Pioneer Lied: Defective DVR-112D Drives Existed As Late As June 2007...Maybe Later

vbimport

So I recently came into possession of a new-looking DVR-112D PATA burner (not a single scratch on it, and almost not a speck of dust in the tray), which was clearly disclosed to me beforehand as having problems, but since the cost to me was essentially about $5.00 USD, I decided to acquire it out of curiosity and to test.

The drive came with stock 1.21 firmware and had a manufacture date of June 2007. Testing the drive out of the box, it burned and read DVDs just fine. Then I tried to burn a CD…

Not only could the drive not burn CDs, but it wouldn’t even load or recognize blank CD media, nor commercially pressed CDs.

I then flashed it to stock 1.24 firmware, using the official Pioneer flasher, and went through the tests again. Still handled DVDs fine, still no recognition of CDs. I concluded I had one of the classic Pioneer defective DVR-112Ds, which were not supposed to exist as late as June of 2007.

While the drive is out of warranty, past statements by Pioneer seemed to indicate that for drives that had this very specific problem, which amounted to a recall, they would repair or replace them, irrespective of warranty length. Of course, I doubt that is the case, since they are a corporation after all, but I may just harass them a little just to see what their tech support is like, before I have to use it for something important.

In any event, the original point I wanted to make is that Pioneer lied (big surprise…NOT!), and their entire production run of DVR-112Ds may have been defective.

That is all.

Give em hell negritude:clap:

I went through this same thing with my DVR-112. I RMA’d it back in March. I have still heard nor received nothing in return.

I have 5 DVR-112D’s… three of them cannot burn, read or even recognize CD media. Not a one falls into Pioneer’s range of affected serial numbers.

It didn’t/doesn’t affect me enough to kick up a fuss, but I’m not going to cry if you visit Pioneer HQ with a sniper rifle.

[QUOTE=tropic;2155509]…I’m not going to cry if you visit Pioneer HQ with a sniper rifle.[/QUOTE]

:bigsmile::clap::iagree::bow:

[quote=cantankerous;2154997]I went through this same thing with my DVR-112. I RMA’d it back in March. I have still heard nor received nothing in return.[/quote] Who did you send it back too? As I had one bad one and I sent it back to Pioneer and they replaced it with a new one in about a week, BTW both of mine work great both with CD’s and DVD’s

I sent it back to the retailer, NCIX. They told me however that at the time of me sending it in that the DVR-112 was outdated and has since been replaced with the DVR-215. They told me they would not give me a DVR-215 for the DVR-212 and that they would sent it off to Pioneer for them to decide. That was the last I heard or saw of the drive. I ended up replacing it out of my own pocket with the DVR-212 as I wanted SATA anyhow.