Pioneer DVR-A08/108 on sale, 4x DVD+R DL and 16x DVD+R SL

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040731/etc_dvra08.html

Use some translation software if that works for you. I like to use some South Korean software to translate Japanese pages to Korean though I usually just look at the pictures and then some words like “DVR-108” and “DVM-RD16FB” that do not require any degree of Japanese knowledge. :slight_smile:

More links related to DVR-A08/108.

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release451-j.html

Buffalo

http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/products/catalog/item/d/dvm-rd16fb/
http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/products/catalog/item/d/dvm-rd16u2/

IO DATA

http://www.iodata.jp/prod/storage/dvd/2004/dvr-abp16w/

Akiba Hotline news on July 17

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040717/etc_a08pre.html

english translation

The information which is published here is information as of of announcement day.
Because there is a possibility at the point in time when it has become viewing contents becoming modification, please acknowledge beforehand.

Information road resources charge 2004 July 13th

Pioneer corporation

“High speed” “high quality & high reliability” “quiet sound” simultaneously actualization
Built-in type DVD of ATAPI connection for Windows personal computer/CD lighter/writer new sale

• Worldwide beginning* 1DVD ± R 16 time stenography record
  • Worldwide beginning* 1DVD + R DL (Double Layer) 4 time stenography record

DVR-A08-J

DVR-A08-J-BK DVR-A08-J-SV

Product name Type turn Price Sale
Due date Monthly output
Schedule quantity
DVD/CD lighter/writer DVR - A08 - J(pure white) Opening Late July 10 and 000 units
DVR - A08 - J - BK (black) 8 and 000 units
DVR - A08 - J - SV(silver) 8 and 000 units

• As of July 13th of 12004. DVD - in R and DVD + R DL.

< Plan intention >

The pioneer corporation, this time, built-in type new sells the DVD of ATAPI connection for the Windows personal computer/CD lighter/writer “DVR - A08 - J” series. This series the worldwide beginning* 16time stenography record function of 1 DVD ± R media* 2and DVD + R DL (Double Layer) 2 layer media (below DVD + R DL) 4 time stenography record function* has loaded3, further high-speed record was actualized.
In addition, with the quiet sound design which it is thorough, besides the fact that in spite even in high-speed record offensive treble noise at the time of disk turning at full speed was reduced substantially, high record quality and reliability are actualized by the fact that various individual technologies are loaded.

• 2 As for DVD ± R 16 time stenography record, please use 8 time fast corresponding media of DVD ± of this corporation correspondence being completed R. Furthermore, it is not something which entry of 16 time speed preservation is proven in all environment.
  • 3 As for DVD + R DL 4 time stenography record, please use 2.4 time fast corresponding media of DVD + of this corporation correspondence being completed R DL. Furthermore, it is not something which entry of 4 time speed preservation is proven in all environment.

< Main merit >

1. Worldwide beginninghigh-speed record of 1 DVD ± R 16 time speed actualization 2

16 time stenography record function of the DVD ± R media was loaded. As for this high time stenography record function, while driving you say that record ストラテジ is set in compliance with the optimum record condition every of media which has been remembered it is the function which is actualized with the technology this corporation to build so far. In addition, DVD ± RW4 time speed* 4, CD - R32 time speed* 4, CD - RW24 time speed*record is possible with 4. Adjusting to data size and use, it can use properly the record media.
In addition, adjusting to the state of the media, optimum recording rate it loaded also the function which drive sets automatically.

• Please use the media which corresponds to 4 each time speeds.
  1. The worldwide beginning* high-speedrecord of 1 DVD + R DL 4 time speed* actualizing3

4 time stenography record function of the DVD + R DL media was loaded. When record capacity records the data of full capacity to the DVD + R DL media of 8. 5G bytes, with 2.4 time speed approximately 45 minutes the place where it is required, with 4 time speed it is possible to record in approximately 25 minutes. It is possible, to record such as animated picture and backup of the hard disk the bulk data at brief. In addition, 2 layer record of high quality was actualized liquid crystal tilt feature (liquid crystal aberration revision mechanism) and the like with individual optical technology.

1. It corresponds to the playback of all DVD record media

DVD ± R, DVD ± RW and DVD - RAM * playback of 5 is possible in addition to the playback of DVD +R DL whichis standardized anew. Exchanging the data between the user becomes easy, can utilize the playback compatibility of DVD sufficiently.

