Pioneer DVR-K15 slimline

Hi everyone:

I’m helping someone with an old Compaq laptop which has a Pioneer DVR-K15 drive. The firmware version is 1.11, if I recall correctly.

First, is there a newer version of firmware for that drive? I know it’s really old, but I thought there might have been compatibility added for more disc models or performance improvements or similar.

Second, is there a media compatibility list anywhere for that model drive anywhere?

Thanks in advacne.

This model can be an OEM-drive and is not directly supported by Pioneer. If you know the laptop-model you cann look at HP/Compaq-page if there is an update

Thanks, but it’s way too old (2005) a laptop for Compaq to support it.

If the firmware is 1.11, then this firmware might work straight away: DVRK15_FW117EUJ.EXE (949.0 KB)

Sorry, I don’t have the media list for it or for the 1.11 version, but the above should be the latest available firmware for this drive and is bound to contain better media support compared to 1.11.

Alternatively, if the above updater doesn’t work (which would indicate a kernel mismatch), then there’s always DVRTool - Pioneer DVR/BDR firmware flashing utility (v1.02) which would allow you to force flash / crossflash since the above file contains both the main firmware and the kernel (which you can easily extract with WinRar or similar from the above exe file), but do your research first and backup both your firmware and kernel as well before attempting any flash/crossflash.

Thanks so much for that. Very helpful! I’m quite experienced with PCs, but I’ve very rarely had to flash optical firmware before. Other than a failed flash process, is there much that can go wrong? Is the software fairly intuitive in helping me make a backup of the current firmware?

In terms of trying the official 1.17 flasher, either it will work just fine or it won’t work at all (i.e. will throw an error message and exit). There’s no risk in trying it really.

Regarding DVRTool, yes, it is quite straightforward (have a look at the readme file once you downloaded DVRTool).

Basically, assuming that your optical drive is drive D: (if it is not, just substitute the correct drive letter instead), you can easily find all the details about your drive, including what the kernel is by running this command:

DVRTool -i D:

If you want to dump the firmware and the kernel you need to run these two commands:

DVRTool -df D:
DVRTool -dk D:

You can download the latest DVRTools 1.02 from here: https://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f29/dvrtool-v1-0-firmware-flashing-utility-pioneer-dvr-bdr-drives-95262/#post1346128.

All of the above commands are risk free (i.e. you only read information from the drive, nothing is written).

If the official 1.17 flasher doesn’t work and you like to crossflash, I can provide the correct command line as well if you like.

cvs:

Thanks very much, that is very helpful indeed. It may be a while, but I’ll post back with my results after I tried those things.

Hmmm…this is a little more complicated than you’d told me.

First, DVRTool 1.02 threw an error when just trying to dump the kernel. The error said the drive doesn’t support dumping firmware.

Then, when I tried to update the kernel and firmware, I noticed that the .exe you suggested unpacks with two almost indentical filenames.

Which file is the kernel? I assume it’s the smaller one?

When I tried to flash the smaller one, I got this:

DVRTool v1.02

Firmware flashing utility for Pioneer DVR/BDR drives
by Blackened2687

build date: Jan 1 2016 / 17:04:11

Device: \.\D:

Drive Information:

Model Name : PIONEER DVDRW   DVR-K15

Firmware Rev : 1.11
Extra Info : 05/04/18 PIONEER

Additional Drive Information:

Hardware Rev : ATA 0064
Kernel Type : HP
Firmware Type : HP
Kernel Version : 0004

Drive is in normal mode.

File #1: Hardware or kernel type mismatch.

What next? Did I use the wrong file? Should I try to flash with the larger file? Which one is the kernel? I assume I have to flash the kernel file first?

For future, it would be nice if there were a full HOWTO for this.

That being said, I don’t mean to sound ungrateful. I’m very very thankful for your help.

Anyone still out there? I could really use some help.