Pionner 112D - Drive not initializing using Verbatim DVD-16R

Guys

Pioneer 112D - brand new drive bought in Mar 2007.

Have just taken delivery from SVP a batch of Verbatim DVD-R 16x [Advanced AZ0+]. However, these new discs are not being recognised by the Pioneer 112D, using Nero. Message from Nero "The Drive is not initializing, perpahs due to defective disc]. I have tried another tub from the same delivery, same error message appeared.

I have burned over 100 Verbatim using the Pioneer, with no problems before.

Any suggestions what causes this problem - new dye, defective disc.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Reports about bad 16x Verb batches are growing…

Drive in UDMA4 mode?

Thanks Chef, Drive is in UDMA5 and UDMA2 for the Primary and Secondary IDE respectively. It is burning ok using Infiniti disc.

I suspect it might be fireware problem, as Pioneer issued a new Firmware [Version 1.09] on 7 March 2007.

Qn : how do I check which version of Firmware I have got for my DVD Burner ?

CC

Then there is something wrong.
This drive should be in UDMA4 mode, UDMA5 is not possible, that must be an harddisk connected.
Somake sure the Pio is running on an 80 wire IDE cable and in UDMA4 mode.

hi chef

Thanks for the reply. The UDMA5 on the primary IDE relates to my harddrive, which I understand is normal.

The Secondary IDE with UDMA2 mode indicates, I think, I am using a 40 wire cable. However, I don’t think this is the critical factor as it has been burning probably until Friday. In fact, it was burning ok this morning using Infiniti disc. So I think, and hope, it is something to do with the Verbatim disc.

See last post in my earlier query : http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=215948&highlight=slow+burning

I have also checked the firmware in the drive, which is the latest version. So, it is up to Svp, the retailer, to find out if this problem is due to a bad batch of Verbatim discs.

Thanks for you help.

CC

Mh, you could be a lucky one then.

The Pioneer burners starting from the 109 range really require an 80 wire cable and set up into UDMA4 mode to work properly.