Pirates of the Carribean - Backup Issue

I have backed up Pirates of the Carribean (Region 2), with dvd2One in full disk mode and the copy is fine in 2 standalones (Pacific & Panasonic) & on PS2, but 2 different models of Sony standalones have problems with playback … skipping chapters and generally behaving erraticly.

I have ripped with DVD Decrypter 3.1.7.0 and also tried it without it, using AnyDVD, but same results. I’ve burnt one copy with Nero 6 and another with CopyToDVD, still the same.
I’m using Traxdata Ritek G04’s and have burnt hundreds of these, including disks from the same batch, without a hitch, so I’m confident it’s not media related.

Has anyone else had similar issues with Sony standalones ?

On the dvdrhelp web site the Sonys show as pretty sporatic in playing burned DVDs. You might want to check if you model is there and what media software combination works for your player;)

Originally posted by nmpaulcp
On the dvdrhelp web site the Sonys show as pretty sporatic in playing burned DVDs. You might want to check if you model is there and what media software combination works for your player;)

Thanks for your reply … but like I said, I have burnt hundreds of backups, that play ok in both Sony standalones.
I think it’s something specific to this particular DVD (Pirates of the Carribean) or maybe new Disney disks, that confuse the Sony models.

I just wondered if anyone had found similar problems with it.

OK , since posting, I have tried the backup on 3 further standalones (JVC, Bush and another Panny) and it worked fine.

I have now ripped the film only and burnt it, without the Menus etc. and it plays fine now in the Sony.

I have had this before on a few films, so it looks like it’s a Sony issue.

No big deal really as the film is better quality, without all the crap/trailers etc.

Hello Phil,

I am a newbie and a newcomer to cdfreaks. I’ve had some trouble with the Pirates DVD too but different difficulties.
I used the same versions of Decryptor and DVD2One that you did but the final product was a folder at 4.41 GBs that Nero 6.0 and Nero 5.5 said was too big to burn onto a regular DVD. I was using the full disk option like always do because I want all the bells and whistles. Some people think the 4.41 Gb is fine and should be able to be burned but I couldn’t get it to work. I tried DVD SHrink but am not at all comfortable with it. Have any tips for me? Thanks for your time.

Marcher613

@ marcher613

Try lowering the output size on Dvd2One to 4400mb and see if this solves it.

sorry if this is a dumb question but im just getting into this- but i want to back this movie up also…

is my thinking correct-- i could decrypt this movie with AnyDVD to my hard drive, and then burn it with DVD2one. is that the right process or am i missing something?

Sounds about right.

Originally posted by macrovisionsux
[B]sorry if this is a dumb question but im just getting into this- but i want to back this movie up also…

is my thinking correct-- i could decrypt this movie with AnyDVD to my hard drive, and then burn it with DVD2one. is that the right process or am i missing something? [/B]

Actually, the purpose of AnyDvd is to eliminate the need to Decrypt a dvd to hard-drive–one just has to point to the dvd in D2O and Process (not burn) to HD:/VIDEO_TS. Then use C2D, or other burning-app, to burn the thing.

Go here for how to on using dvd shrink to burn dvds. Pretty straight foward, and works for me.

http://www.adocorp.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1073212476&archive=&start_from=&ucat=7&

Hey all,

I use xcopy platnum

backed up 20 ish movies

first time I had a problem was today.

my boss’s daughter.

works in my computer dvd
works in my sons room cheap dvd player…

will not work in my $400 dollar sony … go figure…

anyone run into this yet and figured out a solution?

Thanks

Daveincave

By the way,

It must be something on the dvd’s itself…

Why would 19 movies work and not 1???

Has anyone seen any difference in the dvd’s coding???

Thanks

Daveincave

Just a Short Update …

After much head scratching and trying various processes, I concluded the following :

Pirates of the Caribbean played fine on the Sony in Movie only mode, so it has to be something in the Menus.

I processed the full disk in DVD Shrink and the disk played fine in the Sony, menus as well.
So it has to be something in the ifo files that Dvd2one creates, that the Sony doesn’t like, relating to the menus.

I must stress that this only happens on certain movies, so I have decided to use DVD Shrink in future, when DVD2One fails.

Hope this helps.