Pioneer DVR-215 Won't play AudioCD's properly (in XP)

vbimport

Hi,

I bought a new Pioneer DVR-215 SATA burner on the weekend. I went to try and play an Audio CD with it, but it sounds terrible. The audio is constantly ‘broken’, full of ticking as if the CD is very badly stratched, but still playable at the same time. It’s kind of hard to explain, I might be able to replicate it if anyone wants me to.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version off the Pioneer website. As far as I know, there is no other drivers or software I need to install. The problem is present in Windows Media Player and iTunes. I’m about to see if it present on my Vista installation.

Is there anything I can do, or will I have to use another drive?

Edit: It works fine in Vista, so this is a software related problem with XP.

Cheers,
Michael

Fixed it. Looks like the drive doesn’t like newer SATA2 ports, so I’m using an SATA1 port for now.

Will I notice any difference in performance using the SATA1 port?

Cheers,
Michael

SATA2 is for harddisks, SATA1 is the correct usage for optical drives. :wink:

what if your board only has native sata2 ports and nothing else? I’m on Intel’s new P35 based chipset.

Should be fine with P35.
The controller should recognize the SATA ODD as SATA1 device.

I actually plugged it into my SATA2 port by mistake. Everything else was working fine, except Audio CDs. My motherboard (ASRock 939-DualSATA2) is pretty old now, so it probably can’t detect the interface.

Thanks!

Your mobo info shows: “2 x SerialATA connectors support RAID,0,1,JBOD” which should work when set to NON-RAID.