Pioneer DVR-216 and DVR-216D difference

Hi,

I’ve just upgraded from my “old” (not that old :)) burner DVR-112 to the DVR-216D model.

I was gonna buy “pure” 216 model but the guy at the store assured me there’s no difference between regular models and the one marked with D.

Is it true? If it was so - I don’t think Pioneer would release different firmwares for DVR-216 and DVR-216D

Sorry if it is a lame question, but… It’s worth to know :wink:

I was so “smart” to figure out myself that BK stands for black and SV for silver :stuck_out_tongue:

The “D” models don’t support writing to DVD-RAM media (they support reading) while the non-D models do support writing to DVD-RAM media.

There is no hardware difference between the two models, and it’s possible to crossflash firmware from one model to the other if you know what you are doing (or can follow instructions to the letter). You will void your warranty by doing so, however.

If you don’t use DVD-RAM there’s no practical difference between the two drives (216 vs. 216D).

BTW I consider my DVR-112(L) superior to my DVR-116D in terms of burn quality. The 116 is the P-ATA version of the 216. So I wouldn’t necessarily call it an upgrade.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

@ mikolajek,

That is exactly what Pioneer and other DVD Burner Manufactures do. They have different Firmwares versions for DVD Burners of the same series. You could look at it as Pioneer having a ‘Crippled Firmware’ for the Pioneer DVR-216D that disables DVD-RAM Writing and that Pioneer has DVR-216 ‘Un-Crippled Firmware” enables DVD-RAM Read/Write. This type of ‘Crippled’/‘Un-Crippled’ Firmware strategy has been employed by CD/DVD Manufactures for many years.

Informed knowledgeable Firmware Modifiers are fully aware of the CD/DVD Manufactures ‘Crippled’/‘Un-Crippled’ Firmware strategy and release CrossFlashing information and utilities to the CD/DVD Flashing scene neighborhood. It appears that “The Guy At The Store” visits the CD/DVD Flashing scene neighborhood.

Regards,
bjkg

Strangely at least here in Germany the non-D 216 is not available anymore!! There’s only DVR-216D, DVR-216DBK and DVR-216DSV available in online stores. Anyone a clue why??

Also: Isn’t the difference being a good quality or a not so good quality 216 and therefore being physically(!) able or not able to write RAMs in a good quality? Do crossflashed “D” drives write as good RAMs as real non-D drives?

@ anikk,

Suggest reviewing Forum Member’s DrageMester #2 posting. There is no hardware difference between the Pioneer DVR-216D and the DVR-216. The only difference between the two drives is the Firmware.

There is no difference in the performance level of a ‘Real’ Pioneer DVR-216 and a Pioneer DVR-216D flashed to a DVR-216.

Regards,
bjkg

Hello guys, I’m new here and I want to ask for your oppinion regarding this drive (pioneer dvr-216d) Is it good? I will need it for heavy burning mostly. I want quality no matter the cost, not needing to buy another one in a couple of months because of failure.

@ Skazzy,

Welcome to the Forum.

Perhaps TerminalVeloCD’s “TerminalVeloCD Presents: The Pioneer DVR-216 Review” will be helpful ->

http://forums.speedlabs.org/index.php/topic,3137.0.html

Regards,

@[B]Skazzy[/B]:
There’s also the CDFreaks Pioneer DVR-116DBK Review (the 116D is the P-ATA version of the 216D drive).

Personally I’m not happy with the burn quality of my Pioneer DVR-116D on the DVD-R media that I have tested.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your answers guys, I really need to buy a new dvd-rw soon (the last samsung sh-203b) couldn’t read /write properly my dvd’s, and the lens were clean. The media that I will generally use will be Verbatim and Traxdata, could you point me to a bettr drive than pio’s 216?

[quote=Skazzy;2202094]The media that I will generally use will be Verbatim and Traxdata, could you point me to a bettr drive than pio’s 216?[/quote] In my opinion (not having tested any Traxdata media):

Pioneer DVR-215(D) if you can find it (or the DVR-115 P-ATA version)

Optiarc AD-5200/7200/7201/7203S if you can find them

Some shops may advertise the Pioneer DVR-215D but then ship its successor DVR-216D when they run out of stock (and similarly with other drives). This will depend on the shop.

