Pioneer DVR-220BK or Samsung SH224BB/RSMS

vbimport

Hey there,

In continuation to my thread http://club.myce.com/f86/substitute-dual-layer-burner-optiarc-ad-7200s-331654/ I’ve narrowed down my search for a Dual Layer burner to these two models and I just can’t pick between them.

There isn’t much price difference between the two models where I’m buying from, they are both £14 pounds / $21 dollars. I have checked some places and I don’t know if they are accurate but one isn’t much newer than the other both released about October (Samsung) / November (Pioneer) time.

I’d appreciate it if you could help suggest which one is the better model to go for, thanks everyone!

Any more suggestions please? I’m kind of leaning towards the Pioneer drive atm.

Any idea what the release date is for these two drives?

I’m checking the Pioneer DVR-220BK on Ebay and they are saying June 2004 (which is quite old if correct) and at store.digitaldomain.ie the Samsung is listed as October 2012 and Pioneer November 2012. Also, digispot.co.uk has the Samsung down as June 2012.

Not much interest has been taken in either drive…nor has there been much interest in DVDRW drives from either manufacturer for some time now.

Going just from past brand experience, I think folks would recommend the Pioneer over the Samsung, though the Pioneer is a rebadged drive from another manufacturer (though, effectively, it is its own drive, since the OEM manufacturer doesn’t typically release its drives on the retail channel). Even with Pioneer’s DVDRW drives not being of its own design, the drives have still been quite decent.

Samsung’s efforts in-house haven’t always been great, but it appears that the SH-224BB might be decent. Decent, not great.

Most people push for the Optiarc AD-7280S drives these days rather than a drive with a MediaTek chipset, or if they do go MediaTek, they go LiteOn (or Plextor or HP).

But between the Pioneer and Samsung, I’d go Pioneer.

[Also, an opinion on release dates: it’s hard to pin those down. A drive may be released in Asia before Europe before the Americas…but it’s not given that we can track down the first of the release dates. I believe they are both 2012 drives, likely 2nd quarter releases.]

[QUOTE=Albert;2679231]Not much interest has been taken in either drive…nor has there been much interest in DVDRW drives from either manufacturer for some time now.

Going just from past brand experience, I think folks would recommend the Pioneer over the Samsung, though the Pioneer is a rebadged drive from another manufacturer (though, effectively, it is its own drive, since the OEM manufacturer doesn’t typically release its drives on the retail channel). Even with Pioneer’s DVDRW drives not being of its own design, the drives have still been quite decent.

Samsung’s efforts in-house haven’t always been great, but it appears that the SH-224BB might be decent. Decent, not great.

Most people push for the Optiarc AD-7280S drives these days rather than a drive with a MediaTek chipset, or if they do go MediaTek, they go LiteOn (or Plextor or HP).

But between the Pioneer and Samsung, I’d go Pioneer.

[Also, an opinion on release dates: it’s hard to pin those down. A drive may be released in Asia before Europe before the Americas…but it’s not given that we can track down the first of the release dates. I believe they are both 2012 drives, likely 2nd quarter releases.][/QUOTE]

Cheers for your input Albert, appreciate it mate!

I had Pioneers 218 and 219 as well as Samsung 224 drives, but they just weren’t too exciting. The Pioneer 220 is more of an update to the 219 due to newer chipset. Like Albert said, they’re “decent.” The 220 has been available in Asia since mid- to late-last year.

I’ve sold the Pioneer 218/219 and Samsung 224 since they simply weren’t “keepers.”

If I had two choices for current drives, I’d opt for the Optiarc AD-7280S and LiteOn iHASx24 D drives.