Pioneer DVR-212D Problem

I have a Pioneer DVR-212D SATA, the firmware for it is 1.24. I bought it just last week.
My motherboard it’s on is a MSI Neo P965 Conroe board, I’ve installed all the latest drivers I could find on their website.
I’ve noticed that burning Memorex DVD+Rs that can be burnt at 16x (My brothers samsung drive burns these at 16x) But my drive will go max 12x.
Using Nero with it’s infotool, it states that the max read for my drive is 8x and write is 12x. I had an LG that used to burn these discs at 16x, I bought a new one for the SATA mostly.

I can’t figure out why it won’t burn any fast. InfoTool shows max is 12x, Pioneer’s website gave me a pdf for write tests or something, showing this brand being able to write at 16x. I’m seriously stumped and confused.

Any help at all?

@ MatCon5,

Welcome to the Forum.

DVD Burner Firmware determines the Burning Speed of any particular Media. The DVD Burner Firmware looks at the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) and determines the write strategy for the particular Media. The Pioneer DVR-212D 1.24 version Firmware is what is the determining the Burning Speed for your Memorex DVD+R Media. The Manufacture rated speed for the Memorex DVD+R Media might be 16x speed but Pioneer is fully aware that your particular Memorex DVD+R Media has a rich well-documented history of being poor quality problematic Media and to prevent poor quality Burn results has wisely limited the Burning speed of the Pioneer DVR-212D 1.24 version Firmware for your particular Memorex DVD+R Media to 12x speed.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of your poor quality problematic Memorex DVD+R Media and obtain known proven quality Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media which consistently produces quality error free results. Pioneer DVR-212D 1.24 version Firmware supports Burning quality Media such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media at the Manufactured Media rated speed.

Regards,
bjkg

Thank you for the info, I’ll get some better media.