Pioneer model mix up

vbimport

just ordered a model 2209 costing £135 and that`s the cheapest i could find , for that model …

when it came , the box says 2209 … but the model of the player is 209ubk

and image burn reports it has 209m the same one i have now costing only £57 …

have I been done , this has been questioned by other people, but not properly explained

There seems to be some confusion due to the “labeling” used to describe the BD drive.

It is my understanding that the “drive” BDR-2209 is actually a retail box which contains the BD drive model BDR-209UBK, software and manual.

Refer to product overview and user reviews here. Also refer to product details here.

The most likely reason ImgBurn seems to report the BDR-209UBK drive as drive model . . 209m . . (or whatever else) is because ImgBurn hasn’t been updated since 2013 and is misreporting the correct drive model (for new model drives); ie ImgBurn drive database maybe out of date(?)

Try using HWiNFO to read drive model instead.

ImgBurn doesn’t use a database. It reports the drive string as reported from the drive.

The 209E, U, and M are all roughly the same drive, just for different markets: they’re all the BDR-209M.

The drive reports itself as a 209M thusly.

But! There are different features for some different builds of the different Pioneer drives. Your retail model may have extra features enabled via firmware that a barebones OEM BDR-209M might not have.

Oh, and yes, Pioneer’s retail boxes in the U.S. (and some other regions) don’t use the model number of the drive directly, but instead use an inventory number which still corresponds to one drive as well as the contents of the box.

So by getting the DVR-1810 a while back, you got a DVR-112 (whichever variant you were promised) and whatever software it came with back then.

Here, the BDR-2209 package includes a BDR-209M drive and whatever software. This is normal.

Check to see if the software on the included disc includes a Pioneer drive utility that can enable or disable a few features.

Or: when you open ImgBurn, for both drives, there should be a firmware version listen, as well as a kernel version right next to it. Tell us if the kernel versions match. For example, if the log line reads something like…

I 17:34:54 -> Drive 1 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.34-ID60 (L:) (RAID)
The firmware version is 1.34, and the kernel type is ID60. Tell us what the kernel version/kernel type is for each drive.

thanks for your reply , all i seem to get is

PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.30 (ATAPI)
Current Profile: N/A

this is wat it says for my 2209 drive

PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.34 (ATAPI)
Current Profile: N/A

this is wat it says for my cheaper 209 drive,
which i updated the firmware last week

09:41:19 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
09:41:19 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
09:41:19 Total Physical Memory: 16,753,456 KiB - Available: 13,049,384 KiB
09:41:19 Initialising SPTI…
09:41:19 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
09:41:19 -> Drive 1 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.30-ID60 (E:) (ATAPI) new 2209
09:41:19 -> Drive 2 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.34-ID60 (H:) (ATAPI) old 209
09:41:20 -> Drive 3 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-S09 1.34-ID43 (F:) (ATAPI) another drive I have

09:41:20 -> Drive 4 - Info: ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 (Q:) (SCSI)
09:41:20 Found 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM and 3 BD-RE XLs!

is there another way to get better info …

thank you

[QUOTE=meeshu;2785539]There seems to be some confusion due to the “labeling” used to describe the BD drive.

It is my understanding that the “drive” BDR-2209 is actually a retail box which contains the BD drive model BDR-209UBK, software and manual.

Refer to product overview and user reviews here. Also refer to product details here.

The most likely reason ImgBurn seems to report the BDR-209UBK drive as drive model . . 209m . . (or whatever else) is because ImgBurn hasn’t been updated since 2013 and is misreporting the correct drive model (for new model drives); ie ImgBurn drive database maybe out of date(?)

Try using HWiNFO to read drive model instead.[/QUOTE]

THANKS
I ran the hardware analysis program , both drives came up identical , apart from the serial numbers
… i could have flashed the wrong firmware on the cheaper 209 drive , just before the 2209 arrived just 3 hours later …

All you’ve left to do now is check the included software for the Pioneer Drive Utility it’s supposed to have, which enables you to use various features. If you can’t find it on the disc, download here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Computer/BDR-2209/Pioneer%20BDR-2209%20Windows%20Drive%20Utility.zip

I expect, since they both have the same kernel type/version (which is the best way to identify how similar the drives are!), they won’t be functionally different & the drive utility with work with both.

If it works with both drives & you don’t need the CyberLink disc burning & playback software, you don’t have a reason to keep the 2209 bundle.

