Pioneer DVR-216DBK I/O Error

I attempted to burn an xbox360 backup on an 8x Ridata DVD+R DL at 4x, However the drive thought it was a 2.4x disc and began to burn. I don’t think it used the correct book type setting (It’s new by the way) and it has 1.09 firmware but it’s probably OEM. Anyway it burned 6% then said:

I/O Error!

Device: [2:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D 1.09 (D:) ATA

ScsiStatus: 0x02
Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 03 CE A0 00 00 20 00
Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors: 249504 - 249535

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0E 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 00 00 00
Interpretation: Invalid Address For Write

The DVD+R DL discs are also brand new so it’s not the disc’s and I’ve used these discs before, they work good.

So could this be a firmware issue, could someone point me in the right direction.

There is not a newer firmware released than the one you have.

Can you post the MID info of the disc, I would guess it would be RITEK S04 if it is 8x DL. This media is not good quality and can vary greatly batch by batch.

You don’t need to worry about booktype settings at DL media is automatically set to ROM by pioneer drives by default.

I would suggest trying a better DL media (Verbatim)

RITEK-D03-01 is the ID which is odd. it should be S04 but isn’t.

I Have a Lite-on 160p6s psoc that burns these discs without a problem so somethings definately not right.

@ steo2k9,

Your Pioneer DVR-216D Optical Drive problem is not a Firmware issue. Your problem is a poor quality problematic Media issue.

What is “definately not right” with Ridata DVD+R DL Media is that Ridata DVD+R DL Media is known proven well-documented poor quality problematic Media. A Google Search (http://www.google.com) and/or a CD Freaks Forum Search will support this Fact.

It has been passed numerous times throughout the Forum that the ONLY DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results is Verbatim MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. ALL other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided.

Suggest performing Disc Quality Scans of your Ridata DVD+R DL Media Burned in your Lite-On SHW-160P6S Optical Drive and you will find that Ridata DVD+R DL Media produces less than desirable results.

Regards,
bjkg

The reason you only get a 2.4x burn is that the D03 MID is not supported by the firmware. It therefore uses a default write strategy, and this leads to failed burns.

The discs may burn OK in the Lite-On as the MID is either supported, or the drives smartburn feature (learning mode) is being used.

So, how did you create that specific “xbox backup”?

Seems to be the REAL problem in this case.

Hi guys, I`m having the same problem as above. I have the same burner, just arrived today…

The media is : CMC MAG D01, HP Brand.

Im mentioning that I can write single layer DVDs just fine. The problem arises only on DL media as I`v seen.

I ruined 3 discs as far. This is weird as with this media I could write just fine with ASUS 20B1LT and with average-good results. Thats why I switched to Pioneer, so I could get consistent good results, but it doesnt seem that will happen…

Is the drive broken ? What can I do to fix this problem. Please help me in any way you can.

The error message is below :

PS : My MB is ASUS P5NE-SLI with nForce 650i chipset, with the lastest drivers, downloaded them today from nvidia.

Dual layer disks are manufactured with two different methods: the one Verbatim uses, and the one that doesn’t work. Try getting some Verbatim DL disks, and things should work much better (assuming there isn’t anything else that is wrong as well).
Falcon DLs appear good according to what various forum members have found so far, but alas they’re far more difficult to find than Verbatim.

Allright, so I`v bought Verbatim Printable DVD+R DL and it actually finished the writing process.

Here are the results :

So it`s written with Pioneer 216DBK and read with the ASUS drive as you can see.

Are these results OK ? I mean as I`v seen, the first layer is awesome, but the second starts to show some more errors. What do you think ?

The increase in errors is to be expected for all DL burns. Your increase is minimal, and still well within the limits for a good burn.

[QUOTE=vladgbv;2296752]Hi guys, I`m having the same problem as above. I have the same burner, just arrived today…

The media is : CMC MAG D01, HP Brand.

Im mentioning that I can write single layer DVDs just fine. The problem arises only on DL media as I`v seen.

I ruined 3 discs as far. This is weird as with this media I could write just fine with ASUS 20B1LT and with average-good results. Thats why I switched to Pioneer, so I could get consistent good results, but it doesnt seem that will happen…

Is the drive broken ? What can I do to fix this problem. Please help me in any way you can.

The error message is below :

PS : My MB is ASUS P5NE-SLI with nForce 650i chipset, with the lastest drivers, downloaded them today from nvidia.[/QUOTE]

LOL by looking at the connection type, says enough…

@chef could you please explain what you were trying to say ?

The DVD-RW is connected via SATA on the MB, just as a HDD would, and a DVD RW would be. Did I do something wrong, or do I have to modify some particular settings for it to work ok ?

Btw, I burned 3 verbatim DLs and they worked fine as iv said above.

Thanks in advance.

Then the media was really the problem in this case…

I expected the connection/set up to be the issue, but now its clear.

Okay, thank you guys for your answers.

I know this is an old thread but thanks for all the info, Ridata are terrible and hardly ever work, I also have a Lite-On ihas 324 and about 2 in 10 discs barely work while the other 8 don’t, then i tried TDK and they were great so thanks the media was just problematic.

I/O errors = bad media 99% of the time !