• Without 5 cartridges DVD - RAM Version 2.0 - only 2.1 correspondence.
  1. Adjusting to the color of the personal computer, itself the color variation of 3 colors which it can choose

"DVR - A07 - you adopt popular stylish front panel design with J, "lining up pure white, black and 3 colors of the silver. You can choose the color which is agreeable to the personal computer itself. In addition, size because with 5.25 inch 1 bay, it corresponds to also vertical ranging in addition to horizontal ranging, is loading possible even to the personal computer of slim type,* 6.

• In regard to verification please use the form of the installation mouth of 6 personal computers.
  1. In addition function

Record quality and the various individual technologies which improve reliability

“Liquid crystal tilt feature (liquid crystal aberration revision mechanism)”
“Smart laser driver technology”
“UltraDRA (Dynamic Resonance Absorber)”
“Buffer under run prevention function”
“Precision recording technology (Precision Recording Technology)”
With individual technology high-speed record and quiet sound conversion simultaneously actualization

In addition to individual honeycomb structural adoption, the quiet sound design which it is thorough e.g., the dustproof soundproof pad is added inside the frame.
It controls the rotary speedof the diskautomatically with "the advanced quiet sound firmware * 7 ", according to use, driving the disk at minimum requirement rotary speed. Operational sound at the time of record playback is held down to minimum.
With application software “advanced quiet sound utility”, setting of the highest reading speed every of media is possible. It can pull out necessary performance to the maximum.

• In the midst of 7 patent applications.
    The colorful software and the guidebook for simplicity compilation which respond to use (PDF) attachment.

< Attachment software >

MyDVD (sonic ソルーションズ corporation make)
From DV capturing it is the personal authoring software which has all functions to the writing out to DVD. Dolby Digital (AC - 3) with video recording of long haul is possible in audio record and high picture quality. In addition, with VR import function, it compiles the disk which was videotaped with the DVD recorder, it is possible to draw up the library simply.

RecordNow (sonic ソルーションズ corporation make)
From the beginner to the power user it is DVD/CD which the lighting software you can enjoy. With the lighting software of the integrated type which includes “the quick format” and data logging function which supported “multiple border”, it is optimum to data backup and little distribution disk compilation.

DLA (sonic ソルーションズ corporation make)
The packet light/write software which supports the popular “quick format and” with drag and drop, actualizes easily the write-operation of floppy feeling. Complicated interface does not exist, at the drive letter access with drag and drop it is possible to access the file quickly.

Simple Backup (sonic ソルーションズ corporation make)
Do the difficult backup job simply, the software which can back up also the important data and the system data.

CinePlayer (sonic ソルーションズ corporation make)
DVD of marketing - as for Video the original DVD which was drawn up of course with the individual - the DVD - Video playback software which corresponds to also Video. Other than movie playback, also the disk which was videotaped with VR mode of the DVD recorder is reproducible with video desktop function the desktop as a screen.

It can make now! DVD (monthly ASCII editorial staff production)
The guidebook which to be understood easily explains usage of the attachment software (inside bundled CD - ROM recording) is with the PDF file. Because to be understood you have explained easily method of using the software according to purpose, the person who is used the DVD lighter/writer for the first time feeling at rest, you can use the software.

Quiet sound utility (pioneer make)
It is the software in order furthermore to utilize the merit of the “advanced quiet sound firmware”. Seriously considering the speed of reading, it starts reading with high revolution “performance mode”, from seriously considering quiet sound, reading it starts “quiet sound mode” (when shipping setting), or it does not change rpm low automatically with revolution, it is possible to set “standard mode” (until recently the same operation as the machine), according to use.

• Product name, and the system name which are stated in this data are trade mark or registered trade mark of each company.

