Pirates winning against movie studios

I just posted the article Pirates winning against movie studios.

Even though movie studios have attempted to fight piracy using numerous methods – both physical and digital – they simply haven’t been able to keep up with digital pirates, recent research…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15491-Pirates-winning-against-movie-studios.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15491-Pirates-winning-against-movie-studios.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If it was possible to pay a small monthly fee to be able to watch streaming tv episodes for example, much like just watching cable, I would pay for something like that. Unfortunately, I live in Germany, and there are several websites that wont let me even stream a radio station from the U.S.

This goes the same for movies. Since the quality is compressed and not dvd, they should charge a small monthly fee for unlimited movies. ($10 maybe?)They may consider that a loss, but if there were millions of monthly subscribers…do the math.

zzyzxroad: I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that happened at some point in the future!

You must remember it took years before the RIAA began to accept certain technologies related to music content, and now it’s the MPAA’s turn to have to adapt to new technologies.

They will obviously continue to focus on physical media (DVDs and Blu-ray), but it would be wise if they tried to find a way to monetize streaming content.

This is exactly what I’ve been saying all along. This is why Streaming media is the future. Now, I won’t go too far and say Physical media will be dead, but it will be reduced to a niche market at best.

From the looks of things, these media companies have NOT Learned from the RIAA and record companies. They should embrace technology instead of pushing it aside. People will get what they want, illegally if so be it, if there is no Legal method of obtaining through the same means. (Streaming)

But on the upside, Netflix is a GREAT start. Let’s just hope they don’t get too greedy by upping prices (Rumors of them asking to charge extra for HBO content, which can lead to host of other problems as well…such as charging extra for anything really, but that’s another story altogether)

believe me, streaming is not the future, maybe for countries that are getting good bandwidth, but at the moment its too slow to stream, unless the ISP’s get their act together(unlikely).

fact is, its the optical media that will keep the movie industry alive, look at the dvd rewriter. if that wasn’t available to joe public, do you honestly believe that dvd’s would have taken off?

also as i have previously stated on previous threads, alot of folk would rather have the library of films in their hands, and on their shelves than stream something on the pc/360. you have to remember that most game consoles will probably be in another room(mainly to let the wife/parents watch tv!!)

Streaming won’t work unless the ISP’s start upgrading their pipe. They are reaching a crisis point. They are trying to stifle this by capping bandwidth and/or how much you can download. Unless that changes, streaming isn’t going to make it.

"Streaming won’t work unless the ISP’s start upgrading their pipe."
It also won’t work unless the US corps realize that thete is a market outside the US…

Yeah, unless everyone has a fast, low-latency pipe then streaming for all is a pipe-dream (no pun!).

wats happened two pirate bay

they all got caught didn’t they?

edit:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11915-Bittorrent-tracking-website-Piratebay-raided-by-Swedish-police.html

I think changes in technology such as streaming media and IPODs have changed the way both video and audio media reaches the public. No longer does on have to leave the comforts of home to look-up and obtain virtually any thing from media to merchandise. Remember how the recoding industry fought the original Beta & VHS players but later found out they were potential profit centers. The how they fought the Rio mp3 player and again ITunes offered a way. Music lovers could rip music/replicate into other formats, When DVD became available programs became available to rip them as well. Again law suits went out and closed most of them down such as the author of the famous DVD decryptor. They even lobbied for the Digital Millennium Act which stated that programs which hacked copy protected software was illegal. Still bottom line is the government and RIAA has not stopped the flow of information. Change is inevitable and like everyone else needs to adapt and embrace it. It is time to work with change instead of trying to stop or manage it to their liking.

A pet peeve of mine is why do the RIAA have lifetime rights over media? I think it should be like the drug companies and have a limited life protection before it become public domain like 7 years. Take for example “It’s a Wonderful Life” all the actors are now dead and even the movie studio which made the movie is gone. But who owns the rights to the move but Sony/Viacom who was not in existence at the time the movie was made. Does this seem right? Also why is it ok for outside parties to make after market parts for automobiles? Why isn’t there exclusivity for the auto industry? Why isn’t the average worker paid royalties for their efforts? Hopefully you can see my point.

’ think changes in technology such as streaming media and IPODs have changed the way both video and audio media reaches the public. No longer does on have to leave the comforts of home to look-up and obtain virtually any thing from media to merchandise.’

I understand what you are saying, but what we all have to remember here is that most joe public has no idea how to get media streamed from their PC’s to their TV anyway, and also that most PC’s are in a different room from the TV in the first place, and this is why video streaming will die, if the lack of bandwidth doesnt kill it off first lol!

As you may know by now, the charges against thepiratebay (serving you better than any corporate fat cat) were dropped on some key issues, involving distribution of copyrighted media. The charge now is on werther they are guilty of pointing to where this media is located on the interweb.

As you may or may not understand by now, the issue has hit its key point: Can the individual do what they want, say what they want, distribute what they want, point to what they want on the internet?

The movie and music corporate representatives say NO. You can not. Hence: Google is illegal. MSN is illegal. Yahoo is illegal.

The internet is illegal and should be banned, hindered and ultimately stopped from making any progress without our explicit control.

This is where the case stands.

Kind reguards,

Kai

Oslo, Norway.