[QUOTE=Albert;2785556]All you’ve left to do now is check the included software for the Pioneer Drive Utility it’s supposed to have, which enables you to use various features. If you can’t find it on the disc, download here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ephox/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Computer/BDR-2209/Pioneer%20BDR-2209%20Windows%20Drive%20Utility.zip

I expect, since they both have the same kernel type/version (which is the best way to identify how similar the drives are!), they won’t be functionally different & the drive utility with work with both.

If it works with both drives & you don’t need the CyberLink disc burning & playback software, you don’t have a reason to keep the 2209 bundle.[/QUOTE]

thanks
I have run the utility …
both drives are listed …
the first is the suppose to be 2209 firmware 30
and the second 209 with firmware 34

both show as 209M

THE CYBERLINK SOFTWARE IS USLESS TO ME
and will be going in the bin …
can`t understand what i am gaining from the expensive so called 2209 and the less than half price so called 209

thanks for everyones help , and as long as i have not been ripped off , I am satisfied … last thing I want is a row with the seller

You paid for the software. That’s all.

The drives are the same. Just different firmware versions at the moment. You can update from 1.30 to 1.34 and they’ll be exactly identical.

You haven’t been ripped off (you got the correct drive), though I do think the price difference is a LOT considering the extra money only goes toward software.

I don’t think the 2209 is officially sold in Europe, it’s the retail version for North America. Our retail drives are the BDR-209E & BDR-S09XLT (which I think come with a similar software bundle).

I have only ever seen the 2209 for sale (in the UK) at places like Amazon Marketplace - never from mainstream vendors.

This would explain the price difference - it’s an exotic import. (Although the same drive inside the box.)

In hardware terms BDR-2209, BDR-209EBK and BDR-209UBK are all 100% identical. All 3 ‘models’ identify as BDR-209M (ID60) once installed in a machine. All 3 ‘models’ use exactly the same hardware and exactly the same firmware, because all 3 use the same kernel: ID60. The only thing different is the model name written on the label. They are all exactly the same drive (both hardware, firmware, kernel and firmware feature wise) but sold under different names in different regions.

The only difference between these ‘models’ is that they might well come with different software bundles and/or slightly different looking retail packaging, but the drive inside the box is the same for all of them. BDR-2209 drives are typically sold in the US, while BDR-209EBK models are sold in Europe.

Basically your Drive 1 and Drive 2 are absolutely identical (both use the same ID60 kernel). OK, your new drive is not yet updated to the latest firmware, but you can use exactly the same 1.34 firmware file that you used to update your older drive (Drive 2) to update the new drive to the latest 1.34 firmware:

Drive 1 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.30-ID60 (E (ATAPI) new 2209
Drive 2 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.34-ID60 (H (ATAPI) old 209

Software bundle aside, there is no reason at all to pay a premium for a BDR-2209 drive over the much cheaper BDR-209EBK, and the bundled software is certainly not worth such a large cost premium either.

[QUOTE=cvs;2785643]In hardware terms BDR-2209, BDR-209EBK and BDR-209UBK are all 100% identical. All 3 ‘models’ identify as BDR-209M (ID60) once installed in a machine. All 3 ‘models’ use exactly the same hardware and exactly the same firmware, because all 3 use the same kernel: ID60. The only thing different is the model name written on the label. They are all exactly the same drive (both hardware, firmware, kernel and firmware feature wise) but sold under different names in different regions.

The only difference between these ‘models’ is that they might well come with different software bundles and/or slightly different looking retail packaging, but the drive inside the box is the same for all of them. BDR-2209 drives are typically sold in the US, while BDR-209EBK models are sold in Europe.

Basically your Drive 1 and Drive 2 are absolutely identical (both use the same ID60 kernel). OK, your new drive is not yet updated to the latest firmware, but you can use exactly the same 1.34 firmware file that you used to update your older drive (Drive 2) to update the new drive to the latest 1.34 firmware:

Drive 1 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.30-ID60 (E (ATAPI) new 2209
Drive 2 - Info: PIONEER BD-RW BDR-209M 1.34-ID60 (H (ATAPI) old 209

Software bundle aside, there is no reason at all to pay a premium for a BDR-2209 drive over the much cheaper BDR-209EBK, and the bundled software is certainly not worth such a large cost premium either.[/QUOTE]

Well that`s a complete explaination … what a waste of money …
but it well get used … thanks pal

Retail boxed is an expensive way to buy a drive, particularly more recent drives like Blu-Ray - the difference seems to be much less for the “commodity” DVD-RW drives