Pioneer DVR-215 vs DVR-216

vbimport

I’m a bit confused by this new DVR-216 model. The DVR-215 is gone from newegg, and this new DVR-216 is a lot more expensive than the old one. Is the 216 model worth the extra cost, and how does it compare overall to the Pioneer DVR-215?

Can’t seem to find any reviews on the 216, I guess because it’s so new.

I can still get the 215 from Zipzoomfly.com, for around 30 bucks, so should I get that or the newer one?

You can find some differences between the 115 and 116 model here.

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200103/20010327DVD-116_5.html

IMO, the 216 will be an excellent step up from the 215 once Pioneer improves the burn quality for certain MIDs. From the Pioneer Aus. website:

[B]Superior high speed writing support[/B]

Pioneer DVR-216 boasts a greater range of overspeed burning support for common media types than any other drive. For example, 13 DVD-R and 10 DVD+R media types are supported at 20x, and 23 DVD-R and 16 DVD+R media types are supported at 18x, compared to single-digit numbers for all other drives on the market.

[B]Optimal Write speed setting[/B]

Even media sold under big brand names can vary in quality from batch to batch and this creates a situation where burning at high speed may not deliver the best results for any given media type. The Optimal Write speed setting enables the user to choose between best quality or fastest speed, providing improved burn quality for all media types when compared to just burning at full speed which would otherwise be the default. This is not a blanket “8x for all media types”, it will be customised for each media type.

[B]Lower noise than any other DVD writer at full speed[/B]

Another common complaint about high speed DVD burners is noise when spinning at full speed. As soon as you spin a disc faster, it creates more noise, primarily because the spinning disc creates turbulence within the drive, causing air to rush in. In order to reduce the noise made by the drive, we redesigned the drive chassis & bezel completely, first to limit the noise made in the first place, and secondly, to trap what noise is made and keep it within the drive. Air vents in the tray allow for air to stay within the drive and not get bottled up, and a new interlocking bezel design means we can control where air enters the drive. End result is that the DVR-216 is more than 25% quieter than the previous generation drive, and still more than 10% quieter than any other drive on the market.

[B]Increased resistance to dust[/B]

Dust is a major cause of premature drive failure. As a result of the new design, the DVR-216 is much more resistant to dust entering the drive. On an industry standard test, the DVR-216 performed more than 4 times better than the next best drive, and over 20 times better than a number of common models.

So is the burn quality of the 216 less than that of the 215 then?

A major difference or just slightly worse that can be fixed with firmware?

In my limited experience, the 16x, 18x and 20x burns are already superior to the 215. My only note of concern are my 8x TYG02 burns. They’ve been shockingly bad, but they should be rectified with new firmware updates. I presume Pioneer were more focussed on optimising the higher speeds.

Check the 216 results thread for more info/scans.

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2096117]You can find some differences between the 115 and 116 model here.

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200103/20010327DVD-116_5.html[/QUOTE]

That’s an review of DVD-ROM drives from 7 years ago. :doh:

[quote=humeyboy;2096204]That’s an review of DVD-ROM drives from 7 years ago. :doh:[/quote]Sorry. :o

You’re forgiven :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=wildben;2096090]I’m a bit confused by this new DVR-216 model. The DVR-215 is gone from newegg, and this new DVR-216 is a lot more expensive than the old one. Is the 216 model worth the extra cost, and how does it compare overall to the Pioneer DVR-215?

Can’t seem to find any reviews on the 216, I guess because it’s so new.

I can still get the 215 from Zipzoomfly.com, for around 30 bucks, so should I get that or the newer one?[/quote]

How is it more expensive than the 215D? It’s the same price as what the 215D was.

216D on NE at $30.99 as of 7/19/08.

Why don’t you educate yourself by checking out the scans and comments made by people who’ve tested the 216? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=KTL;2096225]How is it more expensive than the 215D? It’s the same price as what the 215D was.

216D on NE at $30.99 as of 7/19/08.

Why don’t you educate yourself by checking out the scans and comments made by people who’ve tested the 216? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I tried to educate myself actually, but there isn’t much info or reviews out yet. I did look at the quality scans thread… but I’m more interested in reviews of how durable these are, and how long they hold up over time. And how quiet they are of course. So give me a break man :stuck_out_tongue:

30.99 PLUS 8.25 shipping on newegg. Last time I saw the 215 it was 28.99 with free shipping or somewhere around there… so almost 10 bucks difference anyway.

[QUOTE=wildben;2096240]… And how quiet they are of course… [/QUOTE]

A graph by dvd-r.jpn showed the A-weighted noise of a dvr-216 was about [B]2 dB[/B] less than the dvr-A15 and about [B]6 dB[/B] less than than dvr-212.

Complete review of DVR-216: http://dvd-r.jpn.org/DVR-216/

The Buffalo variations of the DVR-116/216 were also announced in Japan.

http://buffalo.jp/products/new/2008/000744.html
http://buffalo.jp/products/catalog/storage/dvsm-sl20fb/
http://buffalo.jp/products/catalog/storage/dvsm-sl20fbs/

Buffalo claimed that the new models were [B]5.5 dBA[/B] less than the previous models.

old model DVSM-XL20: 56.0dBA
new model DVSM-SL20: 50.5dBA

The figure 5.5 dBA is not correct since 5.5 dBA is only a reduction of 0.003 from the original, i.e. about a reduction of 0.026 dB.

It should be [B]5.5 dB[/B] reduction of noise.

wildben,

The way I see it is the115D/215D has had nearly unanimous support, great burn quality and great scans to back it. You know this, you searched this forum and other places, I can tell. Do you really think the new models will be so much better than these? I doubt it. I myself just bought the 115D because this is a known entity.

The new models may end up being better, or just slightly better, but neither’s a guarantee. However, you won’t go wrong getting the old 215D, unless you get a lemon, or unless everyone here has been universally lying about it’s strengths. Plus, like you point out, it can be had for about 20% less (with shipping included) then the new (and not automatically better) one.

The drive is a brand new model and how do you expect to find out what that is today? :rolleyes: Go ask Pioneer for the MTBF then.

Provide a link then. I’m sure there are some who are willing to get the 215D for less.

The 216D uses a similar chipset as that of the 7200S, while it may not be “so much better,” but it does provide some improvement.

I just got the 216d, I have to say it’s exceptional. 20x burning with no errors. I’ve burnt about 50 verbatim dvd’s and some TY-G02 at 12x with no issues. Not sure how much better a 215 could possibly be.