Pioneer DVR-212D - Improper Bitsetting?

Hey there, guys!

Recently I replaced my fading away OEM dvd drives (forgot the name, was from a Fry’s special in 05) with a Pioneer DVR-212D.

I’ve been trying to burn DVD+R DL discs (Verbatim, of coarse), but I keep getting sector write errors, in Imgburn.

I’m not quite sure what the problem is, but I did find some interesting tidbits to clue me in on the problem.

For one, I assume Pioneer sets the booktype to DVD-ROM on DVD+R DL? Well… It’s set to DVD+R

Below is the pasting from DVDInfoPro:
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID MKM 001
Media Product Revision Number 00h
Format Capacity Blank Disc
Free Blocks 4253024256
Free Capacity 7.96GB/8.55GB
Book Type DVD+R DL
Media Type DVD+R DL
Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Data area starting sector 30000h
Layer 0 end sector 22D7FFh
Linear Density 0.293um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 2
Layer Track Path direction (OTP) Opposite track path

I’m not quite sure if that’s right, but shouldn’t that be DVD-ROM?

What would be the easiest way to confirm the problem and find a workaround? I did see a patcher, but no instructions on how to use it properly, or what part of the firmware to patch to get the proper booktype. The firmware is 1.24, by the way…

Would it be easier to return the drive to Fry’s (Assuming it was made before a certain month in 2007, before it was fixed) and get a new one?

Thanks for the help!

A quick update…

My Macbook Pro does the same thing, using the profile DVD+R and not DVD-ROM, until the actual disc is burnt.

I’m not quite sure how to troubleshoot the problem further.

Does anyone have any idea?

Booktyping occurs AFTER the burning, and will not report a booktype of DVD-ROM until after the disc is written [at least, that’s the way it is with my DVR-112, and all my other drives].

Pioneer drive automatically booktype all DVD+R DL to DVD-ROM. So you’ll have to write a disc with it and test to see if it is reported as booktype to find out if it has worked. :iagree:

Slightly o/t: With other drives that bitset DVD+RW to DVD-ROM, you can bitset a new, never-written +RW to -ROM. That’s the only time before writing that you can bitset as such. Like all other cases, you cannot undo the bitsetting for that disc. :wink:

yes this is the only way is works on the pioneer burners. the AD-7170A drive it will read rom before but this is the only drive I know of that does this

[QUOTE=Albert;2023348]Booktyping occurs AFTER the burning[/QUOTE]
This could sound a little misleading - it’s just part of the burn process. Probably just one Byte on the written disc.

Quite right. I thought about that after I posted. :doh:

Hi :slight_smile:
@ Albert,
What you’ve said. "Booktyping occurs AFTER the burning"
Is wrong.
What you meant (Liggy’s point) "it’s just part of the burn process"
Bitsetting is merely rewriting the (or more acurately adding to) the 4 bits of info that tell your device what media type has been inserted.
What I believe you meant to say, was that visible proof of bitsetting can only be seen after the burning of said DVD.
The exception being DVD+RW, where bitsetting can take place both before & after the burning sequence.
BTW I merely post this so that those who were unclear, are hopefully not.
Albert you’re additional post confirms what most of us had thought. :cool:

[quote=zebadee;2023834]Hi :slight_smile:
@ Albert,
What you’ve said. "Booktyping occurs AFTER the burning"
Is wrong.
What you meant (Liggy’s point) "it’s just part of the burn process"
Bitsetting is merely rewriting the (or more acurately adding to) the 4 bits of info that tell your device what media type has been inserted.
What I believe you meant to say, was that visible proof of bitsetting can only be seen after the burning of said DVD.
The exception being DVD+RW, where bitsetting can take place both before & after the burning sequence.
BTW I merely post this so that those who were unclear, are hopefully not.
Albert you’re additional post confirms what most of us had thought. :cool:[/quote]
Yes, zebadee, you hit the nail on the head. Thanks. :flower:

[QUOTE=derelicte;2023274]
I’ve been trying to burn DVD+R DL discs (Verbatim, of coarse), but I keep getting sector write errors, in Imgburn.
[/QUOTE]

Please post a log.
Mostly the issues come from the controller.