Pioneer lacks bitsetting and reading lead in/out?

vbimport

Hi, I am looking for a DVD burner, and heard Pioneers are really good. But I have read that Pioneer drives do not let you set the booktype to DVD-ROM (and even if you modify the firmware, it will always be enabled, you can’t choose to turn it on or off). How important is it to be able to set the booktype?

I also read that Pioneer drives can’t read lead-in or lead-out. I have no idea what that means. I saw someone saying that reading lead-in/out is a very useful feature. Why is that?

[quote=sl_dvd;2156264]Hi, I am looking for a DVD burner, and heard Pioneers are really good. But I have read that Pioneer drives do not let you set the booktype to DVD-ROM (and even if you modify the firmware, it will always be enabled, you can’t choose to turn it on or off). How important is it to be able to set the booktype?

I also read that Pioneer drives can’t read lead-in or lead-out. I have no idea what that means. I saw someone saying that reading lead-in/out is a very useful feature. Why is that?[/quote]

Yo sl_dvd-

I have owned many burners over the years and my Pioneer DVR-115D is the [B][I]BEST [/I][/B]I have ever owned-

What compelling need do you have that requires setting booktype to DVD-ROM-eh??

if you dont know what it is you dont need it.

pioneer drives are very good burners.

you can follow the Pioneer & MCSE Patching Guide below for information on how to set SL DVD+R Booktype, increase read speed and RPC1 patch.

I’m kinda tired, so sorry if I completely screw up this post. :slight_smile:

Booktype: setting a DVD+R’s booktype to DVD-ROM can make it more compatible with some (older) DVD players. I don’t see any downside to using a Pioneer firmware that always bitsets.

Lead-in / Lead-out: Here’s a pretty succint description.

Why look for a drive that can read the Lead-in and Lead-out sectors of an audio CD-R? Because most drives do not go straight to a point on a disc and start reading exactly there… they’ll start reading either a little early or a little later than the point they were shooting for. This is a drive’s read offset. If you’re ripping an audio CD, that means that you’re going to be missing some audio data from the very beginning or the very end of the disc unless you can tell the drive to read a portion of the Lead-in (for drives with a positive read offset) or into the Lead-out (for drives with a negative read offset).

Most recent Pioneer DVD-RW drives have a read offset of -48. That means they start reading a bit earlier than the point they’re aiming for on an audio CD. Fine. They have no problems getting the very first pieces of audio data, but they stop reading 48 samples before the audio data at the end of the disc runs out. That would be easy to fix if the drive could read into the Lead-out, but the Pioneer cannot do that. So there are 48 samples that you CANNOT get from that audio CD no matter how many different ways you rip it with the Pioneer.

A bit of perspective: we’re talking about 44100 samples per second on a Red Book standard compact disc… dropping the last 48 of those isn’t going to hurt, especially since most discs end with silence. A decent audio grabber like EAC can be set to insert silence for missing samples as well as shift the audio data to compensate for the read offset. So you end up with a 1:1 copy of the audio CD despite the Pioneer’s inability to read into the Lead-out.

Whew. Sorry about the novel. Anyway, I agree with the previous posts: Pioneer’s latest DVD-RW drives are solid CD burners and excellent DVD writers.

Have fun.

[QUOTE=tropic;2156326]I’m kinda tired, so sorry if I completely screw up this post. :slight_smile:

Booktype: setting a DVD+R’s booktype to DVD-ROM can make it more compatible with some (older) DVD players. [/QUOTE]
Plus R’s have always been problematic, hence the need for bitsetting. I too like My Pionner 115D and prefer -R (for SL discs), which Pioneers love.

[quote=troy512;2156312]if you dont know what it is you dont need it.

pioneer drives are very good burners.

you can follow the Pioneer & MCSE Patching Guide below for information on how to set SL DVD+R Booktype, increase read speed and RPC1 patch.[/quote]
I have the dvr-216D sata and it is a great drive. I have 3 LG drives that support book-type so I’m not concerned about it.