Pioneer DVR-216D won't write to Fuji DVD-RAMs

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVD Recorder DVR-216D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I installed a new Pioneer DVR-216D SATA drive in my computer and tried to write to the Fuji DVD-RAM media. Four different burner programs returned errors saying media was not valid (Ulead BurnNow reported back that media was a DVD-ROM). Pioneer tech support says their unit does write DVD-RAM and to try a different brand. My Fuji disks work fine in my Panasonic DVDR tuner/recorder for recording DTV programs (poor man’s TiVo). Before I rush out to buy another brand just to disprove Pioneer’s theory, I thought I’d check with the Freaks and see if someone else has a clue - I don’t think Pioneer has. Thanks!:confused:

It’s not uncommon for drives to have issues with various brands of media. Sometimes a firmware update can resolve the issue. Typically, it’s simply a matter of experimenting until you can find what works consistently.

The first recommendation for most burning issues is to try a different brand or type of media.

[QUOTE=stevedecho;2222924][qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVD Recorder DVR-216D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I installed a new Pioneer DVR-216D SATA drive in my computer and tried to write to the Fuji DVD-RAM media. Four different burner programs returned errors saying media was not valid (Ulead BurnNow reported back that media was a DVD-ROM). [B]Pioneer tech support says their unit does write DVD-RAM[/B] and to try a different brand. My Fuji disks work fine in my Panasonic DVDR tuner/recorder for recording DTV programs (poor man’s TiVo). Before I rush out to buy another brand just to disprove Pioneer’s theory, I thought I’d check with the Freaks and see if someone else has a clue - I don’t think Pioneer has. Thanks!:confused:[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

If indeed this is a 216[B]D[/B] then tech support is wrong as the the drive will have to be crossflashed to gain this feature. They will not tell you how but there is info here on crossflashing to gain some features.

Okay - since I have updated the firmware with Pioneer’s latest release, I’ll have to just give another brand a try. Too bad they can’t tell me what brands they know have worked.

[QUOTE=stevedecho;2222935]Okay - since I have updated the firmware with Pioneer’s latest release, I’ll have to just give another brand a try. Too bad they can’t tell me what brands they know have worked.[/QUOTE]

According to the Pioneer site they recommend Panasonic and Maxell.

[QUOTE=stevedecho;2222935]Okay - since I have updated the firmware with Pioneer’s latest release, I’ll have to just give another brand a try. Too bad they can’t tell me what brands they know have worked.[/QUOTE]Only because you have the [B]“D”[/B] version it will not. Same hardware as the others. If your interested in crossflashing to gain DVD-RAM writing then look here http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43868&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bob,

Before launching this thread, I had read through all the old threads regarding the difference between the 216 and the 216D, but nowhere did I see the actual procedure or firmware file to use, or any success story. And, Pioneer tech support is either lying or clueless because they say the latest firmware should work.

Check this link and click on the Media link, it’s a small PDF.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/BusinessProducts/Blu-rayDisc+DVDWriters/DVDComputerWriters/DVR-216D?tab=D

Hi,[QUOTE=stevedecho;2222950]
Before launching this thread, I had read through all the old threads regarding the difference between the 216 and the 216D, but nowhere did I see the actual procedure or firmware file to use, or any success story. [/quote]Indeed, that’s correct.

And, Pioneer tech support is either lying or clueless because they say the latest firmware should work.
seems, they don’t know their own products;)
Seriously, the [B]D [/B]series Pioneer DVD burners are not specified to write DVD-RAM. Just read the spec sheet from the link posted by Whappo.

In short: if you need DVD-RAM writing, the 216D is of no use for you (unless you are using other media also)

[QUOTE=Whappo;2222953]Check this link and click on the Media link, it’s a small PDF.[/QUOTE]Their media list is a joke. It states write speeds for DVD-RAM :rolleyes:
And the specs document from the same location does not list DVD-RAM in the write support section.

Michael

[QUOTE=Whappo;2222953]Check this link and click on the Media link, it’s a small PDF.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/BusinessProducts/Blu-rayDisc+DVDWriters/DVDComputerWriters/DVR-216D?tab=D[/QUOTE]Also click on POV and you will see no where it states that the 216[B]D[/B] will write to DVD-RAM. It will only read DVD-RAM and not write to it regardless what official 216[B]D[/B] firmware you flash it with.

The forum at http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?...st=0&sk=t&sd=a did not specifically list the 216D, so I posted a question there. I’ll also try a Panny or Max DVD-RAM before I go too crazy nuking firmware. I’ll update the forums (and Pioneer) with my results. Thanks all!