Pionner burn all DVDs with CDFS!

vbimport

Ok i just got my new Pioneer DVR-115 after doing some research/reading here. I burn a few Mitsubishi 16X DVD+ and also DVD- with the bitsetting and read speed patch. I normally use Nero Express 6.6.1.15 to burn my 720p mkv as data dvd, and all this while my BenQ and Liteon burn it as UDF by default. But i notice all the DVD+ burn by my new Pioneer is in CDFS, and my Liteon some times will just detect it as having bad block and refuse to read it. While the BenQ can read it no problem.

OK my question is, why do Pioneer burn it as CDFS which obviously is a CD format? Even though my BenQ and Pioneer itself is reading it fine, but i just wanna make sure that its compatible to most DVD-ROM out there, including stand-alone DVD player, which may be able to play mkv files one day.

So is there anyway to make it burn as UDF instead of CDFS for DVD? Beacuse there is no option in Nero Express to select UDF or ISO. I can use Nero Burning Rom though not a problem, but what format should i use for the most compatiblility? UDF/ISO or just plan UDF? I can’t use ISO since i have a single 4.3 GB file that SIO do not allow. Anyone?

Ok my mistake on the title, it only burn DVD+ in CDFS, where else DVD- is in UDF by default. And after trying with ISO/UDF, seems this format did not support file bigger than 2GB also, so i guest i only left with one choice- UDF.

So i try burning with Nero Burning Rom in UDF, and now my Liteon 18A1P detect those disc as UDF. But there is still occasionally problem reading it (3 out of 10 times) And all other DVD burnt with BenQ and Liteon itself previously is perfectly fine. But the funny thing is that once Liteon manage to detect it right after i inside the disc, it will read the disc fine with near perfect scan with KProbe and Nero. So seems that the problem may be the lead in/out of Pioneer.

So i come to think about it: Which DVD drive is the one to blame? Liteon being picky with what the Pioneer had burnt? Or the Pioneer being anal at setting DVD+ to CDFS by default (On purpose)? Or its just my individual case? Can anyone with the same drive verify this with Nero Express?

Thanks.

Nobody willing to help?

i know of the formats but dont know all the details with out research. all i can offer is to try imgburn. by default imgburn will use ISO9660 + UDF 1.02. i have good results with ImgBurn and compatibility using the default file system setting.
http://www.imgburn.com/

UDF is a file system in it’s own right and does not depend on another one also being present.
UDF supports long / mixed case file names and does NOT have the 4GB file size limit of Joliet and ISO9660.
It is the ‘better’ option for those people using up-to-date operating system. I say ‘up-to-date’ because older ones like Windows 95 and 98 cannot read / understand the UDF file system and will probably report the disc as being corrupt if that’s the only one on it.

Standalone DVD players are only supposed to (made to) understand UDF. Being able to read ISO9660 / Joliet is optional. As such, if you’re building a DVD Video disc, you at least want to make sure the UDF filesystem is present in any image you’re building / burning.
A typical DVD Video disc you buy from a shop will use ‘ISO9660 + UDF’, so to be totally correct, that’s what you should use too. That way, a standalone player can read it (due to UDF) and PC’s with old operating systems can read it (due to ISO9660). A new operating system can read both but will favour UDF because it’s more advanced.

Thanks for the suggestion. But do i need to create an images for data dvd before burning?

No, Open the program and select Write files/folders to disc option

I can see thee is 2 options in imgburn for data dvd. The build mode and write mode. So would the build mode make the dvd more compatible with other drive, or there is no different?

[QUOTE=tong1774;2100906]Ok my mistake on the title, it only burn DVD+ in CDFS, where else DVD- is in UDF by default. And after trying with ISO/UDF, seems this format did not support file bigger than 2GB also, so i guest i only left with one choice- UDF.

So i try burning with Nero Burning Rom in UDF, and now my Liteon 18A1P detect those disc as UDF. But there is still occasionally problem reading it (3 out of 10 times) And all other DVD burnt with BenQ and Liteon itself previously is perfectly fine. But the funny thing is that once Liteon manage to detect it right after i inside the disc, it will read the disc fine with near perfect scan with KProbe and Nero. So seems that the problem may be the lead in/out of Pioneer.

So i come to think about it: Which DVD drive is the one to blame? Liteon being picky with what the Pioneer had burnt? Or the Pioneer being anal at setting DVD+ to CDFS by default (On purpose)? Or its just my individual case? Can anyone with the same drive verify this with Nero Express?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be confused about the formats by info probably from the OS…
You need to differ between CDFS, ISO, UDF and even their subcategories…

I had been doing some intense reading and are quite clear what those format means now. And just noticed that all this while the data DVD that i burn with Nero Express are all in ISO9660/CDFS format., excepts those files that are bigger than 2GB and Nero Express will auto set the disc to UDF.