@ Skazzy,

Are your certain that your Samsung SH-203B Drive “Couldn’t Read/Write Properly My DVD’s” problem isn’t related to the use of Traxdata (Ritek) Media?

Concerning Traxdata Media - Ritek manufactures Traxdata Media. At one time Ritek Media was highly regarded Media but in recent times Ritek manufactured Media is plagued with reflectivity/degradation problems and DL layer break problems.

Suggest performing a Google Search (http://www.google.com) for amplifying information on the Ritek Media issues.

Stick with known proven high quality error free Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden Media and you should not have any Media related problems.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks a lot for your informations DrageMester, I hope that I will find one of those drives. @bjkg I tried with different types of manufacturers, fact is that the drive stopped reading.

[QUOTE=anikk;2197626]Strangely at least here in Germany the non-D 216 is not available anymore!! There’s only DVR-216D, DVR-216DBK and DVR-216DSV available in online stores. Anyone a clue why??

Also: Isn’t the difference being a good quality or a not so good quality 216 and therefore being physically(!) able or not able to write RAMs in a good quality? Do crossflashed “D” drives write as good RAMs as real non-D drives?[/QUOTE]

That Qs were already answered again and again.
Just read around, even in this very thread.

There’s an answer in this thread why the non-D model is not available anymore?

[QUOTE=anikk;2204328]There’s an answer in this thread why the non-D model is not available anymore?[/QUOTE]

That is just because of the market, almost anyone bought the D model, so the outcome is just logical.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2201944]@[B]Skazzy[/B]:
There’s also the CDFreaks Pioneer DVR-116DBK Review (the 116D is the P-ATA version of the 216D drive).

Personally I’m not happy with the burn quality of my Pioneer DVR-116D on the DVD-R media that I have tested.

Welcome to CDFreaks! :)[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Do you think a firmware update would chnage this? i.e. improve the burn quality? What media do you normally use? I use YUDEN000T02.
I’m currently looking for a new buner and was considering the 116/216 or maybe a lite-on ihas422.

It seems like a lot of people rate the 115, maybe I should have another look for one of these.
Cheers

[quote=pez2;2210507]Do you think a firmware update would chnage this? i.e. improve the burn quality?[/quote] Maybe. Only time will tell.

Somehow I doubt it, since I’m getting problems with TYG02 as well as TYG03 with my Pioneer DVR-116D@116, and one would think those to be among the first media codes tested by Pioneer.

I’m getting out-of-spec PIF even at medium burn speed (tested as low as 6x) with otherwise good TYG02 and TYG03. :frowning:

What media do you normally use?
I use Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004) more than anything else.

At the moment I’m using Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T02) and Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD-R (MXL RG04) as my #2/#3 media.

I use YUDEN000T02.
Burns very nicely in most drives including my Pioneer DVR-116.

I’m currently looking for a new buner and was considering the 116/216 or maybe a lite-on ihas422.

It seems like a lot of people rate the 115, maybe I should have another look for one of these.
I don’t have personal experience with the LiteOn iHAS422 generation of drives. This could be a good choice if you need to perform Disc Quality Scanning of DVDs.

The Pioneer 115/215 series is very good if you can get any, but they don’t perform Disc Quality Scanning.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2210514]
Burns very nicely in most drives including my Pioneer DVR-116.

I don’t have personal experience with the LiteOn iHAS422 generation of drives. This could be a good choice if you need to perform Disc Quality Scanning of DVDs.

The Pioneer 115/215 series is very good if you can get any, but they don’t perform Disc Quality Scanning.[/QUOTE]

Cheers,
If the pioneer works ok with my yuden000 t02 media then i’m happy with that, i’ll check how that burns with the lite-on though.

May sound like a daft question but what is ‘Disc Quality Scanning’, i’m guessing it just checks the quality of a burn on a cd/dvd? If thats all it is then i probably won’t ever use it.

Thanks again