< Main specification >

Corresponding disk Entry DVD - R for General Version 2.0
/ 4x - Speed DVD - R Revision 1.0 (for Video and for Data)
/ 6x - Speed DVD - R Revision 2.0 (for Video and for Data)
/ 8x - Speed DVD - R Revision 3.0 (for Video and for Data)

DVD - RW Version 1.1
/ 2x - Speed DVD - RW Revision 1.0 (for Video and for Data)

DVD - RW Version 1.2
/ 2x - Speed DVD - RW Revision 1.0 (for Video and for Data)
/ 4x - Speed DVD - RW Revision 2.0 (for Video and for Data)

DVD + R Version 1.2
DVD + RW Version 1.2
DVD + R DL Version 1.0
CD - R and CD - RW and HighSpeed CD - RW and UltraSpeed CD - RW
Reading DVD - ROM/DVD - Video (1 layer and 2 layer)
DVD - R (for Video, for Data and for Authoring)
DVD - RW (for Video and for Data)
DVD + R
DVD + RW
DVD + R DL
DVD - RAM Version 2.0 & 2.1 (the cartridge only it is not correspondence)
CD - ROM/Audio CD
CD - R
CD - RW and HighSpeed CD - RW and UltraSpeed CD - RW
Loading system Electromotive tray system
Continual data rate When recording: * 8 DVD - R 16 time speed (ZoneCLV) 12 time speed (ZoneCLV)
8 time speed (ZoneCLV) 6 time fast 4 time fast 2 time fast 1 time speed
DVD - RW 4 time fast 2 time fast 1 time speed
DVD + R 16 time speed (ZoneCLV) 12 time speed (ZoneCLV)
8 time speed (ZoneCLV) 6 time fast 4 time fast 2.4 time speed
DVD + RW 4 time fast 2.4 time speed
DVD + R DL 4 time fast 2.4 time speed
CD - R 32 time speed (ZoneCLV) 24 time speed (ZoneCLV)
16 time fast 10 time fast 4 time speed
CD - RW 24 time speed (ZoneCLV) * 920 time speed (ZoneCLV) * 9
16 time speed * 910 time speed * 104 time speed

• Please use the media which corresponds to 8 each time speeds.
  • It is time of 9 UltraSpeed CD - RW disk use.
  • It is time of 10 HighSpeed CD - RW disk use.
    When playing back DVD - ROM/DVD - Video (1 layer disk)
    At the time of quiet sound mode use: The maximum of 5 time speed
    At the time of performance mode use: The maximum of 16 time speed
    DVD - ROM/DVD - Video (2 layer disk)
    At the time of quiet sound mode use: The maximum of 5 time speed
    At the time of performance mode use: The maximum of 12 time speed
    DVD - R The maximum of 12 time speed
    DVD - RW The maximum of 8 time speed
    DVD + R The maximum of 12 time speed
    DVD + RW The maximum of 8 time speed
    DVD + R DL The maximum of 8 time speed
    DVD - RAM 2 time speed (Z one CLV)
    CD - ROM/Audio CD (Data extraction)
    At the time of quiet sound mode use the maximum of 9.3 time speed
    At the time of performance mode use the maximum of 40 time speed
    Video CD The maximum of 9.3 time speed
    CD - R The maximum of 40 time speed
    CD - RW The maximum of 32 time speed
    デ - タバッファー capacity 2MB
    Interface ATAPI (PIO Mode4/Multi Word DMA Mode2/Ultra DMA Mode 4)
    External size 148 (W) × 42.3 (H) × 198 (D) mm
    Base machine mass 1. 1kg

< Hardware requirement >

Correspondence OS Windows XP * 11, Windows 2000 * 12

• Before connecting 11 knitting machines, please install “after Windows XP ServicePack1”.
  • Before connecting 12 knitting machines, please install “after Windows 2000 ServicePack3”.
    CPU Recommending above Pentium III 800MHz
    Memory Above 256MB
    Hard disk being less crowded capacity Recommendation above 10GB
    Sound card 16 bits or more
    Monitor resolution Recommending the 1024x768 32 bit color
    Installation attitude Horizontal ranging vertical ranging
    Equipment The video input equipment (the video deck and cam coda etc.) and other way please prepare キャプチャカード.

< Accessory >

Application software CD - ROM 1, attaching screw 4, jumper pin 2, guarantee, instruction manual, tray panel for exchanging

• This product is the equipment for national welfare, treatment for business is outside the guarantee object.

used www.systranbox.com for translation

[ INDEX ]
:slight_smile:

Pioneer changed writing strategy now right, so that 16x really does burn faster than plextor/pioneer 12x?

