doing some heavy downloading in the background.

I tried it again and I got no pixelation. This time I had nothing else running while the conversion was in effect.

QUESTION?

Is there some time dependent factor whilst converting MKV(H264) to MPEG2, where you should not run any other job while converting?

are you burning the result to DVD ?

I simply have CxD create the DVD in a folder. I later burn onto a DVD. I first watch on my monitor. Trust me, this is a conversion problem inside CxD. I have performed multiple conversions on the same file and it never pixelates at the same spot and sometimes it goes all the way perfectly.

VSO should take some 3 minute SAMPLE clips (off the Internet) of MKV/H.264 and convert with different loads on the machine. Try heavy downloading, or running another cpu intensive job, whilst converting MKV. Also try no load other than CxD.

NOTE: I have no MKV Codec or splitter on my PC. THe only MKV decoding is 100% from CxD.

and do you have the same pb with cxd 3.0.0.9 ?

[QUOTE=Gary Parent;2031629]I have never experienced pixelation with a conversion, from the very first release. Why now?

It seems that with versions later than 3.0.0.1, I am occasionally getting pixelation after converting xxxxxxx.mxv file to NTSC DVD. This is from a Blu-Ray source made into MKV file. Nothing wrong with original file.

I experimented with a 3 minute clip and got pixelation but I was doing some heavy downloading in the background.

I tried it again and I got no pixelation. This time I had nothing else running while the conversion was in effect.

QUESTION?

Is there some time dependent factor whilst converting MKV(H264) to MPEG2, where you should not run any other job while converting?[/QUOTE]

Convert X does decode H264 codecs, but if it’s a BD codec then it won’t. However, you may want to ensure that you have the most up to date codecs installed. AVI Demux is a good program that will automatically search and install the latest codecs available.

Is the pixelation on your monitor or your TV? If it’s on your monitor, then that can be common, since your monitor runs at a higher resolution than a TV screen. Keep in mind that DVD runs at 720x480 resolution, not the 1280x720 your HD source is at.

If you are getting pixelation on an upconverted image, then the pixelation dithering is also common, as you are artificially converting a 720x480 image to 1280x720 pixels… However it shouldn’t be dramatic pixelation…