Pioneer DVR-S15J-BK

vbimport

Hello,

first of all - hello guys :slight_smile:

i am looking for a new high-value dvd-writer (mainly for dvd-ram backuping and stuff) and was searching a couple of days through the forums here.

i took a look on the Pioneer DVR-215 in local Shops first,but i could find now a Japanese Shop who could ship a DVR-S15J-BK to me (Germany)

I guess there are no experiences with this drive,right?

In considering of the Price (almost twice as much as the DVR-215) would this price difference be reasonable?

Thank you in Adance for your help!

Hardware wise, the DVR-S15J is exactly the same as the DVR-215 just with a different front bezel.

Firmware wise, the DVR-S15J supports Labelflash which the DVR-215 dosen’t.

I don’t know if the DVR-215 can be crossflashed to DVR-S15J yet, but you can be sure that it’s possible in the near future.

you really think its exactly the same “Model” just with a different/new bezel and labelflash? therefor double in price - umm great job pioneer :smiley:

that would be just insane - do you have any sources ?

[QUOTE=bloodwurst;1995482]you really think its exactly the same “Model” just with a different/new bezel and labelflash? therefor double in price - umm great job pioneer :smiley:

that would be just insane - do you have any sources ?[/QUOTE]

It is n/a outside Japan for a reason.
And the retail model/XL has its price, over.

roger that^^ - this bezel just looks damn tempting…

would u recommend a DVR-215/S15 especially for dvd-ram´s? this would be the main purpose

111, 112, 212, 115 or 215 - nearly same performance with DVD-RAM.
If you have 12x certified DVD-RAM media, get one of the latest burners.

im not 100% sure what media to choose - but im pretty sure i´ll take the best i can get

do you have any further notes or hints on the 215?

It’s a great burner, get it :wink:

There are some differences in sound dampening between the deluxe XL models and the regular ugly ones. I wouldn’t be surprised if the build quality was better on the deluxe ones as well. I wonder what shop he found that will ship internationally.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1995594]There are some differences in sound dampening between the deluxe XL models and the regular ugly ones. I wouldn’t be surprised if the build quality was better on the deluxe ones as well. I wonder what shop he found that will ship internationally.[/QUOTE]

This is correct, there are differences in the sound deadening in the premium drives.

Sadly we’ve had to withdraw them from the Australian market with the A15XL being the first drive not offered here, but they just don’t sell well enough for us to keep them going.

im not sure if it´s okay to post a link to a shop?

without the adressed differences, such a huge price increase wouldn´t make much sense to me (besides the limited availability in Japan only and its better look)

i have no answer in terms of exactly shipping coasts or the current shipping company - but i´ll give you an update if you want

i forgot to add something: if i use tools to embank the noise of the drive,will this result in significant write/read-speed differences?

I can’t see there being any problem linking to the shop as other people post links to other shops.

The price should be of 2x 115 drives. Even amazon.jp has it listed, but from their rules they wont ship that product internationally… :frowning:

the price of the S15J is around 65€ (i guess that would be about 85$)

thats 2x215 here in local Shops

here´s the link to the shop: http://www.users-side.co.jp/2/shopping/syouhin_page_sc.php?sk=1&str=S15J&lg=1

Do they really ship internationally?

i asked him per email and he told me thats possible to ship it via an Japanese Shipping Company called “EMS” but its not that cheap.

the good thing is the shop owner will visit my country with his wife and will ship it then from a local Post office. :slight_smile:

are there any further hints or additions on this particular drive?

e: in terms of noise - are there any significant speed differences when i quiet this drive down?

thanks for your help

gently push

bad news :frowning:

i got mail from the shop owner - the shipping price via DHL from Japan to Germany would be more then 17,000 Yen,have in mind that the S15J-BK is around 11,000 Yen …

dammit!

[QUOTE=Brad-Pioneer;1995645]This is correct, there are differences in the sound deadening in the premium drives.

Sadly we’ve had to withdraw them from the Australian market with the A15XL being the first drive not offered here, but they just don’t sell well enough for us to keep them going.[/QUOTE]

Hi Brad,

the median price of a DVD writer has dropped to the point where a premium/retail version is a viable choice, and is worth paying for. Indeed, I have already bought two DVR-A12XL drives — and this from someone who only bought OEM. Had the A15/S15 been sold here, I would’ve snapped them up, too. I’m more than happy to pay the extra for the looks, quieter performance and better build — it’s more than a pretty bezel! In an informal conversation with a few friends [who take my advice on PC-related matters], they expressed similar sentiments.

Is it possible to stock small quantities of the A15/S15 that can then be sold direct from pioneer.com.au? If so, I call first dibs :iagree:

If you can pass this on to the relevant folks [or action it yourself!], send me the first drives :bigsmile: