Pioneer DVR 213LS Lightscribe DVD Writer 20x reviews/opinions?

vbimport

Hi
I looked around the cdfreaks and the web and couldn’t find any reviews/opinions about the Pioneer DVR 213LS dvd burner. Does anyone know about it?
I bought the Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA Lightscribe DVD Re-Writer (20x), however the burn quality a bit disappointing and not better than my previous burner (LG), so i’m looking for a better dvd & Lightscribe burner.

Thanks

[QUOTE=jr06;2069377]Hi
I looked around the cdfreaks and the web [B]and couldn’t find any[/B] reviews/[B]opinions about the Pioneer DVR 213LS[/B] dvd burner. Does anyone know about it?
I bought the Asus DRW-2014L1T SATA Lightscribe DVD Re-Writer (20x), however the burn quality a bit disappointing and not better than my previous burner (LG), so i’m looking for a better dvd & Lightscribe burner.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Then you need to use SEARCH again, I’m afraid.

@ jr06,

It has been stated numerous times in the CDFreaks Forum that the Pioneer DVR 213LS is just a ReBadged Asus 2014L1T.

A couple of months ago CDFreaks reviewed the Asus 2014L1T. If you desire information on the Pioneer DVR 213LS / Asus 2014L1T suggest referring to the CDFreaks Asus 2014L1T review ->

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/ASUS-DRW-2014L1T-LightScribe-Multi-DVD-Writer-Review

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=chef;2069459]Then you need to use SEARCH again, I’m afraid.[/QUOTE]

At the time i could only find post that mentioned it which was:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/informal-poll-how-fast-your-dvdfab-241549/

it didn’t really have much info about it

Also at the time (between me searching for info and posting my post) the below post wasn’t posted/replied to:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pioneer-dvr-213ls-dvd-burner-lightscribe-20x-sata-246066/

I really didn’t want to be a retard who doesn’t research it (on this site and the web) before making a post, unfortunately it probably doesn’t seem to look that way :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chef;2069459]Then you need to use SEARCH again, I’m afraid.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bjkg;2069502]@ jr06,

It has been stated numerous times in the CDFreaks Forum that the Pioneer DVR 213LS is just a ReBadged Asus 2014L1T.

A couple of months ago CDFreaks reviewed the Asus 2014L1T. If you desire information on the Pioneer DVR 213LS / Asus 2014L1T suggest referring to the CDFreaks Asus 2014L1T review ->

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/ASUS-DRW-2014L1T-LightScribe-Multi-DVD-Writer-Review

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

Thanks, when I did a search on the model number (for the pioneer), nothing really came up.
Good to know it’s just a rebadge of the Asus 2014L1T, that particular one is what i’ve bought and aren’t that happy about, wouldn’t want to have essentially bought the same burner twice.

I’ve found the burning quality of the Asus model to be just fine.
As for the Pioneer, if it’s a rebadged Asus then it must be the first Pioneer model to support bitsetting out of the box!

Oh really? So DVD+R DL never had bitsetting support from real Pioneer drives?

[QUOTE=KTL;2084691]Oh really? So DVD+R DL never had bitsetting support from real Pioneer drives?[/QUOTE]

I meant full bitsetting. Sorry to confuse you bud :clap:

I wasn’t confused, just pointing out your lack of complete information.

[QUOTE=bjkg;2069502]It has been stated numerous times in the CDFreaks Forum that the Pioneer DVR 213LS is just a ReBadged Asus 2014L1T.[/QUOTE]Hi folks. I joined because of bjkg’s observation above from a couple months ago. I too noticed the rebadging statements mentioned here at CDFreaks, and since considering the Pioneer, it got my attention. The problem is, that apparent [U]rumor[/U] seems to be ONLY here! I can’t find anyone else saying that.

And generally, it is my experience that rebadged drives have similar specs. No? But according to Newegg, these don’t!
[B][U]Pioneer DVR-213LS[/U][/B]

[INDENT]WRITE Speed

[INDENT]CD-R 40X
DVD+R DL 10X
DVD-R DL 10X
DVD-RAM 12X
READ Speed

CD-ROM 40X[/INDENT] [/INDENT][B][U]ASUS DRW-2014L1T[/U][/B]

[INDENT]WRITE Speed

[INDENT]CD-R 48X
DVD+R DL 8X
DVD-R DL 8X
DVD-RAM 14X READ Speed
DVD-ROM 16X
CD-ROM 48X[/INDENT][/INDENT]
It would seem the makers agree:
[B][U]Pioneer Spec Sheet[/U][/B]
[B][U]ASUS Spec Sheet[/U][/B]One big difference between the two that interested me is the Pioneer comes with a fully licensed Nero Suite, while the ASUS comes with Trial software. That may well justify for many purchasing the more expensive Pioneer.

If you think it is just a rumor, get the firmware updates for both drives and unpack them with upx. You will get ~9 MB flasher files which have the same internal structure when you look inside with a hex editor. Anymore doubts ?

[QUOTE=ala42;2124586]If you think it is just a rumor, get the firmware updates for both drives and unpack them with upx. You will get ~9 MB flasher files which have the same internal structure when you look inside with a hex editor. Anymore doubts ?[/QUOTE]Same internal [I]“structure”[/I]? That proves nothing except perhaps the drives, or more likely the firmware modules were coded by same development team.

I cannot speak for any other pair of ASUS/Pioneer drives! I am not saying the ASUS DRW-2014L1T drive and the Pioneer DVR 213LS drive are not made by the same OEM maker. But I am saying [U]this[/U] Pioneer is [U]not[/U] simply a rebadge and [U]this[/U] ASUS.

As far as me going back to look and dispel the rumor? No! As far as I am concerned, I’ve already done that by showing the differences - with references! From 3 sources.

Some common sense needs to come into play here - it makes no sense for ASUS to publish 8X DVD specs, for example, when it is capable of 10X. Same for the Pioneer - why would it publish CD-R of 40X if it really supports 48X? That’s just poor marketing - something neither company is known for.

Pioneer is known to have its drives not write CD-R above 40x. A person from Pioneer has stated that this is PIONEER’S CHOICE, and they don’t feel the need for any faster writing. A simple tweak in the Asus firmware could allow that. The same for DVD-RAM.

Pioneer and Asus have a tight-knit relationship…it would make sense that Pioneer would OEM an Asus drive, just as Asus used Pioneer drives.

The specifications on Newegg for the 213LS are different from what is on Pioneer’s site. DVD[U]+[/U]R DL is limited to 8x on Pioneer’s site & the specs sheet. No change there.

Some media shown in the media table in MCSE, are oversped to speeds that Pioneer itself has not done with its own drives/firmware. They match that of the corresponding Asus firmware.

Both drives have the same hardware, and the hardware is close to previous Asus designs [obviously, not the same, as the older drives only have to write at 16x, etc etc]. This includes similar dimensions.

Both firmware updates use the Asus firmware flasher, and [as Ala42 said] unpack to similar sizes only some bytes off from one another. [A Hex editor shows that they both use the same or similar Asus flashers].

The drive appears to actually scan properly–a trait that other true Pioneer drives do NOT have, and that the Asus DOES have.

The similarities far outweigh the differences, and the few differences can be explained by precedent [these practices have been done before]. It looks like an Asus in Pioneer clothing. It performs like an Asus in Pioneer clothing. Therefore, it’s an Asus in Pioneer clothing.

:slight_smile:

Well, I sure didn’t seek a forum that focuses on the topic to dispute what appears to be general knowledge by regulars. I came here to learn and I’m doing that. Sorry about the specs on DVD+R DL 8X, that I missed. I still have a problem you suggesting that Pioneer would dummy down a drive to 40x. Either that or ASUS is doing it before it leaves the factory. But then all someone would have to do is use the ASUS flasher, then the specs would be the same, no?

