Pirates leak Windows 8.1 RTM – reveals new activation method

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Pirates leak Windows 8.1 RTM – reveals new activation method[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-windows8-desktop-670x410.jpg[/newsimage]

Only a couple of days after Microsoft released Windows 8.1 RTM to PC manufacturers it has been made available on torrent sites

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/pirates-leak-windows-8-1-rtm-reveals-new-activation-method-68592/](http://www.myce.com/news/pirates-leak-windows-8-1-rtm-reveals-new-activation-method-68592/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

LInux is still free.

[QUOTE=iamrocket;2697804]LInux is still free.[/QUOTE]
And still plagued with a lack of applications, driver issues and ‘geeky’ learning curve and image…Although I’m no fan of Win8 either.

I wonder if you can install it on top of an activated windows 8 OS without re-activating with the new method…:cool:

@roadworker: I’ve heard that the only way to get the free upgrade is to upgrade through the Windows Store, so I’m thinking it won’t need to be activated. I wish Microsoft would allow us to download an ISO so that if we need to rebuild our systems in the future, we won’t have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1.

This is where my comment should have gone

I suppose this version fones home every 5 minutes to verify it’s genuine. If your internet connection is off line so is Windows…

Bah, what a crap of an OS.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2697808]@roadworker: I’ve heard that the only way to get the free upgrade is to upgrade through the Windows Store, so I’m thinking it won’t need to be activated. I wish Microsoft would allow us to download an ISO so that if we need to rebuild our systems in the future, we won’t have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1.[/QUOTE]

THX for the info,Brad!
When I upgraded to win 8,Upgrade assistant downloaded the setup files to a hidden folder in my C: directory b4 it created the .iso.
I hope that’s still the case with 8.1,so I could burn the contents of the hidden folder to dvd if there’s no iso creation…:stuck_out_tongue:

New activation method… because the old one didn’t spy on users nearly enough. Seriously, some were so close to getting actual privacy.

(I love sarcasm!)

[QUOTE=BradWright;2697808] I wish Microsoft would allow us to download an ISO so that if we need to rebuild our systems in the future, we won’t have to install Windows 8 and then upgrade to 8.1.[/QUOTE]

There’s a workaround for it…but probably not M$ approved…:bigsmile:
It seems that you can upgrade from a certain iso with a testing key from Microsoft,but can’t activate it with that key.(which is good,of course!:iagree:)
However,after the installation,you can feed your own, legal obtained key to the activation window and get a fully activated version.
If you also have a legal key for Windows Media Center,you can use it to get a 8.1 Pro Media Center Edition…:stuck_out_tongue: