Pioneer SUCKS!

I have 2 Pioneer DVD drives, a 110D and a 111D. Both have what Pioneer considers new firmware, dated 9/2006. Problem is most new discs are 16x and these drives see them as 8x or if i’m lucky 12x, but not usually. I Like the drives but Pioneer sucks when it comes to firmware… Does anyone know of a better firmware for these drives before I scrap them both ???

Thanks
Brian :confused::confused::confused:

Get better media instead. There’s a reason Pioneer firmware engineers think those discs should be burned at less than rated speed in the Pioneer DVR-111D. The same might be true for the 110D but that is an older drive, so the newest 16x rated media that has come out after the 110D drive may not be well supported.

My suggestion: Burn at the speed provided by the drive and don’t worry about the couple of minutes extra burn time (with higher chance of a good quality burn), or get some better media like e.g. Verbatim.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1979685]Get better media instead. There’s a reason Pioneer firmware engineers think those discs should be burned at less than rated speed in the Pioneer DVR-111D. The same might be true for the 110D but that is an older drive, so the newest 16x rated media that has come out after the 110D drive may not be well supported.

My suggestion: Burn at the speed provided by the drive and don’t worry about the couple of minutes extra burn time (with higher chance of a good quality burn), or get some better media like e.g. Verbatim.[/QUOTE]

Tayo Yuden, Ritek and Verbatim is what I use. Could it be that Pioneers tech support just plain SUCKS ??? These discs burn fine at rated speed in my LG,s, Samsungs, and Lite-On drives. 16x media was not designed to burn at 4x or 8x, thats where errors start happening… :smiley:

16x rated Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim DVD media will burn at 16x in the Pioneer DVR-111D with the latest 1.29 firmware from September 2006. I’m not sure about the 110D.

RITEKF1 (16x DVD-R) will burn at 16x but other RiTEK media will burn at 12x or slower on the 111D.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1979769]16x rated Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim DVD media will burn at 16x in the Pioneer DVR-111D with the latest 1.29 firmware from September 2006. I’m not sure about the 110D.

RITEKF1 (16x DVD-R) will burn at 16x but other RiTEK media will burn at 12x or slower on the 111D.[/QUOTE]

My point is the last firmware for these drives was in September 2006 !!! Alot of things have changed and drives need new firmware to burn the new media properly. Of all the brands of drives I have, Lite-on is on the ball with firmware and Pioneer sucks, plain and simple. It’s too bad the support sucks because these drives burn really well. :doh::doh::doh:

Pioneer has that down speed thang and always will. They are not gutsy drives so to speak like LO and BenQ (pre LO) etc…never have and never will i guess…

[QUOTE=unisaw;1979877]…It’s too bad the support sucks because these drives burn really well. [/QUOTE]
I recently found that my 110D wouldn’t reliably burn Verbatim 8x DVD+RW at 8x, so I used this as an excuse to buy a new 115D. It only costs $36.00 including shipping from Newegg. I still use the 110D for ripping, and it burns Verbatim 16x DVD+RW and DVD-RW at 16x, which is pretty amazing after all the use it has received. All around, I think Pioneer is hard to beat.

[QUOTE=unisaw;1979877][B]My point is the last firmware for these drives was in September 2006 !!![/B] Alot of things have changed and drives need new firmware to burn the new media properly. Of all the brands of drives I have, Lite-on is on the ball with firmware and Pioneer sucks, plain and simple. It’s too bad the support sucks because these drives burn really well. :doh::doh::doh:[/QUOTE]

We have 2008 and actual Pioneer burners are 115 and 215. Before 112 and 212 were actual models…just calc a bit.
I still have 110 and 111 running here and no problems like you describe, latest firmwares for these drives are solid and working.
If you are using mediocre media like Ritek, its your own problem.

Pioneer 110 was a total disaster for me (it couldn’t read CMC MAG E01 burnt with 109 and had important data) I sold it and got 111 , all my Pioneers were Asus rebadges .

111 is an excellent quality burner and above all “consistent” , it burns Verbatim 16X +/-R as well as TY 16X -R very well with 8.29 (1.29)

@ unisaw,

I have two soon to be retired Pioneer DVR-111s with version 8.29 Firmware and both of these DVD Burners burn Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim 16x speed Media flawlessly. My two Pioneer DVR-111s will be replaced with a flawlessly functioning Pioneer DVR-112D v1.24 and a DVR-115D v1.06.

I also have a now “retired” Pioneer DVR-110D v1.41 which prior to retirement burned Taiyo Yuden DVD-R TYG03, DVD+R YUDEN000T03 and Verbatim DVD+R MCC004 Media at 16x speed without any problems.

In short both the Pioneer DVR-110D and DVR-111 burn Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim Media at 16x speed without any problems.

It should be noted if you review the CD Freaks Pioneer Forum postings you would find that my experience with the Pioneer DVR-110 and DVR-111 DVD Burner is typical of the performance of these Model Numbers.

It appears that you have either user error, hardware configuration, and/or use of poor quality Media problem affecting the Pioneer DVR-110/DVR-111 performance. Until you provide hard factual verifiable information the cause of your actual problem is only open to conjecture.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=unisaw;1979766]Tayo Yuden, Ritek and Verbatim is what I use. Could it be that Pioneers tech support just plain SUCKS ??? These discs burn fine at rated speed in my LG,s, Samsungs, and Lite-On drives. 16x media was not designed to burn at 4x or 8x, thats where errors start happening… :D[/QUOTE]

Are you comparing an old pioneer with new drives. I got an LG and it just had one and only one firmware update since launch in 2006. LG just keeps on introducing new models instead of supporting its existing models.:a

In my own experience, firmware support from Lite-On is good, but not LG.

[QUOTE=joj;1985699]In my own experience, firmware support from Lite-On is good, but not LG.[/QUOTE]
I would disagree here. I have a LiteOn 1693 and I think less than a year after drive release they already stopped updating firmwares for this model.

Pioneer does NOT SUCK !!! :bigsmile:

Pioneer is a good quality burner perhaps the operator just doesn’t know whats going on FW 8.25 gives me 18X burning IF I want to go that fast but only burn at 12 with Verb’s 16X and get GREAT picture quality

LIke what was said it all depends on the media that you use :iagree::iagree::iagree:

[QUOTE=jcusimano2;1986001]Pioneer does NOT SUCK !!! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

:iagree:I AGREE!:iagree:

[QUOTE=Liggy;1985856]I would disagree here. I have a LiteOn 1693 and I think less than a year after drive release they already stopped updating firmwares for this model.[/QUOTE]

I think we are talking about the same thing. LiteOn do update firmwares regularly for their burners within ~1 year after the drives release.

LG has little update at all:a.

That’s why I stick with NEC/Optiarc who update firmwares even 2 or 3 years after they release a new drive model. :wink:

We are talking about $30. drives here. Sometimes I feel that they were 1 or 2 firmwares away from perfection and stopped because they put out a new drive(liteon). They want new sales, thats business.

To be honest, LG is even baddier. :frowning: