Pioneer DVR-217L felt into the "quiet mode"

vbimport

Not long ago my Pioneer DVR-217L suddenly felt into the quiet mode - it happened when I’ve disconnected and connected again the drive (very weird!) - now it reads DVD on maximum 8x and CD on maximum 24x speed, but still perfectly burns DVDs on 20x speed with good quality just like before and also burns CDs on 40x speed.

I want performance mode back. I’ve tried to upgrade and downgrade the firmware, but situation is all the same. Burst rate of the drive is about 53 Mbps, by the way. I’ve got Pioneer Drive Utility 1.14 which can change the quiet mode settings, but it doesn’t see my DVR-217, it sees only DVR-116 and DVR-216 series drives.

Any ideas what could I try? I wanted to try dangerous crossflashing into semibricked DVR-216, then change the settings, and then flash it again into DVR-217L, should I try it? I don’t know if semibricked DVR-216 can be crossflashed into DVR-217 again (perhaps with opened tray), just like crossflashing semibricked DVR-217 into DVR-216 again. :eek:

Anyone tried to crossflash DVR-217 -> DVR-216 -> DVR-217?

I can’t answer your question, but I can give my opinion: Unless someone specifically says it works, don’t even try to crossflash. There’s no guarantee you will be able to get the drive to respond to the commands necessary to switch between kernels, and there is also no guarantee that the firmwares interpret/change quiet mode in the same way (by modifying the same values located in the drive’s non-volatile memory).

Okay, I’ll think…

I can’t understand why the drive felt into the quiet mode. And can’t find the info is there a native method for changing this mode in 117/217 series drives. But… If the drive now uses 8x/24x read speeds for DVD and CD, then definitely there is the “quiet mode” for it. And should be special commands for changing it. Hmmm…

[B]Who told you that would have to do with the firmware??[/B]
By crossflashing to an L firmware you should know that this setting is bound to the additional software for these L drives…

[QUOTE=chef;2693560][B]Who told you that would have to do with the firmware??[/B]
By crossflashing to an L firmware you should know that this setting is bound to the additional software for these L drives…[/QUOTE]

The drive came as an L drive, chef. Read through the original post again. :wink:

chef, my drive is originally DVR-217L (w/ DVD-RAM and Labelflash support) - I wanted to crossflash it into 216 to try to make Pioneer Drive Utility 1.14 recognize this drive. I’m unfortunately have very limited knowledge of IDA and ASM and can’t neither reverse the utility and add the code to make the utility recognize 117/217 series drives, nor extract the commands necessary to enable and disable drive settings.

Sorry then, pal.

But WHY do you want to crossflash [B]an 217 into 216[/B]? Or was that an typo??

chef, Pioneer Drive Utility 1.14 doesn’t recognize 117/217 series drives, but recognizes 116/216 series drives. My suggestion is that these drives use compatible sata commands for changing the internal drive settings, 'cause the entire board is almost the same.

Have you compared their boards? I believe the soc/main chips are different.

It’s a shame that there is no real support for DVR-x17 and above yet…

Is fw 1.10 on your 217L?

chef, boards are almost the same, there are few differences in some smd components IIRC. Main chips are the same. Yes, my drive’s FW version is 1.10.

Well, I’ve tried the crossflashing 217 -> 216 with tray open. It worked and the drive became DVR-216L which can’t recognize discs. Pioneer Drive Utility 1.14 have found the drive and even recognized the quiet mode with read speeds limited to 8x and 24x, I’ve changed the settings, applied them and re-checked that my new settings were applied. I’ve tried to crossflash the drive back to 217 (with tray open), it worked again, but… The drive IS STILL IN THIS QUIET MODE. :headdesk: :sad: It reads CD and DVD with 24x CAV and 8x CAV. And nicely burns DVDs on 20x.

I need to eat some borscht and drink 10 bottles of vodka with my bear. :rolleyes:

Wait! I’ve forgotten something to do! I’ve forgotten to set “Saves quiet drive feature settings to drive” when changed the settings! Now I’m going to try the experiment again!

YESSSSSS!!! IT WORKED NOW!!! :smiley:

After the second experiment using the setting “Saves quiet drive feature settings to drive” my Pioneer DVR-217L now reads DVD and CD with fullll speed again!

Here the screenshots of the succesful experiment…

And here are the new transfer rate tests.

PS: Some good borscht and vodka make wonders happen. :smiley:

Glad you decided what was best, & extremely glad it worked out for you! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2693822]

I need to eat some borscht and drink 10 bottles of vodka with my bear. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well, congrats!

Hopefully anyone who reads that is clear about the risks involved…

For you it turned out perfectly. I still wouldnt vote for such a crossflashing. :wink: