Pioneer ships PC-based Blu-ray disc drives

vbimport

I just posted the article Pioneer ships PC-based Blu-ray disc drives.

May 17, 2006
12:00 PM US Eastern Timezone
Pioneer Ships PC-Based Blu-ray Disc Drives; Innovative Drive
Significantly Increases Storage Capacity for Professionals…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11861-Pioneer-ships-PC-based-Blu-ray-disc-drives.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11861-Pioneer-ships-PC-based-Blu-ray-disc-drives.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Link Here’s the drive for $99.99, of course, it’s after a rebate of $900 from those most reliable rebaters: Tiger Direct. /jk Seriously, though, beyond professionals who absolutely must have the raw storage for very large video or data (and willing to trust the media won’t erode after 6 months), @ $1000 this is a non-starter.
[Link edited]
[edited by H3rB3i on 18.05.2006 08:55]

Well, DVD burners started out above 1000 USD and 1000 USD was worth more back then too. So, Blu-ray Disc is actually cheaper.

I will wait for dual layer before considering it.

well u gotta keep in mind that when DVD’s lounched they were almost the size of most of the harddrives, so they were quite a revolution. We were able to back up harddrives on a couple of dvds 1000 starting point worth it Let 's see now , most of the drives are lets say medium size 120gigs How many blurays do I need let’s say 5 Well that is lot and look at the price of bluray disk 30 $ 150 $ to backup my 100$ worth hdd??? (without counting the price of the actual burner) U have to see the big picture here I don’t recall the price of first dvd disks being the same as the hardrives

[edited by Andrei on 18.05.2006 16:12]

[edited by Andrei on 18.05.2006 16:10]

well u gotta keep in mind that when DVD’s lounched they were almost the size of most of the harddrives, so they were quite a revolution. We were able to back up harddrives on a couple of dvds 1000 starting point worth it Let 's see now , most of the drives are lets say medium size 120gigs How many blurays do I need let’s say 5 Well that is lot and look at the price of bluray disk 30 $ 150 $ to backup my 100$ worth hdd??? (without counting the price of the actual burner) U have to see the big picture here I don’t recall the price of first dvd disks being the same as the hardrives

[edited by Andrei on 18.05.2006 16:11]

Andrei you talk to much. :slight_smile:

Andrei, True, though this can be said for backing up any HDD data to any other media, as HDDs’ capacity grows so quickly (much quicker than any other media).
[edited by adam917 on 19.05.2006 02:15]

I just wish that the faster RPM HDD gets more common and bigger. I am tired of seeing 7200RPM HDD for MANY years now.

well i don’t wish hdd at 10k get common, i wish we get rid of this old mechanical way of storing data . and have someting like Iram from gigabyte get common only bigger

this is dual layer moron. thats what the BD-R 50GB disc is for. I have both 25 disc and 50 disc and the panasonic drive (much better by the way because it can do CD’s as well).