Pioneer DVR-216/D/R/XL, S16J

vbimport

[QUOTE=Albert;2266294]Burn 7, 1st burn with 1.06

Sony 8x DVD+R
YUDEN000 T02
"Optimal Writing Speed" enabled
selected 12x
effective 12x, Z-CLV

This is the kinda burn I’ve been missing since I’ve not been regularly writing T02. :clap:[/QUOTE]

Nice flat jitter :cool:.

[QUOTE=vroom;2266301]Nice flat jitter :cool:.[/QUOTE]

That jitter may be flat, but look at this…:eek:

Burn 8, burn 2 with 1.06.

Sony 16x DVD-R
SONY16D1 (Daxon Tech., Inc., Malaysia)
OWS enabled
Selected 18x
Effective 8x, P-CAV

This shows that there’s something with this batch of 16D1 where the PIE peaks [and there’s a bit of a PIF clump]. Still, the drive did a very good job, and 8x is great for these, especially in terms of jitter. :cool:

[QUOTE=Albert;2266347]That jitter may be flat, but look at this…:eek:

Burn 8, burn 2 with 1.06.

Sony 16x DVD-R
OWS enabled
Selected 18x
Effective 8x, P-CAV

This shows that there’s something with this batch of 16D1 where the PIE peaks [and there’s a bit of a PIF clump]. Still, the drive did a very good job, and 8x is great for these, especially in terms of jitter. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Great burn :clap:.

Burn 9 / Burn 3

Sony 16x DVD+R
SONY D21 (Daxon Tech., Inc., Taiwan)
OWS Enabled
Selected 6x
Effective 8x, P-CAV

Not nearly as good as the Malaysia 16D1. :frowning: This reminds me of the Japanese-made Sony media, though; consistency is pretty decent, and the batch still does up to 18x OK. And except for the jitter rise in the middle of the disc [shown as a PIE rise for the slim drive], it’s not that bad.

Burn 10 / 4.

Memorex 16x DVD-R
RITEKF1 (RiTEK Corp., Taiwan)
OWS disabled
Selected 18x
Effective 18x, CAV

Somewhere around the quality that my LiteOn drives do at 20x. Glad to see someone else overspeed this great MID*. I really like this burn. :clap: And this drive has no issue holding its speed, even with cruddy discs that would make other drives fall back to 8x and over a USB 2.0 connection being shared with multiple other devices. :bow: This drive has been WELL worth the money.

*: Great as long as you get A-grade stock, or even potentially B-grade, much like ProdiscF02.

Burn 11 / 5.

Sony 16x DVD-R
OWS disabled
Selected 6x
Effective 6x, CLV

The drive did as good of a job as it could. Jitter isn’t as low as the 8x burn, so I see how Pioneer decided to set 8x as the OWS speed.

Does the Pioneer 216D do QS scans? If so, does it support jitter scans?

[QUOTE=max_clif;2268101]Does the Pioneer 216D do QS scans? If so, does it support jitter scans?[/QUOTE]

No.

FW: 1.09 (MSCE’d for booktype)
MID: RITEKF16
Burn Speed: 16x

Burn 12/6

Memorex 8x DVD-R
CMC MAG AE1 (CMC Magnetics Corp., Taiwan)
OWS disabled
Selected & Effective at 12x, Z-CLV

No LiteOn scan, though I’m fairly certain it would have been far more optimistic than this. I like the burn, and I like my CMC MAG AE1. nice for 12x. :slight_smile:

Burn 13/7.

Verbatim 16x DVD-R
MCC 03RG20 (CMC Magnetics Corp. for MKM, Taiwan, MAP6)
OWS disabled
Selected & Effective 8x

Nice jitter [though not all that flat, still fairly low]. Nice, evenly-spaced PIF. :slight_smile:

Burn 14/8.

TDK 16x DVD+R
CMC MAG M01
OWS disabled
Selected & Effective 18x
Active/Walking OPC dropped the speed twice to end at 8x. [I was wondering if this drive even had the capability. :bigsmile:]

Some of my best CMC MAG M01. It seems that the scanning drives are not crazy with the relinks, but to varying degrees. No visible defects at the spot of the PIF peak. I’m guessing some microscopic issue was the reason for the first drop done before the issue presented itself more aggressively & required a second drop.

Ignoring the PIF peak, a very good burn. And the burn done mostly at the 18x RPM allowed a decent burn time of 5:45. :slight_smile:

Burn 15/9.

Verbatim Digital Movie 8x DVD+R
MCC 003 (PRODISC Technology, Inc., Taiwan)
OWS disabled
Selected & Effective 12x, Z-CLV

Very nice burn. Consistent PIF & jitter, even at 16x; nice PIE overall, too. :slight_smile:

Drive: 216D, 1.09
Verbatim DVD-R16x, CakeBox25, Taiwan, MCC 03RG20, #MAP702ME
Burned at 16x, 5:39

Just signed up and read pretty much this entire thread:iagree: It looks like 1.09 is going the be Pioneers final firmware for this drive (since it has not been updated since long). I hope I’m wrong here because the 215 goes up to v1.22?

I happen to own a DVR-215 and just bought a DVR-216 also. How do these drives compare when both on the latest firmware? Early consensus was the 215 is better. Is this still the case?

After rereading the thread I concluded the following:

DVD R + media are generally good to exellent burns
DVD R - media have varying results…(not so good for my R - Wii games:()
DVD R DL+ media, Verbatims have generally good results. Other often not so good results. But then we all now this is the only good choice for DL + media.

Should I be sending my 216 back and go for another 215? Too bad I have to spray the 215 black.

[QUOTE=Jeroen1000;2282806]Just signed up and read pretty much this entire thread:iagree: [B]It looks like 1.09 is going the be Pioneers final firmware for this drive (since it has not been updated since long).[/B] I hope I’m wrong here because the 215 goes up to v1.22?

[/QUOTE]

LOL.

Says who…?

I meant to make a (careful) assumption since there is now a new 217 drive on the market and the last update dates from november last year:).

Anyway, I find it hard to chose between the 215-217 range. Especially R - media have me worried. Futhermore, I’m researching whether IDE vs Sata has an impact…

ATAPI or SATA, depends on your mobo & controller used.
Probably a 216 is the best choice now.

Drive: 216D, 1.09
Verbatim DVD-R16x, MCC 03RG20, Taiwan
Burned with: Opti Drive Control v. 1.10
Burned at 12x, 6:11
Scanned with 20A4P, iHAS120 and PX-716A
I like how my drive burns MCC 03RG20 media

[QUOTE=Jeroen1000;2282842]I meant to make a (careful) assumption since there is now a new 217 drive on the market and the last update dates from november last year:).

Anyway, I find it hard to chose between the 215-217 range. Especially R - media have me worried. Futhermore, I’m researching whether IDE vs Sata has an impact…[/QUOTE]

I’ve got both the 115 and 215 and see no difference in performance. The 115/215 burn noticeably better than the 216 I have IMHO.

I’ve gotten better burns with +R over -R (SL) in the same type media, so much so that I stick with +R. (T02 vs TYG02, MCC003/4 vs MCCORG2/3 mostly). I’ve never tried -R DL.

I went to a lot of trouble to get the 2 x 215 drives I have after building a new system and trying to stick with SATA. I don’t regret it. One is sitting on the shelf in case the other one fails and I wouldn’t even dream of selling it.

I’m still watching the 117/217 results…