But the problem i am facing now is when ever the Pioneer 115 burned a DVD+R with ISO9660, the Liteon will have hard time reading it as a DVD. It will detect it as CD and refuse to read it, and Event Viewer reports bad block on the disc. And all other dvd drive read it without problem. But there are other weird things, i will put it down in line so it will be clearer.

1. All DVD+ and DVD- burned previously with BenQ and Liteon are perfectly readable by all drives (Test it with 6 to 7 drives) And all DVD+ were bitset to DVD-ROM and burn as either ISO9660 or UDF.

2. All DVD- burned with the new Pioneer 115 with the latest firmware are readable with Liteon and all other drives. Burn as either ISO9660 or UDF.

3. All DVD+ burned with the new Pioneer 115 with the latest firmware pathed to allow bitsetting, occasionally not readable with Liteon but all other drives read ok. Burn as either ISO9660 or UDF with Nero Express and also Nero Burning Rom 6.6.1.15.

So i am confused as which one is to blame. Pioneer? Liteon? or Nero? I am trying out Imgburn and get back to you guys shortly.

what brand and MID are your blanks? what speed are you burning? using Nero, do the same data and same dvd burned with a drive other than pioneer or lite-on read in the lite-on?

for ImgBurn please use build mode,

Thanks againTroy. I am using Mitsubishi MCC 004 and burn with 8X speed. And the same data burn with BenQ and Liteon is readable in all drive, just not Pioneer.

I just tried with imgburn using the same data and same MID and same speed, burn with ISO9660+UDF. And now Liteon read it perfectly 10 out of 10 times I re-insert the disc. But may be i need to try using imgburn for a long run the see if it happen again.

So may be the problem is when Nero meet Pioneer and also Liteon. Took out one of the factor and its ok. Thats strange.

I will report back again. Thanks for everthing Troy.

At what speeds did you burn that MCC 004s?

8X, tried 12X also still the same. The things is if Liteon decide it cannot detect it, window will says it has bad block. But once Liteon manage to detect it, the scan result is good. So i am assuming its not the quality of the burn, but more like compatiblity issue or file system to me.

Oh by the way, there is one thing i am not so sure. Is CDFS same with ISO9660? Seems to me that CDFS is for music CD, why do window read it as CDFS when it was burned as ISO9660? And the same disc in MAC OS reported as ISO9660.

Ok latest update:

Just burned a few more data DVDs with Pioneer. Samething happen, seems to me that its kind of ramdom. Sometimes it will be ok for 10 attempts, and sometimes 3 fails attempts in a row.

Tried with some cheap OEM MCC 003 (Looks like fake MID) and it end up 100% readable by Liteon. So in this case not all DVD+ media are effected. I will try with other media once i get whole of them.

Whats wrong? Everytime i press refresh it generates a new post, and i cant edit them. Very sorry for that.

Ok here is what i did:

1. Un-install the drive, restart window. Same.

2. Roll back to the older firmware which is GLOG. Same.

3. Update again to GLOJ. Same.

4. Using Region Killer to disable the region setting. Same

5. Burn another DVD+ with the same data with Imgburn with the same setting using Liteon. No problem, all drive can read it.

The only thing i havent do is roll back to stock firmware for Pioneer 115 and burn again, and also un-install Pioneer see if Liteon can read the disc.

If all fail, i either have to give up the Pioneer or the Liteon.

the lite-on is a few years old now. i dont see lite-on firmware have affect for reading. have you tried cleaning it? yeah i would also do another flash to the pioneer, if not just for fun.

[QUOTE=tong1774;2101402]Whats wrong? Everytime i press refresh it generates a new post, and i cant edit them. Very sorry for that.[/QUOTE]
You better don’t use the refresh button then after posting. Could be due to the way the quick reply is implemented by the forum software that a page refresh sends the reply again instead of reloading the whole page.

Removed the duplicates.

Sorry but how do i remove the duplicate? I cant seems to edit it at all. There is no edit button anywhere now. But it was there before.

The Liteon are not really that old. How-ever it seems to have problem and i already sent for RMA once, and this is the re-furbish unit. But since both of them work well on its own, i will just keep both and use the Pioneer to burn DVD- and Liteon to burn DVD+ untill i find out what is the problem. Will try to flash the Pioneer back to stock firmware and see what happen. Thanks everyone.