Pioneer DVR-117D, is it dead?

vbimport

I’ve been using a pioneer DVR-117D i pulled out of an old power mac to burn my gamecube games because it burns at 1x while my never tsst drive only goes down to 4x. Anyway, i burned 2 discs with it yesterday and neither of them worked, so i reburned the first one and it didnt work either. I looked at the back of the disc and it looks like the dye hasnt changed color at all, like its a fresh dvd-r. IMG, however, tells me that there was a session opened on the disc (i forgot to check if it had closed it, but i can do that later).

It seems like the laser is only turning on to open the session, but doesnt write any data. Is there any way to test the drive without burning more coasters? I have a dvr-105 laying around that should work well enough for me if the 117d is dead, but i dont want to toss the 117d if it still has some life in it.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If a burner is damaged, it is not able to write at all a disc, so I don’t think that the drive can be damaged because it “forgot” to close a session.

It seems more a software problem. What burning software are you using?

It could be also a media issue. What discs are you using (I mean what brand)?

I am using ImgBurn in XP to write everything, except for one disc which i used Disc Utility in OSX Leopard for (same drive though, i just moved it over to my power mac).

Im using HP dvd-rs, which are admittedly pretty awful, but they’ve never given me problems in the past, and work fine on my tsst drive for wii games. I’ve tried writing to some Ritek G04 mini-dvds and 2 out of 4 have failed as well.

[QUOTE=nosmokingbandit;2514936]
[B]It seems like the laser is only turning on to open the session, but doesnt write any data.[/B] Is there any way to test the drive without burning more coasters? I have a dvr-105 laying around that should work well enough for me if the 117d is dead, but i dont want to toss the 117d if it still has some life in it.[/QUOTE]

That can’t be unless you had received some burning errors, but the disc would be a coaster anyway.

To fully exclude the disc as cause, try to burn a Verbatim. If burning is completed without errors, then get rid of these HP media :bigsmile:

I dont have any other media around other than the HP and Ritek discs, so i tried burning a few on my DVR-105 and everything worked perfectly and IMGBurn verified it without any hiccups. I did find out that my Ritek G04 discs just dont like 1x and tend to crap out, but at 2x they work perfectly and my GC still reads them fine. I’ll just sit my 117d in my closet until i need to buy more dvds, then i’ll get something that doesnt suck. The HPs were only like $5 for a spool of 100 at office max, so i couldnt help myself :wink:

Maybe the problem is indeed the burning speed.

For example, 16x certified media (even the low quality ones) usually give better results if burned at high speed (12x in most of cases, and anyway not under 8x).

Any speed under 8x can give ugly results.

My Pioneer burners can burn such mini-dvds beautifully, these discs are limited to 2x writespeed. And: they are DVD-RW. :smiley: