Pioneer to release Dual format HD-DVD / Blu-Ray Writer

I just posted the article Pioneer to release Dual format HD-DVD / Blu-Ray Writer.

Pioneer will soon be
following up its current next generation Blu-ray writer with a model that
supports Dual Layer Blu-Ray media the BDR-102. While this may excite some
users the most…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12287-Pioneer-to-release-Dual-format-HD-DVD-_-Blu-Ray-Writer.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12287-Pioneer-to-release-Dual-format-HD-DVD-_-Blu-Ray-Writer.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’ll buy that !

…For a Dollar!

At least a hybrid player would allow one to get all the content that is going to be available. Each side would get the royalty for their format as well. Probably this is best for the consumer to have both formats if hybrid players/recorders come along, as it will drive competition. Each format will try to out do the other and also it may help drive prices down faster on media. The hybrid recorder/players coupled with a low enough price on blank media, could make blue laser practical for archiving/transporting information. Time will tell. But, there is always a flip side. Who would buy a blue laser player or recorder right now, until they had more information on these hybrids?
[edited by Crabbyappleton on 01.09.2006 15:12]

I guess it’s the way to go…but this whole “WAR” is still completely annoying though…

You couldn’t say it any better.:g

The war is over! With this announcement the floodgates will open…dual drives from LG, Liteon, Samsung and probably many others. And from there dual format will flood into the CE market. This is great development!

>>>> Who would buy a blue laser player or recorder right now, until they had more information on these hybrids?

This will actually hurt Sony in the end, not help them. Why? Because the PS3 will be bluray only. :slight_smile: They’re placing all their faith in the concept that they can win the “war” and get everyone to release their content on one format…theirs. However, if hybrid devices become the norm, there is less pressure on studios to back one or the other format. Great for the consumer and studios, bad for anyone who thinks the war should be won. :slight_smile:

yay like the -r vs +r era!

it will be mainstream if anyone can be arsed to buy them, people still object to the price of dual layer DVD media and look how old that is.

Odd… Pioneer are strenuously denying the validity and factual nature of this article. I wonder why?

Good for Pioneer, bad for us. I don’t want something that supports both formats. Well, not really. I want an undisputed winner between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. It was nice when VHS won out over beta - at least the confusion was gone.

this is the sorta thing we dont want to see!!! THIS SOCULD RESULT IN A WAR WHERE NO PARTY IS A DISTINCT WINNER, THE MARKET WILL BE SHIT IN THIS SITUATION. IT WILL COST MORE THAN JUST HAVING ON FORMAT SUCH AS DVD. MONEY WILL BE SPENT ON ADVERTISING EACH FORMAT. MONEY RIGHT OUTTA UR POKECTS WITH YOU BUY RELATED PRODUCTS! WE WANT A CLEAR WINNER NOT WASHY SHIT LIKE THIS! damn!

Disagree with both the above posts - a hybrid drive is ideal for the consumer. It’s all very well saying there should just be one format…nobody denies the existance of this format war is very annoying. However we are now in the situation where we have TWO formats. If one fails now some consumers will lose. Furthermore both have/will have made good inroads into the market so you are now talking about significant numbers of people losing out. A dual format drive - and in due course players - solves this. Both formats can co-exist and we can cherry pick the best features/performance from each format.

…I’d not worry too much. This story came initially from theregister and was proven a hoax/mis-information by the folks at Pioneer. Please don’t attach any kudos to this rubbish.

>>>> This story came initially from theregister and was proven a hoax/mis-information by the folks at Pioneer