Pionner DVD-RW DVR-K17LF ATA Device

Hi, I’ve got a really serious problem with my DVD reader. It stopped to be working. I mean, it does read CD’s but not DVD discs. I dont know what is the issue. I went through the internet and didnt find any solution. Please help me. It is not a software problem, because my notebook does not boot from DVD’s, but from CD’s does…

It is possible that the drive is partially dead, since it uses two different lasers for reading dvds and cds.

You can try removing the upper and lower filters. Click on the link in my signature to get to the Microsoft article on that.

I did try it, although there was only a key about lower filters, which might be a little awkward… is it?

Shouldn’t be. Just follow the instructions in that article, or use the Fixit program.

what is that? and what if i just buy a new dvd reader? can i get a help with that?

Go to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314060& (Same one as in my signature). Click on the large FIXIT button. If you are running IE, you can run the program from that site. Or you can download the executable file and run it from your computer.

If you want to get a new burner, you can certainly get advise here about selecting and installing one.