Pioneer DVR-216 can't do dual layer disc

vbimport

I’ve burnt a couple of dual layer disc with imgburn with this drive with the latest firmware flashed (v1.09). The burning freezes at 15% and on the second try at 35%. Even my ASUS drive which can’t do booktyping even burns dual layer disc properly. What the hell is up!!

@ davidw89,

For clarification concerning your ASUS DRW-2014L1T BookType Bit Setting comments – Your ASUS DRW-2014L1T does in fact support the BookType Bit Setting of DVD+R DL Media to DVD-ROM. It appears that your problem in your “ASUS DRW-2014L1T Booktype DVD ROM impossible” Forum posting thread is that the ASUS DRW-2014L1T does not support BookType Bit Setting of DVD+R SL Media to DVD-ROM.

Suggest reviewing the CDRinfo ASUS DRW-2014L1T review and under the topic “Media List - Booktype - DVD Overburning” note the comments concerning “BookType”. The ASUS DRW-2014L1T does not support BookType Bit Setting of DVD+R SL Media to DVD-ROM ->

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=22029

Concerning your Pioneer DVR-216 problem - What is the DVD Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: MKM001) of the DL Media you are experiencing difficulties with? If you are unaware Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: MKM001) can be obtained by using a utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com).

Regards,
bjkg

Hi there, dual layered disc:
Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66
I’m going to try this on my old Pioneer drive.

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111L 8.29 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 4,173,824
Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes
Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 6x, 8x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912
Changeable: Yes

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

@ davidw89,

It has been passed numerous times throughout the Forum that the only DL Media that consistently produces quality error free results in Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media. ALL other DL Media is considered suspect and should be avoided (not used).

Suggest using known proven Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media instead of your suspect RITEK-S04-66 DL Media.

I would like to correct incorrect information in my #2 posting in this thread. The ASUS DRW-2014L1T does not support BookType BitSetting of DVD+R, DVD+R DL and/or DVD+RW media. I miss-read the referenced CDRinfo review of the ASUS DRW-2014L1T Drive.

Regards,
bjkg

Hello,

I am new here and am thinking of purchasing a DVR-116DBK. Where do I go to buy the Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media? Most places don’t show a media code.

Thanks,
BobbyS

@ BobbyS,

Welcome to the Forum.

It would be helpful to state your location so that Forum Members can provide information on retailers of Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks,
Ok, sorry bout that. I am in Albuquerque,NM :o

BobbyS
You can buy Verbatim dual layer dvds at Best Buy if you want to shop locally. Buying online you can find them at Newegg.com, rima.com and supermediastore.com among other places.

I believe there is a reasonably good sale at the moment on Verbatim DL media at Newegg. The MKM001 are the 2.4x speed (which can be safely burned by most dvd burners at 4x), and the MKM003 are the 8x rated disks.

@ BobbyS,

Suggest checking out Rima.Com (http://rima.com). Besides having Verbatim DL Mitsubishi Kagaku Media they also have Taiyo Yuden Media.

Regards,
bjkg