Or do I have it all wrong?

Pioneer and Asus have a tight-knit relationship…it would make sense that Pioneer would OEM an Asus drive, just as Asus used Pioneer drives.
Well, I do not know the specifics of these two companies, but I know the industry pretty well and I think it more likely ASUS and Pioneer have a shared venture in a 3rd party company with factories in China, Taiwan, etc.

Well, here’s a previous example of the speed thing:

Sony decided to use Samsung as its supplier for its last retail US drive, the DRU-840A. Samsung’s drive originally called for 40x reading, and 48x writing on CD-R. Sony then had a firmware done [or made one itself, whichever] that locked to drive to 40x on both normally, or allowed 48x on both with a firmware boost.

on that same drive: the hardware the drive uses is shared with a Samsung model which supports 16x on DVD+R DL, but their [Sony’s] firmware only allows 12x max.

Another example: Samsung has various…err, variants of a given drive, known retail by the SH-S182 series. It has 3 variants of firmware, at the least. 1 variant uses pure CAV for writing to CD-R at 40x, the other two use P-CAV. [That may be reversed].

Back on topic: It is possible that Pioneer and Asus DO have a joint venture. I can’t dispute that. :slight_smile: Anything’s possible, eh? :wink: Still though, in the ODD industry, mostly every joint venture has had representation of both parties in the product names, on product stickers, etc. There’s none of that here, which wouldn’t be all too normal. I’d think that Asus would make good use of being paired with Pioneer to improve its reputation.

Still, in the grand scheme of things, if we had to apply a “style” to this drive, it definitely reflects Asus’s personality more than Pioneer’s. :iagree:

@ Digerati,

If you expend a little effort and perform a Google Search (http://www.google.com) on the topic you will find numerous Other WWW “[B]RUMOR[/B]” postings stating the Pioneer DVR 213LS is a ReBadged Asus 2014L1T.

Below are just a few examples of what a Google Search (http://www.google.com) will reveal.

TerminalVeloCD’s posting ->

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/942861.html

Posting #11 ->

zsl1010’s posting ->

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/decoding-pioneer-new-model-names-t24044.html

Regards,
bjkg

I’d think that Asus would make good use of being paired with Pioneer to improve its reputation.
That works both ways - Pioneer has a decent reputation in the audio/HT industry while ASUS does in the computer industry. Certainly, Pioneer has been making (branding?) optical drives longer than ASUS - so Win/Win there.

Now where’s that $50 blu-ray?

If you expend a little effort and perform a Google Search
Now was that necessary, bjkg? :frowning: I mean, Duh? How do you think I found this forum?

I did not put a link in my sig to boast. I put it there to show I am not ignorant to the ways of the world, nor am I new to forums. While forums are a great source of information, they are not the gospel, and in fact are often the source of misinformation. I learned long ago to go to the source, and not take too much stock in hearsay that cannot be substantiated from reputable, solid sources.

For that reason, I seek out white papers, manufacturer spec sheets, and reviews done by recognized experts and trained testers in testing facilities with test equipment using established testing protocols. I found none of that in my searching, hence my reason for coming here. All you did was point to comments by other posters in other forums! That’s not evidence of anything, except they heard the same rumor too!

…you will find numerous Other WWW “[B]RUMOR[/B]” postings
Thank you! Exactly my point. You found 3. Now can you show one that is not someone repeating what someone else heard somebody say?

We don’t have to prove anything. It’s your job, as the contrarian, to prove that it isn’t a rebadge. We have decades of accumulated experience with these devices that allows us to intuit and extrapolate, yes, even from so-called rumor, to know what something is. We’re the experts. Now, you prove us wrong.

just get a 215D and forget about it :slight_smile:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2116301-post2.html

from pioneer
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/DVD-Burners/Serial+ATA+DVD+Burners/ci.DVR-215D.Shop