Not as far as I know…

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

I thought previously vBulletin didn’t support Asian langauges at all. Does it now? It seems Japanese characters look alright to me here.

Here is an English link to the new writers:
http://www.pioneer.co.jp/press/release141.html

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040731/ni_i_dd.html

http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/products/catalog/item/d/dvm-rd16fb

PC-Success is selling DVR-A08 OEM for 14,980 Yen which is about 20% lower than the previous known price. Though it’s OEM, Buffalo provides 1-year warranty on all their drives which is usually very, very nice in Japan.

esbuy has it for 129$ free shipping
http://www.esbuy.com/pioneerdvr1081.html

jr for 179$+shipping
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3994189

Perhaps Pioneer DVR-A08 is the slowest and the most expensive 16x DVD writers.

two different drives the one on top is a 108 the one on bottom is a A08XL though i think the internals are the same. :wink:

but 4x dvd-dl wouldnt be bad if it wernt for the no bitsetting. :Z

Newbie question.

Hello All.

I’m thinking of purchasing the 108 for use with my ThinkPad T40. Is there an external model with USB 2.0 connectivity? Or… can I purchase the internal module and then get a casing which has a converter to USB2.0.

Thanks!!!

youll never burn at 16x with a usb 2.0 they are just too slow. depending on the interface (liteons use udma 4) you may be able to get a good oxford chipset external enclosure and burn at 16x with firewire.

Does anyone know when Newegg will be carrying this?

I frequently use external enclosures for DVD/CD writers and external hard drives with laptops. The nice thing about the laptops that I own is that they have firewire built in, even the ones with only USB 1.1. I have to agree with Jamos as I doubt as to USB2’s ability to sustain the data rates required for DVD writing at 16X. For 8X DVD drives it seems to work alright, but even at this rate shows more problems than firewire stabilizing when the DVD drive switch speed from 4X to 6X to 8X. It transitions satisfactorily, but rings longer compared to the firewire connection. The firewire connection is stable and the USB2 connection is more erratic. Since you are purchasing a laptop you should definitely get a combo USB2-firewire, or just firewire external box. Another thing to consider is that the hard drives on laptops are usually 5200 rpm or less, so you may have another performance problem there. When I tested the laptop hard drive throughput using a simulation, it gave a output slightly exceeding 16X, good enough for 12X but it probably wouldn’t make 16X . A drive defragging might fix that, or it might not. Then again you can use another enclosure for an external hard drive.
Cheers.

Buy an IEEE 1394b + SATA + USB 2.0 case for maximum compatibility and speed but I have only seen IEEE 1394b + SATA or IEEE 1394b + USB 2.0.

I have been looking for a IEEE 1394B + SATA external enclosure, but have only seen IEEE 1394B + USB 2.0. I am using IEEE 1394A + USB 2.0 as I recommended above, but they are about $45 US each, that’s quite an additional price for a $75-$85 US 8X DVD writer. I just made one for a friend and left out the 1394A, even though it was on their laptop, as I found some USB 2.0 only enclosures (BYTECC ME-320U2) for $25 US. I have tested it thourgly (for 8X) and even though its not as good as the 1394A, it’s good enough. The 1394A will probably work for 16X drives since I’ve written from an external hard drive to two 8X writers, which were not in sync, at the same time with no problems. They were all on the same chain too. That IEEE 1394b + SATA + USB 2.0 enclosure is going to really be expensive.

Right, because the manufacturers will want 2-3x premium. The real cost cannot be over US$20 at the most, but the selling price will be more like US$200.

Pioneer retail DVR-A08 also on sale in Japan now.

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba/hotline/20040731/ni_i_dd.html

But Buffalo version is still much cheaper.

im getting my dvr-108 today…rubs hands togehter…

DVR 108 bulk (nude and without software) must be in France tuesday 10/08.
I saw pre-order at 119 and 139E.
The question for me is its real speed.
Pioneer France announce a DVD 4.7 burnt in 4.5 minute in 16X (-R and +R !!).
In other place (japanese sites) we discover that speed in 16X is only… 7mn21!!!
So burning in 16X would be slower than in 12X…
We ld like to learn fast what is real speed when you burn a -R disk because we most of time buy Pioneer because home DVD player use more easy -R disk than +R.
Jamos if you can give us answer it s welcome :slight_smile: