Pioneer releases DVR-A04-J, Its New DVD-R/RW Drive

vbimport

I just posted the article Pioneer releases DVR-A04-J, Its New DVD-R/RW Drive.

We already reported about the upcoming Pioneer A04 DVD recorder more than 2 weeks ago, but today Pioneer sent out a press release of the release of the drive.

The DVR-A04-J is to be released…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3645-Pioneer-releases-DVR-A04-J-Its-New-DVD-R_RW-Drive.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3645-Pioneer-releases-DVR-A04-J-Its-New-DVD-R_RW-Drive.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This drive is the bomb! :g

Sounds great! I certainly hope it has some kind of anti buffer underrun technology, otherwise you might be up for some “expensive” coasters!?!

It’s possible… Maybe it’s already built-in but we just don’t know yet…

It has Anti Buffer under-run protection built in. Write Speed: DVD-R = 2x or 1x DVD-RW = 1x CD-R = 8x or 4x CD-RW = 4x Access Time: DVD = 200 Msec (Random Average) When DVD-ROM Single Layer Disc and CD-ROM Mode1 Disc are used. CD = 180 Msec (Random Average) When DVD-ROM Single Layer Disc and CD-ROM Mode1 Disc are used. Data Buffer = 2Mbytes I have more specs i got all of the specs from the CeBit.

Write Support = DVD-R (4.7 GB for General disc only), DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW Read Support = DVD-ROM & DVD-VIDEO (Single & Dual layers) DVD-R (all types), DVD-RW, CD-ROM Mode 1, CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form 1, form 2), Photo CD (Single and multiple session), CD-DA, CD-Extra, CD-TEXT, CD-R, CD-RW (Support AM2) Interface = ATAPI (ATA/ATAPI-5 & MMC3, SFFC INF8090 Ver.5) Mounting Orientation = Horizontal and Vertical Power Consumption = Maximum 23,8W Dimensions (W x H x D) = 148 x 42.3 x 197.7 mm 5-13/16" x 1-11/16" x7-13/16" Net Weight = 1.2 kg A Complete recording solution in one drive Now with improved functionality .Wider Compatibility .Higher Speeds .Lower Noise .UDMA33 Support .Vertical and Horizontal Installations

WTF?! 2Mbs data buffer?? CD burners have more and they are writing less! No wonder the speed is 2x! :r

2x dvd-r is not the same as 2x cdr

What about Microsoft supporting the DVD+R standard now. I was thinking about buying a Pioneer but dunno anymore.

2x dvd-r is not the same as 2x cdr
Else it would take forever to burn a DVD-R (especially at 1x speed!)

already seen these drives on sale at the local computer fair washington uk

I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but the dvd 1x is approximately the same speed as cdr 8x. It’s not quite like compairing apples to apples but it’s somewhat similar. Even though dvd+rw claims to be compatible with newer settop players and dvdrom drives, dvd-rw is supposedly “more” compatible with older standalone players. My suggestion is to not take the manufacturer’s word that their burner is compatible but to dig deep into the specs of the drive(s) that it will be played upon and see for sure what the reading drive is capable of whatever modes. If you can’t find the answers that way, look at the instruction manual or open a box at the store to verify what it does and doesn’t do. Like the “new” dvd player I got for the tele at home, it said nothing on the box or online but it did say in the instructions that it could read dvd-rw. but it couldn’t do svcd :frowning:

:+ I already have this drive 4 a month now (i think i was one of the first in Belgium…:4 It does everything i want…burns like HELL ! :+