Pioneer DVR-K17

I just recently bought a Pioneer DVR-K17. It didn’t come with any kind of software and I’m tryin to install it on my Toshiba Laptop. I can’t seem to find anything for it ANYWHERE. I’ve searched for firmware, drivers, and software. Can someone please help me. I want to utilize my new purchase and all it has to offer.

Hi :slight_smile:

You don’t need any special driver or software with an optical drive, unless you run a very old operating system. The only software you need is a burning software that supports DVDR burning, like Nero (> 6), IMGburn… such softwares will support any DVDR burner and don’t nee any dedicated driver either.

Firmware: if you can’t find a firmware upgrade for the drive, it’s most probably because there is no one yet. :wink:

Please read the forum rules: double posting is forbidden. :cop:

I have a Toshiba Satellite A55-S1063 on an XP OS. I bought the Pioneer DVR-K17 a few days ago, went to install it and nothing happened. My laptop doesn’t even recognize it being installed. I put the old one back in just to see what happens and restarted the computer. It picked up on the old one with no problem. When I do start up my computer before Windows even loads I get an error message stating, " IDE#1 Error "

[QUOTE=DSGB1202;1919158]IIt picked up on the old one with no problem. When I do start up my computer before Windows even loads I get an error message stating, " IDE#1 Error "[/QUOTE]So maybe, simply, your BIOS is set to use the original drive and is not set to automatic detection. It’s expecting to see the old drive and doesn’t find it, so it prevents access to the IDE device. If so, any new device connected will fail. So check your BIOS settings before tearing your hair off… :wink:

Thank you so much, but how do I go about checking the BIOS to do so?

@ DSGB1202,

Unfortunately there are numerous MotherBoard Manufactures and there is no uniform KeyBoard command to access the MotherBoard BIOS but usually you can access the MotherBoard BIOS by pressing the DEL key on your KeyBoard immediately as your system begins to boot.

The below Web Link provides additional KeyBoards commands to access MotherBoard BIOS ->

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Regards,
bjkg

What exactly am I looking for in Bios. I wasn’t able to change anything as far as the CD/DVD was concerned.

[QUOTE=DSGB1202;1921987]What exactly am I looking for in Bios. [/quote]That’s the problem: we can’t tell exactly what you’re looking for because we don’t know your BIOS. It should be an option for IDE devices detection, that would be something like “auto” or “manual”, that needs to be put to “auto”.

I wasn’t able to change anything as far as the CD/DVD was concerned.
It’s not specifically something with CD/DVD you would have to change, its general detection of IDE devices. Though sometimes, these settings can be changed for each IDE channel (primary master, primary slave, secondary master, secondary slave).

I think you should ask for support directly from your laptop vendor. :slight_smile: As an alternative, you could ask someone who knows his (her) stuff pretty well in PC hardware & configuration, to parse your BIOS settings and see what would be needed to do.

Without having your laptop directly in front of me, I can’t help further. :frowning:

And don’t forget, it was only 1 idea. It’s still possible that your K-17 drive is actually defective. But without trying it in another machine, or first trying to re-enable auto detection in the BIOS if it’s been disabled, you can’t know for sure.

EDIT Oh, basic question, have you actually checked if you were connecting the drive as master or slave, and set the jumper on the drive accordingly? :slight_smile:

That’s the thing. When I check my BIOS it doesn’t give me any options to do anything with the CD/DVD. To change anything or even state whether or not it’s in Master or Slave.

@ DSGB1202

Perhaps it would advantageous if you provided detailed specific concerning your undisclosed MotherBoard and IDE configuration details.

In short provide the Manufacture/Specific Model Number/BIOS Number of your MotherBoard and detailed specific IDE configuration. Until you provide this specific information you are wasting your time and Forum Members time attempting to guess as to what is going on.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=DSGB1202;1922366]When I check my BIOS it doesn’t give me any options [B]to do anything with the CD/DVD[/B]. [/QUOTE]This sounds like you haven’t been reading my previous post… :rolleyes:

To change anything or even state whether or not it’s in Master or Slave.
So have you at least tried both jumper settings on the drive? Also, you have replaced the original optical drive with the Pioneer, right? So just check the jumper position on the original drive that you took out the machine…

If there was no optical drive in your laptop to start with, probably it’s way too old to cope with one.

[B]bjkg [/B]is also kinda right, you know, you haven’t even provided the model of your Toshiba laptop… don’t get it the wrong way, but you’re not helping us helping you :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;1922480]So have you at least tried both jumper settings on the drive? Also, you have replaced the original optical drive with the Pioneer, right? So just check the jumper position on the original drive that you took out the machine…
[/QUOTE]
What makes you think the K17 has Master/Slave jumpers ? Usually laptop drives have no jumpers at all, so you are lost when the drives factory setting for Master/Slave/Calble Select does not match what your laptop needs.

To quote a shop selling a K17:

IMPORTANT INFO

These drives come set as CABLE SELECT, please check your laptop/Notebook supports this method of IDE recognition.
Many models of laptop (such as many Toshiba models) only support Master/Slave recognition.
Please check with your hardware manufacturer for compatability before purchasing as drives will not be exchanged after being inserted in laptops/notebooks due to scratching of drive sides and therefore rendering the drive “second hand”

I’m sorry. :slight_smile:

If you are good with a soldering iron have a look here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/looking-inverted-csel-firmware-plextor-px-608al-199145/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/those-considering-soldering-pins-45-47-a-179479/

I have a Toshiba Sat. A55 S1063 I’ll have to look up the version of the BIOS and its settings.

I actually did state the model of my laptop, but I'll get back to you on the Version of the BIOS, Motherboard and what not.